mecheng89

On the whole mine has been pretty good - but I did have the odd issue here and there.

At one point when I was having general issues with my 810, I cleared out all my old rides and offline maps from my device.  The garmin as a whole functioned a lot better after this.  Although not specific to LiveTrack, its worth giving a go.

Also, LiveTrack is dependent on cell signal.  I guess if you are in an area without cell signal, the process may fall over?  Never investigated this, so just guessing.  Would be a design flaw if this was the case...

Will try that out.

One of the occurrences was 947. But I suspect you are correct. Nothing much one can do about that. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be that the phone's software closes Garmin Connect, in trying to save battery?

I don't have a Garmin, but my phone (Nokia 6.1) was killing the Lezyne app before it could even send the tracking mail to my wife.

I followed the instructions on http://dontkillmyapp.com/ , to completely remove Nokia's extra battery "protection" crap, and the live tracking worked perfectly for a 7+ hr ride this past weekend.

Perhaps I should ask: “What are the reason(s) for using Live Tracking?”

I don’t see the point and neither does the wife. If there’s a problem, a simple phone call will suffice (happened twice, once to meet me at casualties after an OTB crash, and the second time when I punctured on a solo ride).

Perhaps there are concerns when riding to meet up mates - fair enough. Again, a simple [emoji1338]or [emoji1322]‍[emoji3603] in Whatsapp works well.

I don’t see the point and neither does the wife. If there’s a problem, a simple phone call will suffice (happened twice, once to meet me at casualties after an OTB crash, and the second time when I punctured on a solo ride).

Perhaps there are concerns when riding to meet up mates - fair enough. Again, a simple [emoji1338]or [emoji1322]‍[emoji3603] in Whatsapp works well.

My GF insists on it. I ride a lot on my own. If something were to happen to me that left me in a position that I was not in a position to call her, she would be able to see where I was, and hopefully where I am.

WA tracking unfortunately does not give you the option so see where someone was. So I use another app for live tracking that give the where I was.

Edited by GaryvdM

Out riding on your own and get into a situation where you are lying in the gutter unconscious.

I take my dad recent hit and run as an example.

He was so dazed after he came to that he did not think to phone for help. Luckily for him someone stopped, hate to think what would have happened if they didn’t.

I’d rather have multiple emergency plans than rely on just one.

So I’ve got

Live tracking

ICE band on helmet

ICE info on lock screen of phone (no need to do anything to see ICE info)

Emergency info configured on phone so that first responders can call ICE contacts without unlocking

Garmin crash detection

Find my friends app so wife has another way to track my phone.

Our club ride is 6am. I only leave work 6am so always 20 mins behind chasing. Livetrack allows me to find them allong the route pretty accurately on the garmin HUD

It works 100%. I also have a Samsung s9. Besides obviously having your bluetooth on to your head unit, you MUST activate your location on your phone. You won't have issues after this.

I had the same issues when I only used bluetooth.

It works 100%. I also have a Samsung s9. Besides obviously having your bluetooth on to your head unit, you MUST activate your location on your phone. You won't have issues after this.

Our club ride is 6am. I only leave work 6am so always 20 mins behind chasing. Livetrack allows me to find them allong the route pretty accurately on the garmin HUD

I’m curious as to how to do that. I did not know that it was possible to track someone on Livetrack on the Garmin itself. Please explain how to do it? I have a Garmin Edge 520.

Create a group on Garmin connect and add buddies to the group .. As far i I know it only works with Bluetooth compatable Garmin units , 510, 520, 810,820, 1000 and 1030... Obviously everybody must have livetrack on.. Mine is set to auto start.

Good luck .. Its actually very cool for racing so you know where your guys are in the bunch .. Well on days when you can keep up with the pack , lol

Out riding on your own and get into a situation where you are lying in the gutter unconscious.

I take my dad recent hit and run as an example.

He was so dazed after he came to that he did not think to phone for help. Luckily for him someone stopped, hate to think what would have happened if they didn’t.

I’d rather have multiple emergency plans than rely on just one.

So I’ve got

Live tracking

ICE band on helmet

ICE info on lock screen of phone (no need to do anything to see ICE info)

Emergency info configured on phone so that first responders can call ICE contacts without unlocking

Garmin crash detection

Find my friends app so wife has another way to track my phone.

I don’t ride on my own, except from home to meet up with the club. All club rides are pre-planned, so the route is known ahead of time.

I do run on my own, but don’t carry my phone with me. I stay in my suburb, and won’t be more than 2km from home at any point on the route. She knows I’m going for a 30-min run, so if I’m not back after an hour then there is a problem. She then knows which roads I run on and can drive it (if necessary).

ICE details are also on me, as well as Find My Friends on both our phones.

I don’t ride on my own, except from home to meet up with the club. All club rides are pre-planned, so the route is known ahead of time.

I do run on my own, but don’t carry my phone with me. I stay in my suburb, and won’t be more than 2km from home at any point on the route. She knows I’m going for a 30-min run, so if I’m not back after an hour then there is a problem. She then knows which roads I run on and can drive it (if necessary).

ICE details are also on me, as well as Find My Friends on both our phones.

Fair enough, for you then its not necessary, but there are many of us that benefit from this.

I have a Garmin 820 and Samsung 9.

Live track worked perfect a few months ago, then stopped. 

Live track sends an email, but only shows the large map of Africa, without zooming in on my location and ride.

Tried reinstalling Garmin connect 3 times. phone connects with Garmin on bluetooth.

Not sure what the issue is...

I found something on Garmin Connect:

I reinstalled Garmin Connect on my Samsung 9 and paired the Garmin 820.

I setup the email notifications. When you start Live track, you still need to select email as a notification again. When I did this, it seemed to work.

Here we go.

check your data files and see if you are having the same issue i am having.

info is in the below thread

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/164977-garmin-520-recording-issue/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3441057

long and short.

my units drops all connections - ANT+ and Bluetooth - then reconnects them.

the issue is it does not reconnect them correctly.

as such live track stops working as does my radar unit.

That never used to be the case, makes zero sense. Will give it a bash the next time around.