Trek and their revolutionary new material

Spinnekop

So what will it be?
Will us normal people be able to afford it?  

Or is it just another marketing gimmick

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those little gaps in the picture. That's where the helium goes. Negative weight bikes!

Seriously though, really looking forward to geeking out on this one. If it's just marketing hype, it could backfire for Trek. The claims are big!

What happened to Graphene as the super material??

Only know of 1 company using it on frames.

Vittoria uses it in their tyres. But yes, it hasn't lived up to the hype that surrounded it yet for frames, etc.

Edited by Jacquers

What happened to Graphene as the super material??

Only know of 1 company using it on frames.

that's because the graphene they are using isn't real graphene. They use graphene dust or nano particles to alter some properties but basically its expensive filler.

So what will it be?

Depends on what you consider affordable?

Maybe 3D printed bike frames or components.Trek were game changers with the Carbon 5000 series frames years back.

Vittoria uses it in their tyres. But yes, it hasn't lived up to the hype that surrounded it yet for frames, etc.

Saw promises of sub 400gram frames made but it never took off.maybe still on its way.

I do think that we will see more Graphene in the cycling industry in the future, but I also think its still a long way out.

I also believe that the abilities of ‘normal’ carbon fibre has not nearly reached its limits, but is currently hampered by the resin systems used.

Wouldn't mind a frame with that weave in it :drool:  :drool:

Dyneema is used in some lightweight bulletproof vests but they are extremely expensive compared to normal kevlar.They are way lighter though.

My guess is if it's used in frames it won't be cheap at all.

Dyneema is also used in winch ropes instead of steel cable. It's just as strong but is waaaaay lighter and safer to use... but also a lot more expensive.

Could be a new material spec and/or complete 3D printed frames. Which could bring down pricing and weight whilst increasing strength. Strong, Light and Cheap. Could be? 
Could be quite the Guerilla approach.

flexible ceramics? guessing aside, is that green color a clue or a red herring?

Edited by Capricorn