2019 SA Road National Championships

BMCfan

Willie would of done well on this course, it suites him. He was racing Volta Valenciana for team duty which I guess was more important for him.

Something we would and do have to respect.

Anything to do with his current very vocal opinion on CSA?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question was if you thought he lived up to expectations. My question is not about his form or why he didn’t have form. But rather that people expected more from him last year.

So it’s not an attack on him, it just to create understanding that of course people will be negative about him after last years results, fans are people too.

Under the circumstances he was in yes I do. 

Anything to do with his current very vocal opinion on CSA?

I preferred he rode Volta V cause I got to see him face to face which I dont get to do often. At the end of the day he chose to race for the team in Spain and no SA champs for whatever reason it is. 

would've - from the term: would have

Willie would of done well on this course, it suites him. He was racing Volta Valenciana for team duty which I guess was more important for him. 

Something we would and do have to respect. 

Will you be posting all the pics you've taken somewhere online?

Not all, you dont have enough bandwidth for all! ;)

Busy sending out media reports, then I will upload to the book of face and post a link here. :thumbup:

Not all, you dont have enough bandwidth for all! ;)

Busy sending out media reports, then I will upload to the book of face and post a link here. :thumbup:

Your photos are great. 

Louis struggled with illness, I read somewhere.

His GC form has dropped after his top 10s at Le Toit which are remarkable achievements.

Without good health, little else is possible.

If I look at his TT bronze, as a climber, that is pretty good going considering.

Let’s see.

Louis struggled with illness, I read somewhere.

His GC form has dropped after his top 10s at Le Toit which are remarkable achievements.

Without good health, little else is possible.

If I look at his TT bronze, as a climber, that is pretty good going considering.

Let’s see.

""Louis Meintjes was given a substantial contract to re-join the team from UAE Team Emirates at the end of 2017, but his first season back was an unmitigated disaster. The South African finished inside the top 10 in just one stage race he started, while his two Grand Tour efforts in Italy and Spain resulted in a DNF and 58th overall.

Aldag admits that collective mistakes were made throughout the year and that the team effectively tried to alter an already successful formula with new methods in relation to the rider’s training and race programme. Too much time was spent at altitude camps, racing blocks were too long and too demanding, and by the time Meintjes was meant to hit peak form, he was drained.

"I think his preparation was too ambitious," Aldag admits after a year of hard knocks for the 26-year-old.

"He had a super-positive attitude and knew where he wanted to kick ass. And there was this mentality of doing everything 20 per cent better, and that would result in a podium at a Grand Tour or even two Grand Tours. And because of that, I think it was overdone. He should have started slower and not gone too extreme. And that was not just his own mistake but also the team's.

"He went to altitude training above 3,000m and came back super light. He did Algarve, Tirreno, Catalunya, and went to altitude again, but we didn't really give him the chance to recover. Then he went straight into the Tour of the Alps and then straight into recon for the Giro mountain stages. It was too much, too ambitious."