Stolen: look triathlon 2015 (Cape Town)

montecristo

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep your hair on Montecristo - it isn't immediately clear what the full story is here - the gumtree ad is from January, well before your post but uses the same photograph as you have used in your post. So I think people are just understanding what looks like a fairly complex story. The owner of the bike didn't know that his bike was stolen, for at least 6 weeks? - davidsonmarisia is the owner and got your message on the hub today?

Please explain what does not feel right ?? 

Everything.

You have "information" that seems rather specific.

as long as this "infomation"remains unknown, it is fully justified that people are suspicious

Keep your hair on Montecristo - it isn't immediately clear what the full story is here - the gumtree ad is from January, well before your post but uses the same photograph as you have used in your post. So I think people are just understanding what looks like a fairly complex story. The owner of the bike didn't know that his bike was stolen, for at least 6 weeks? - davidsonmarisia is the owner and got your message on the hub today?

Yes, davidsonmarisia is the owner and he contacted me today.The bike was not stolen six weeks ago but early morning ,valentines day according to my sources. So I think the incident occurred on valentines because I asked one of the other guys close by and he said that the suspect had the bike since the early morning already.

Everything.

as long as this "infomation"remains unknown, it is fully justified that people are suspicious

ok then screw this. I am trying to help this guy find his bike but instead of being complimented for helping I am getting scrutinized. So thanks to  you " juan pelota" I will no longer assist him. Hope you can assist davidsonmarisia find his bike. I am anyway not getting anything for doing this just thought it is the right thing to do but it's obviously is not. 

Everything.

There is always one...

Yes, davidsonmarisia is the owner and he contacted me today.The bike was not stolen six weeks ago but early morning ,valentines day according to my sources. So I think the incident occurred on valentines because I asked one of the other guys close by and he said that the suspect had the bike since the early morning already.

valentines day was 1 day ago relative to your post above. Seems like you had a great one if you got it confused with a day 6 weeks ago ;)

Also - this thread was posted on 13 Feb not Valentine's day.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/180931-stolen-look-596-2015-cape-town/?do=findComment&comment=3460102

IT's not that you're being given a tough time for helping someone - it looks like an interesting story where maybe justice can be done and someone gets their bike back but there is some vagueness and inconsistency that just needs to be clarified. Simple as.

Your defensiveness isn't warranted.

ok then screw this. I am trying to help this guy find his bike but instead of being complimented for helping I am getting scrutinized. So thanks to  you " juan pelota" I will no longer assist him. Hope you can assist davidsonmarisia find his bike. I am anyway not getting anything for doing this just thought it is the right thing to do but it's obviously is not. 

hqdefault.jpg

You're getting scrutinised because the story sounded fishy.

Stolen bikes have a value because there's a market for them.

I'm not going to apologise for asking pertinent questions.

If you're honest to god legit in this deal, then why complain about people who question it? our intentions are both the same: looking out for the owners of the bike!

This still sounds dodgy, I'm sorry but it just seems like something is up. If you can't see that, then I really can't help.

time line, all seems incredibly coincidental that you didn't notice the first one when you posted yours at 2AM in the morning.

stolen bike posted - 15 Feb 01:18am

your post - (this thread) - 15 Feb 02:26am

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

It is really disappointing when a member of this forum is actively trying to discredit a stolen report, and furthermore, a honest person who has taken the time to warn me of the theft itself.

I can only thank Montecristo for letting me know, as I said before, I was out of country and only came home on the 8th for the Argus…

Only today, I found out of these thread from friends and the local bike store…

Hope the forum member  @pista and others who have acted similarly to have the decency to apologize for their behaviour… really shameful

Davidson

I'm not going to apologize for questioning anything that seems remotely fishy.

If you have a straight up story, then it will get checked out - no need to get offended.

Sometimes things just don't add up.

What you're not realising is that the people questioning the OP also hate biketheft.

Hi All,

It is really disappointing when a member of this forum is actively trying to discredit a stolen report, and furthermore, a honest person who has taken the time to warn me of the theft itself.

