Indoor trainers

LeonvT

9 minutes ago, splat said:

While on the topic of indoor trainers: Rouvy or Zwift ?

I like Rouvy more but Zwift interfaces with my analytics software better when it come to pulling and pushing workouts. So it really depends on how you 're going to use the Augmented Reality Platform

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, splat said:

While on the topic of indoor trainers: Rouvy or Zwift ?

It depends.

Rough is nice for custom routes.

Zwift is cool for the ability to switch between ERG and Slope/Incline/Resistance mode on the fly. 

Both can accept custom workouts to be uploaded.

1 hour ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Or buy some *proper* winter kit (R10k can get you a fair way) and keep on riding outside on all but the very worst days... 😜

i dont mind the weather - but tokai in the wet isnt very kind to my drivetrain 😬

1 hour ago, TyronLab said:

I tried the dumb trainer thing (CycleOps Fluid 2) with a HR monitor and some self-inflicted / controlled intervals. When I was up and doing it it was fine, but actually getting out into the garage from the bed had a 20% success rate.

Then tried dumb trainer + sensors on Zwift, but found that it was very inaccurate, to the point where it made the guided workouts meaningless.

Got to borrow a friend's KickR 5 for two weeks and it genuinely transformed the virtual experience. I then started loving Zwift, especially the racing aspect. It got me out of bed, it got me pumped, and I ended up working pretty hard. The other attempts I made paled in comparison to having a good direct drive trainer. I wouldn't go with anything "lower" than a controllable smart trainer right off the bat.

Slightly off topic,

I had to return the KickR though, faced with the decision of forking out R10k+ and an expensive monthly subscription to keep doing that. I realized that actually riding bikes is the reason I ride bikes. To me, as good as it was, I don't really give that much of a **** about how fit I am as long as I'm fit enough that it doesn't hold me back from adventuring or enjoying my riding. I bought a second bike (for fun) and a second set of full winter kit for 1/4 of that and haven't looked back.

reason i have a bike is bcoz i need the outdoors to calm my soul , but since coming off from a double fracture , getting back into riding and new work commitments, its posing alot more difficult to get back into my former fitness due to lack of frequent riding.

so idea is to use this for evening sessions - so when i do get gaps to ride, its not that much of a fitness struggle and can keep up with the buddies on a ride and be more enjoyable.

previously i could ride 3 times a week - now once a week is my goal to get out ther

9 minutes ago, MajG said:

i dont mind the weather - but tokai in the wet isnt very kind to my drivetrain 😬

Haha. Yes, that R10k cost will escalate very quickly...

2 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Rigid SS solves that problem too.

will solve my getting back to "previous fitness" level problem too i guess 

Need to work my way into that level of grit and determination😵

Just now, Dexter-morgan said:

Single speed and ERG works like a dream, trainer controls everything.

Yeah, I ran my gen1 kikr SS for a while and just did intervals in erg mode. But now I just run up the mountain with the dog if the weather is really bad and get back on the bike when it clears up. 

IDT's can eat a massive bag 🤣

52 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Single speed and ERG works like a dream, trainer controls everything.

It does work well, but I dislike ERG mode... especially on VO2max, AC and NP intervals.
It's a handbrake preventing maximal (but sustainable) efforts.

That's what makes having the option to switch ERG off a "must have" feature.

27 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It does work well, but I dislike ERG mode... especially on VO2max, AC and NP intervals.
It's a handbrake preventing maximal (but sustainable) efforts.

That's what makes having the option to switch ERG off a "must have" feature.

Having had many smart trainers over the years, is the reason why I have gone back to a fluid trainer and power meter, no handbrake and much more natural ride feel when changing gears to adjust to power. I only do intervals during the week and have no interest in just riding a route or racing in a virtual world.  Plus the added bonus of a PM on your bike when out riding, rather than an additional cost on top of a smart trainer.

6 hours ago, MajG said:

I just ride bikes, so need to keep fit

So looking at kikr snap or tacx 👍🏼

Appreciate the hubbers inputs here as this is an unknown territory for me

Have another look at @ACE Cycles comment above.

Dont pay the school fees with the wheel on trainers ....

For the rest ... @Jewbacca is spot on.  A basic setup is okay to stay fit during the short Cape Town winter .... but you can go bos ....

7 hours ago, Pieter-za said:

Rouvy for me - as three persons in one's household can be linked to the same account on its Family Membership plan. 

Same here. My wife and I both use it, so its basically half price and then there's always discount on yearly membership around halloween/black friday. So I see Rouvy as being less than 50% of the others.

We only use ir for intervals or z2 work when the weather doesn't allow and of course my wife can't go riding alone on the road.