1x12 or 1x11

Dezziboy

Just rode Epic with Shimano 1x11 32 oval x 11x46 sunrace cassette .I had no problems .Must admit i missed the original 2x11 setup with a 11x40 cassette at times .I do think the oval chainring gives better traction and range

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 speed xt rear derailleur, nx shifter and sun race 11_46 cassette. No issues at all and plenty of gear range

Shimano derailleur and SRAM shifter? Any reason for that ....

11 speed xt rear derailleur, nx shifter and sun race 11_46 cassette. No issues at all and plenty of gear range

I am going to say impossible, shimano has 1.1 to 1 pull ratio and SRAM 1 to 1

How did you get the indexing correct?

Edited by Quagga

Just rode Epic with Shimano 1x11 32 oval x 11x46 sunrace cassette .I had no problems .Must admit i missed the original 2x11 setup with a 11x40 cassette at times .I do think the oval chainring gives better traction and range

Better traction: Possible, up for debate - I do believe so yes.

Better range: Nope, that's just math. Not even up for debate.

Better traction: Possible, up for debate - I do believe so yes.

Better range: Nope, that's just math. Not even up for debate.

On the hub, ANYTHING is ALWAYS up for debate. Why spoil a good argument with facts ????

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

The time has come for a new cassette and chain and well basically... Grouoset. Currently on the slx 2x10 but now everyone is on 1x12 I see. What would be the better option when it's money saving upgrades.

Sunrace 1x12 11-50 or slx 1x11 11-46?

Any thoughts or pointers?

If you are not 100% whether 1x would suite your riding better, give 1x10 a go at minimal cost.

I went from 2x10 to 1x10 with Sunrace 11-46T casette and 32T chainring, keeping my M6000 Deore derailleur. Happy riding!

I actually put 30T in front to reduce strain on a knee injury, and will go back to 32T when knee is stronger.

So little difference between 10spd & 11spd 11-46T cassettes:

10 speed: 11-13-15-18-21-24-28  -34-   40-46

11 speed: 11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-40-46

According to Sunrace compatibility chart, M7000 SLX rear derailleur is compatible with 11-46T cassette;

- GS model as is

- SGS model will require derailleur extender

Shopping list:

- Sunrace 10sp cassette 11-46T @ (R799 @ CWC, plus postage)

- Possibly get a derailleur extender (R200 @ Rapide),

- Chain R400?

- Chainring (if you need a RD extender, check out Rapide's chainring options, and save on courier costs- which is already minimal)

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/180971-1x10spd-with-46t-cassette/

Did you put on 32 just for Epic or do you normally ride the 32?

• 10 months later...

Just thought I'd post this here for interest sake.

I have a Cannondale Rush with XTR 11sp with a Sunrace 11-50 cassette and Rapide 32OVL blade that works pretty well besides sometimes thinking that the gear spacing makes me hunt between gears here and there ... 1 up is to hard and 1 down is to easy if you know what I mean ... Gotten used to it and ride it plenty.

I also have a Cannondale Flash with XT 11sp with an XT 11-42 cassette and a Rapide 32RND blade ... Read here and elsewhere that the Sunrace 12sp shifters work just fine with an 11sp XT RD so decided to give it a go.

@Kiwi kindly borrowed me a Sunrace MZ 12sp shifter, Grumpy from CycleHub a Sunrace 12sp 11-50 cassette and got a chain from my son at Just Cycles.

Installation and setup pretty simple, swopped shifter (used the same outers), cassette and chain. Adjusted the B screw, indexing and good to go ... On the workstand and round the block that is!

First ride was just an outride and it shifted 'ok' but I wanted to test it proper so next a ride at Thaba .... Wasn't very happy with the shifting, one or two shifts needed some help and I don't like that. I've previously stated my experience with these Heath Robinson type solutions

Decided to have a closer look at the chain length and B-screw adjustment ... Turns out the chain was a little long so took out 1 link and re-adjusted everything. Now to my surprise it does actually shift properly everytime up and down, feels pretty 'crisp' and I like that the Sunrace shifter has that similar to Shimano 'push/pull' release!