I can only thank Montecristo for letting me know, as I said before, I was out of country and only came home on the 8th for the Argus…

Only today, I found out of these thread from friends and the local bike store…

Hope the forum member  @pista and others who have acted similarly to have the decency to apologize for their behaviour… really shameful

Davidson

quite odd to only find a thread 6 weeks after you posted in it.

I'm sure it's just an error of forgetfulness, but as you can see - it doesn't add up.

Hi,

thanks for the alert... I am currently out of country, and if it wasn´t for the altert I would not have known...

Police is already notified...and on the way...

Please keep an eye for it... let me know if you see it around...

Thanks,

Davidson

ps. most importantly, did you get the bike back?

I'm not going to apologize for questioning anything that seems remotely fishy.

If you have a straight up story, then it will get checked out - no need to get offended.

Sometimes things just don't add up.

What you're not realising is that the people questioning the OP also hate biketheft.

quite odd to only find a thread 6 weeks after you posted in it.

I'm sure it's just an error of forgetfulness, but as you can see - it doesn't add up.

ps. most importantly, did you get the bike back?

If you have noticed, I do not go to this forum very often, otherwise, I would have attempted to stop this mess along time ago...

No, neither the bike, nor by GS accessories have been recovered... I got a call from the detective this morning and still nothing... I am was at one time offering a reward, and thus the reason, the detective call to withdraw from it... as it will only create further waste of time

I am not concerned with story adding up… most concerned as some of comments on Montecristo, for doing what I honestly hope would be most appreciated action…

Comments I have now read, set a very dangerous precedent, where if anyone learns of a stolen good, will think twice before alerting the community because of people like these.

PLEASE APOLOGIZE TO MONTECRISTO AT LEAST. YOU KNOW IT WAS WRONG…

If you have noticed, I do not go to this forum very often, otherwise, I would have attempted to stop this mess along time ago...

No, neither the bike, nor by GS accessories have been recovered... I got a call from the detective this morning and still nothing... I am was at one time offering a reward, and thus the reason, the detective call to withdraw from it... as it will only create further waste of time

I am not concerned with story adding up… most concerned as some of comments on Montecristo, for doing what I honestly hope would be most appreciated action…

Comments I have now read, set a very dangerous precedent, where if anyone learns of a stolen good, will think twice before alerting the community because of people like these.

PLEASE APOLOGIZE TO MONTECRISTO AT LEAST. YOU KNOW IT WAS WRONG…

You posted your stolen item, then this thread started with a picture from an advert that had expired on gumtree 6 weeks earlier. 

We are just confused if you did not give him the photos how he got the photos of the bike which you posted on gumtree?

This is a reasonable question. 

I have personally helped return 4 stolen bikes to their owners on the Hub. 

Did insurance pay out?

You posted your stolen item, then this thread started with a picture from an advert that had expired on gumtree 6 weeks earlier. 

We are just confused if you did not give him the photos how he got the photos of the bike which you posted on gumtree?

This is a reasonable question. 

I have personally helped return 4 stolen bikes to their owners on the Hub. 

Did insurance pay out?

The bike was not insured itself, we had house contents insured... thus, not the bikes (had 6 bikes hanging on the garage wall at the time, fortunately only this one was stolen... closest to the garage door).

I had an add on gumtree for this bike and another one (KTM Rev) prior to the theft… I posted the stolen bike add (both on gumtree and bikehub)… Montecristo, notified me even before I knew the bike was stolen… which I can only thank him… regardless if the bike is recovered or not… I am really thankful.

Not really upset for the comments about the incident, but the negative comments on Montecristo, who just tried to help… that is absolutely unnecessary and wrong… and sets a really bad precedent…

I no longer hope to recover the bike, nor the other items… already given up on the triathlon idea (second bike that does not fit)… time to stick with duathlon and recreational swimming.

I believe the decent action is to restore confidence on forum members that are indeed looking out for each others on the road, rather than entertaining a few bad comments.

Davidson

Archived