Carbon Mtb cranks

Zorro5614

Hi guys

Just want some opinions on carbon cranks. Are they worth the money? Are they just for the bling? Most weight less than alloy cranks, but are they stiffer? Is there better power transfer?

I am riding with a GX Eagle DUB crank. Can't feel any flex. Is carbon cranks like a X01 or RF Next SL just lighter or do they offer other benefits?

Thanks

Road cranks where all the power is being transferred via carbon soles and the rest they make a great difference. On an MTB where there is suspension bob, slipping tyres and a ton more variables then I'm not sure it makes anything worth worrying about. Also if I look at some of the rash I've had on my XT cranks going over and through rock gardens and natural trails I'd hate that to be carbon or much more money. 

I've had both, to be honest I could not tell the differennce at all.

If you're a weight weenie, sure I get it. If you put out mass amounts of power, I also get it. But, for the majority of us, not worth it IMO.

most carbon cranks are heavier than alloy cranks because often the carbon MTB cranks have an aluminium spine onto which the carbon is moulded.

So unless money is burning a hole in your pocket a carbon crankset isn't going to transform your performance.

IF you BMIU is low. power is high and you are chasing the last bit of performance from yourself and the bike I would first consider factors like servicability, toughness etc.

That said, I recently saw a bent XT M8000 crank in an LBS. zRider had hit a rock pretty hard and also injured himself. A carbon crank might have cracked whereas the alloy crank just bent. IF this was a race event the rider may not have finished the event with a carbon crank.

IF it comes on your bike, Great. If not I won't rush out to buy one. i'd rather spend the money on a better Hubs, BB, rear shock and or fork before dropping loads of cash on a carbon crank.

In fact my next crank will probably be alloy; Rotor, Canondale Hollowgram or XTR

Yup, had both and different versions of them (Wife's on a Raceface next - had an X0 on my Turner Czar (Which was required at the time due to the q-factor the frame required - or so I was lead to believe).
I now ride a Funn Ridge an my 5010, other bike has Rapide on it.
Can't tell the difference between any of them.

Road cranks where all the power is being transferred via carbon soles and the rest they make a great difference. On an MTB where there is suspension bob, slipping tyres and a ton more variables then I'm not sure it makes anything worth worrying about. Also if I look at some of the rash I've had on my XT cranks going over and through rock gardens and natural trails I'd hate that to be carbon or much more money. 

If anybody can really feel their cranks flex, I will be impressed.

Firstly, by their strength.

Secondly, by their ability to filter out all the variables mentioned above.

Every new groupset launch (road and mountain), Shimano defends their choice of alu over carbon. They seem to be doing pretty well so far...

Archived