Will do a few different rides over the next week or 2 though and give an update after that.

For now I'm happy and to be able to upgrade from 11sp Shimano to 12sp albeit a mix of components for a mere R3750 (shifter, cassette and chain) from Rapide I reckon is not to shabby! If you have to replace cassette and chain anyway I'd say look into this might well be worth your while.

3e3e6ea70480c2a4b7cb7279764ab019.jpg11da276e9bf4aeaebcc817c6f52ed7cc.jpg

Whatever is cheaper. XT 1x11 or NX 1x11

1x12 is a nice gimmick.  I am not a strong rider and 34T x 11-46 is more than enough for anything I have ever ridden

Then you are stronger than you think, or you stay away from the steep stuff :D

I was happy with my 30x42, now I've just decided I'm man enough to put the 32T on, let's see how it goes ! 34T/11-42 still seems a bit rough for the average rider, and I do ride/train about 5 to 7h a week (incl. 2500m of ascent at least)

I would advise the person who's asking to make sure the ratio on the easier gear would be similar when changing to 1x.

Edited by Jbr

Then you are stronger than you think, or you stay away from the steep stuff :D

I was happy with my 30x46, now I've just decided I'm man enough to put the 32T on, let's see how it goes ! 34T/11-46 still seems a bit rough for the average rider, and I do ride/train about 5 to 7h a week (incl. 2500m of ascent at least)

I would advise the person who's asking to make sure the ratio on the easier gear would be similar when changing to 1x.

Damn so sorry for the original poster, I have a 42 cassette not 46, I was clearly drunk when I posted earlier :'(

I have corrected my earlier post

Edited by Jbr

Did you put on 32 just for Epic or do you normally ride the 32?

I had a regular round 34 on before .32 oval climbs better and i still have a 34 top end .My other bike has 1 x 12 eagle with 32 oval chaining .I ride them both on a weekly basis .On the 12 speed cassette i mis the 46 at the back .Twelve speed cassette has 42 ,50 sprockets

Edited by arendoog

I am going to say impossible, shimano has 1.1 to 1 pull ratio and SRAM 1 to 1

How did you get the indexing correct?

Wife's bike has SRAM 11 speed shifter and SLX 11 speed derailleur. I think the SRAM pull ratio is close to 1.1. It works well.

Wife's bike has SRAM 11 speed shifter and SLX 11 speed derailleur. I think the SRAM pull ratio is close to 1.1. It works well.

Are you using one of those Wolftooth jobies to get indexing right? I've never heard of anyone getting a Sram shifter to work with a Shimano deraillieur.

I had a regular round 34 on before .32 oval climbs better and i still have a 34 top end .My other bike has 1 x 12 eagle with 32 oval chaining .I ride them both on a weekly basis .On the 12 speed cassette i mis the 46 at the back .Twelve speed cassette has 42 ,50 sprockets

A 32 round or oval gives you exactly the same speed. An oval just feels easier in some parts of your pedal stroke, and harder in others - that is why some people find it easier to keep the cranks turning on climbs and experience better traction. But it does not change the ratio or speed you get.

Eg: a 32 chainring (oval or round) with a 10t cog on the cassette, gives you a ratio of 3.2. That means for every one turn of your crank, your rear wheel rotates 3.2 times. A 32t oval cannot give you more top end than a round ring.

On the other end of the cassette on the 46t cog, it gives you a ratio of 0.695 - ie your wheel rotates 0.695 times for every one rotation of the crank. But, on the upstroke it feels like a 30t, and on the downstroke it feels like a 34t, making it easier to keep the cranks turning - it does not change speed at a given cadence.

Are you using one of those Wolftooth jobies to get indexing right? I've never heard of anyone getting a Sram shifter to work with a Shimano deraillieur.

No, I think SRAM 11 speed is 1.12 pull ratio and Shimano 11 speed is 1.1, so this is close enough.