Bike Hub Weight Challenge 2019

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can go on shorter rides without eating beforehand if it's a morning ride. I actually need to be careful of what and how much I eat beforehand as I tend to get stomach cramps if I overdo it. A banana works well for me. I rarely eat on rides, but most of my rides are less than 2 hours.

Post ride is where I sometimes pig out a little... "it's for recovery" is my excuse :P

https://trainright.com/cyclists-eat-too-much/

This very much applies to me. Though I don't eat much on shorter rides, I usually have something. If I'm starting off with 1600 calories of stored carbohydrate I shouldn't be eating AT ALL on anything shorter than 2.5 hours.... Probably not even sports drink.

Then after long rides I gorge myself, which doesn't help either. You've been burning fat on your 5 hour ride and you certainly don't want to replenish ALL those calories.

For myself I found that any ride shorter than 3 hours just water is enough, even without breakfast.. and those are my rides to help with weightloss. Longer than 3 hours I eat half a Ba! Energy bar or half a banana every 1.5 hours and I make sure I had a little bit of breakfast. On longer rides I also take one bottle water and one bottle energy drink, and these rides are about endurance and not weightloss for me. If I start eating later than 1.5hours I'm leaving it too late and I'll probably bonk around the 4-5 hour mark.

But I have also lately fell in the "reward myself" trap. Especially on weekends after longer rides I'll tell myself it's okay to reach for that 3rd, 4th, 5th beer and the extra braaibroodjie because I just rode a 100km..and so the weight has been pretty much standing still between 90-92kg for the past 3 months.

Also a good point about calculating calories burned. There is a noticeable difference between the TomTom site (from the gps watch data) and the exact same activity uploaded to Strava. I guess it becomes more accurate if you have heart rate and power meter data.

Edited by Jacquers

April was a bad month for me with my son's birthday and all the pubic holidays. Also next to no riding done. Hoping for a better May.

Got this email just now. Well thanks Strava! Like I needed reminding of what a trainsmash April was..f4b8e6723d25d74df2d1685dec35a519.jpg

I hit the gym today for the first time in 2019. This after poking the scale at 120kg yesterday...
I had a bit of a tumble which resulted in time off the bike, and an increase in weight and a proportionate decrease in fitness.

So, now I restart the effort of losing all that gained rubbish, and also improving my fitness.

To start, I hit the treadmill, rowing-thingamabob, and ended with a half-hour full-tilt spin at zone 4/5. I am also going to be chucking all the choccies my wife keeps stashing in the grocery cupboard at home.

Here's to a restart of trying to achieve my goal of sub-100kg by year end.

On Saturday I Had my first ride back after doing my ribs and recovering from flu, but had to cut it short at the 22k mark cos of an extremely tight chest.

Went for a chest x-ray to properly rule out any cracks (was certain there were none, but still) and to check the lungs, cos I was wheezy as fark yesterday. Diagnosis of Viral Bronchitis, as well as extensive soft tissue damage on my right upper intercostals and ribs.

Yay.

On Saturday I Had my first ride back after doing my ribs and recovering from flu, but had to cut it short at the 22k mark cos of an extremely tight chest.

Went for a chest x-ray to properly rule out any cracks (was certain there were none, but still) and to check the lungs, cos I was wheezy as fark yesterday. Diagnosis of Viral Bronchitis, as well as extensive soft tissue damage on my right upper intercostals and ribs.

Yay.

What's that got to do with what goes in your mouth (other than a lozenge)?

What's that got to do with what goes in your mouth (other than a lozenge)?

Nothing, it's a post relating to activity levels and the frustration of not actually being able to do much at this point. Cabin fever deluxe, man.

Nothing, it's a post relating to activity levels and the frustration of not actually being able to do much at this point. Cabin fever deluxe, man.

Watch what you eat and you can drop the cm's and kg's without lifting a finger. But yeah, I can imagine it must be frustrating. 

Yay.

Aye, that sucks. Heal up fast, Captain.

dont feel bad i hit 108.6 kg at the last weighin...i dont have any excuses ...the bottom line i just havent felt like doing anything this year other than eat the fridge and sweet cupboard contents...only leaving the steel racks in place...living on bread...just because it is easy to make a sarmie with peanut butter...went to register to enter the tour durban....the que was a good enough excuse to get out of doing the 45 km. 

shorts are slipping off the gut again...pull them up onto the gut 2 minutes later they back below the gut again ...Tshirts are getting tight...went out to a function and had to wear jeans and a button up shirt ...man it so flippen uncomfortable. 

Always feeling ill ...had a cold for a week ...something i havent had in a while ...headaches every morning...starting to eat pills again for the headaches...last week i made the effort to get up and walk at 5am...2 days later i could barely move i was so stiff...so sad.

the crazy rollercoaster of life hey, gets most of us.

Heal up soon Myles.

Thanks, VeeBee. Anti inflams are doing their job, as are teh bronchitis meds. Should be back on the bike again (2nd return) on Thursday. Can't ride this weekend 'cos I have the little one, but the IDT is being dusted off again for later this week.