New GPS computer

Natie S

Good evening everyone

I need some advice on new gps computers for my mtb.

So there are 3 options what i like in this order:

1. Giant neostrack. R2600. With hr monitor included

2. Garmin edge 520. Around R3200 just for the unit.

3. Lezyne macro. Around R1500. Just for the unit and mount.

What are you riding with and the pros and cons? I need a unit with a good battery life. Reliable. Quick and easy connection to cell, wifi and Bluetooth. Easy navigation and to download and creat routes.

I have a neostrack.

Great budget unit IMO. There is something I really really dislike about it and that is the lack of Mount options. You only get the out front mount or the stem/bar mount. No aftermarket options.

Also no Strava live. I think the Garmin has this.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I've got a Lezyne Super GPS, which I think is about R2500 nowadays?

Exactly the same size as the Macro, but slightly longer battery life, more memory, and ANT+ support (I didn't feel like buying a whole bunch of new sensors).

https://www.lezyne.com/downloads/Y12_LezyneGPS_ComparisonSheet_R1.pdf

Good:

- I've never needed to use it, but supposedly the Lezynes' routing is quite easy via the phone.

- Doesn't have wifi, I think, but connects easily to the app via bluetooth. You can adjust pretty much anything on the GPS via the app, and it does notifications, Strava Live segments, and live tracking.

- Battery really does last very long, and (on my Super GPS) it stored over a year's worth of rides before the memory was full.

- Two Wheels Trading are quite good with their support, should something go wrong.

Downsides:

- As Duane_Bosch mentioned with the neostrack, the Lezynes' are not compatible with every mount. They have the normal one included, there is a normal out-front, and then a new one that bolts to your stem and can have a gopro or light underneath. There is also an adapter available for the K-Edge mounts now, but I don't know if you can get them here yet.

- Doesn't work with Discovery Vitality

- Discovered this on Saturday - when the memory eventually gets full, it doesn't automatically overwrite the oldest, you have to go into the menus and tell it to delete some older rides. Fun when the race has just started and you try and clear some memory while trying to not lose the bunch...

- Firmware updates via PC or MAC, which is a but clunky

- The stable app (at least on Android) is way out of date. Use the beta, it works fine and gets updated regularly.

I have a 520....it does what it needs to do well....does live segment tracking but only if you are a premium member of strava. Which costs.

If you need HR then of the 3 only one choice. If not then go for Garmin,

I will go for the Garmin. I dont have the 520, but if I see how many people use them, then something must be working right.

Got my wife the lezyne mega xl and she is very happy with it, good pricing and the battery life is great.

Got this one to. Fantastic unit and I can see the display without my glasses.

Where can you get the 520 for R3200?? That's a bargain!

I have a Sigma Rox 11.0. Bought it new for R2500. Comes with mounts and HR strap. Does Strava live segments etc etc. But man, if I knew I could get a 520 for just R700 more I'd take that! Just looks a lot neater.

Just go with Garmin been there done that, goedkoop is duur koop and Garmin will be supported later on when you want to connect with 3rd parties, and you have the unit and don't have to lay out rands again. ill got the 520 

I've also got the Lezyne Super GPS.  I've had it for just over two years and it's not given me any hassle at all.  The battery really does last 24-25 hours (used it in a 24hr race non stop without recharging) and the navigation is great if you're riding trails or roads you've never been on before. Plus all the nice features you want your bike computer to have.

For the price I can't find anything better.

I have a 520 upgraded from a 500 upgraded from a 205. Have only ever received good service and support from garmin. I have never used any of the others you mention but I have not heard bad things about them.

I use a Polar M400 on my commuter .... records the basics, thats about all it does

520 on the MTB ... it just WORKS ????