Epic, Iron Man, Comrades

adam.greve

He went off course quite close to the end.... If you look at his tracker he went off course for a few km down a hill... One of the organisers pulled up, told him to jump in, drove him back up the hill to his point of entry and he went on to overtake Nicky.

I know a few people who are more than a little peeved by this

If its the same race I'm thinking of, I remember dot-watching it, they finished within eyesight of eachother. I thought though Ms Booysens got lost and thats how she gave up the top spot....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine has completed every single Munga so far... Both cycle and run - 5 in a row.... She should have won the first Munga trail run if not for the organisers giving Benni a lift..  :ph34r:

On top of that she has completed AR world champs, other 100milers etc all in the same year.

Doing lots of events in a year really isn't as difficult as most people make it out to be.

I covered over 1500km of on foot/cycling/paddling in 3 races in 2018.

She is a machine though, comrades is a fun run most years and her mental game will beat us 9/10 times. Also has a dusi under the belt.

Doing lots of events is not impossible, but like the run amuk where they expect 3 100milers in 3 months is too far, you will not get accurate results come that 3rd 100miler your legs may get you to the finish but how fast? Look at western states Hardrock and Leadville, don't think anyone has won more than 1 of them in a year. SO yes they can be completed but competitively is another question.

Surprising no one has mentioned the triathlon from london to Paris, Run from London to the coast, swim the channel and then cycle to Paris Arch to Arch or something.

Not to derail the thread but I reckon you could put together a beast of a year - competing(granted it is MTB heavy), only events in SA and one a month. One will be properly broke and broken I reckon:

Jan - Atta

Feb - Tankwa

Mar - Epic

Apr - IMSA

May - 36One

Jun - Durban 70.3

Jul - Around the Pot

Aug - Transbaviaans x 2

Sep - Pioneer

Oct - Berg & Bush / Dryland Traverse

Nov - Wines2Wales

Dec - Munga

Only an oke from the flat state can dream up that list

I spoke to Joel Stransky last year and he told me that he is planning on doing the Robin Island swim, Cape Epic, IMSA, Comrades and the Freedom Challange for charity this year.

She is a machine though, comrades is a fun run most years and her mental game will beat us 9/10 times. Also has a dusi under the belt.

Doing lots of events is not impossible, but like the run amuk where they expect 3 100milers in 3 months is too far, you will not get accurate results come that 3rd 100miler your legs may get you to the finish but how fast? Look at western states Hardrock and Leadville, don't think anyone has won more than 1 of them in a year. SO yes they can be completed but competitively is another question.

Surprising no one has mentioned the triathlon from london to Paris, Run from London to the coast, swim the channel and then cycle to Paris Arch to Arch or something.

I don't think anyone on bikehub would be planning on winning any of the events mentioned....

Completing them, yes.

3 100 milers in 3 months would be a really rad challenge to undertake. I am seriously considering the 4 in a year.

If you trot home under 30 hours you will top 10 at most of them anyway! 

I spoke to Joel Stransky last year and he told me that he is planning on doing the Robin Island swim, Cape Epic, IMSA, Comrades and the Freedom Challange for charity this year.

Lekker to be rich and unemployed  :ph34r:

I don't think anyone on bikehub would be planning on winning any of the events mentioned....

Completing them, yes.

3 100 milers in 3 months would be a really rad challenge to undertake. I am seriously considering the 4 in a year.

If you trot home under 30 hours you will top 10 at most of them anyway! 

I guess I am twice burnt and slightly shy on them, 1st hundred miler I couldn't get shoes on the next day and legs were heavy for a good 8 weeks afterwards. 2nd hundred miler the first twinge in my knee at 110km and I decided it was just a good training and bailed to save the legs for the last kinetic race. 

I like the idea of Dusi, UTD 100miler and RTR as a kzn grand slam as well

I guess I am twice burnt and slightly shy on them, 1st hundred miler I couldn't get shoes on the next day and legs were heavy for a good 8 weeks afterwards. 2nd hundred miler the first twinge in my knee at 110km and I decided it was just a good training and bailed to save the legs for the last kinetic race. 

I like the idea of Dusi, UTD 100miler and RTR as a kzn grand slam as well

Meh... Not finishing sucks.

Luckily I have not had to bail on one as yet (touch wood).

I'm a solid Donkey so the longer the better!

R2R is a fun one, Dusi is probably a LOT of work to get to if you aren't traditionally a paddler. River rated, qualify etc will mean more than a 12 month lead up....

David Goggins competed in 7 100 milers in 7 consecutive weeks, so it's possible. Scroll down to 2007.

https://calendar.ultrarunning.com/runner/show?first_name=David&last_name=Goggins

Edited by GrahamS2

Only an oke from the flat state can dream up that list

Sounds lekker hey! Dreamt up while grinding away against the wind on flat corrugated roads for miles on end :D

Think it was in 2017, some guy (think he is on the hub) rode from the top of Africa to finish in CT.

Two weeks later did Epic and then IM the month after.

David Goggins competed in 7 100 milers in 7 consecutive weeks, so it's possible. Scroll down to 2007.

https://calendar.ultrarunning.com/runner/show?first_name=David&last_name=Goggins

Not saying it is impossible, but you will enjoy a 100 miler a lot more on fresh legs and actually get to run a lot more of it and be more competitive. Rather than arrive on heavy legs and lumber through with the back of the pack grab your finishers medal and be done.

Pete Kostelnick ran something like 3100 miles across USA in 46 days, that is like 31 x  100milers, back to back so there is no doubt it is possible.

Interesting one is Outside magazines article on his largely Petrol station, restaurant and fast food diet during that run...