Trek and their revolutionary new material

Spinnekop

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a waste, it could be 123942% better than their last model which has kept my brain fine in crashes before, makes zero difference when a car hits you. 

Dyneema is also used for kite lines and as composite in windsurf boards since a good while. It has properties similar to carbon but without being so brittle. But Dyneema windsurf board were very difficult to repair. The stuff doesn't take the resin on like carbon and you can't sand it well. The laminate cannot sanded well. They get all fuzzy where you work. But probably not important for bike frames that are not repaired that often.

I think there is a limit in how light you can make a frame. You stiff need a certain wall thickness to give the tubes some usable impact resistance. A 500gr frame is of no use if it breaks when you accidentally lean onto the top tube let alone sit on it.

Dyneema is also used for kite lines and as composite in windsurf boards since a good while. It has properties similar to carbon but without being so brittle. But Dyneema windsurf board were very difficult to repair. The stuff doesn't take the resin on like carbon and you can't sand it well. The laminate cannot sanded well. They get all fuzzy where you work. But probably not important for bike frames that are not repaired that often.

I think there is a limit in how light you can make a frame. You stiff need a certain wall thickness to give the tubes some usable impact resistance. A 500gr frame is of no use if it breaks when you accidentally lean onto the top tube let alone sit on it.

I see what you did there

The argument was used before that one should not compromise ons safety when buying protective kit (helmets and shades).

Shurely that implies that you must get a mips or one of these - because it is not worth taking a chance with inferior equipment, no?

I had a leather net- and a Topsport type helmet, which were probably worse than a modern Chinese lookalike helmet btw. At what point should you run to the store and swipe in the face of superior technology?

48x better at protection against concussion - ok you have my curiosity.

against what though? - a top line Suomy, Giro, Kask? if so you have my attention

Edited by Furbz

48x better at protection against concussion - ok you have my curiosity.

against what though? - a top line Suomy, Giro, Kask? if so you have my attention

More than likely the base line is no helmet at all

More than likely the base line is no helmet at all

Hopefully that was a tongue in cheek comment. But it did make me wonder if comparison with any current helmet is a correct one. the reason is that those helmets are not really peers as none of them were ever designed to be prevent concussions. The new material however, has made that an explicit design goal.

What we should be looking for, is what the impact energies are that result in concussions, and evaluate this new material on how much of this impact energy it dissipates.

They touted it as revolutionary, which means a new standard applies. Therefore comparison against anything else that does not share the same design objective, is more akin to gold-digging than a genuinely valuable comparison.

Hopefully that was a tongue in cheek comment. But it did make me wonder if comparison with any current helmet is a correct one. the reason is that those helmets are not really peers as none of them were ever designed to be prevent concussions. The new material however, has made that an explicit design goal.

What we should be looking for, is what the impact energies are that result in concussions, and evaluate this new material on how much of this impact energy it dissipates.

They touted it as revolutionary, which means a new standard applies. Therefore comparison against anything else that does not share the same design objective, is more akin to gold-digging than a genuinely valuable comparison.

Yeah it was tongue in cheek but it seems someone was having a blou Woensdag. Your point is spot on. Wavecell can't be compared with current helmet designs where the design objective was purely to reduce the "g" measurement during an impact of the head and helmet with the ground from a governed drop height. to avoid concussion the energy of the impact also needs to be distributed over a larger area which I guess Wavecell achieves  but not other helmet is designed to do this. If they did the helmets would not have ventilation. kayaking helmets come closest to having a similar design objective

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/bontrager-defends-wavecel-in-response-to-mips-statement/

So MIPS 3rd party testers can not verify Trek's claims. 

Love it, when asked for comment, a marketing responds for Trek, not head of testing etc... 

I dont care about the % safer, just that helmet companies are innovating.  

And herein lies the rub. Any company can set up tests to prove its own design objectives. Hopefully they didn't load the dice in their favour (not uncommon). I agree with the sentiment that there needs to be new standard that stipulates what the design objective is and the necessary testing is defined and conducted

Edited by DieselnDust