[Event] 2019 SRAM WC XCO SERIES, RACE #3 ZEVENWACHT

milky4130

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We not going to be hitting that, I can assure you. It is a lot bigger in person.

???? if this is the way they are going to continue by dumbing down the courses every time it gets too technical or the jumps too big then I’m not sure why I’m still Racing this format. We allowed it once at Bloemendal Xco Now it’s becoming a norm. Edited by milky4130

We not going to be hitting that, I can assure you. It is a lot bigger in person.

I can only assume then the launch will be taped off & we need to roll that landing ????????‍♂️????

Isnt some of this course i.e the jumps part of the DH line there. Never ridden it but if it is aimed at the DH and enduro bro's perhaps not what an XCO course should contain? Then again, if you have the opportunity to practice the track and there is a B Line then why not. 

Went through for pre race registration, which as to be expected by the good fellas of WP MTB commission, all flawless and very efficient.....all done in less than 30 seconds.....with a voucher to go and select any bottle of wine from a long list, at the Zewenwacht Wine Tasting Room (what a nice touch that was !!)

Course :  Take the conditions under foot, or rather under rubber / tire, from Rhebokskloof, and times it by 3 or 4, and you know what you are going to be riding on for pretty much 99 percent of the route tomorrow - trillions of billions of those minute sandy marbles, making the most basic turns, going slow or fast, a challenge.   The start is on an incline as well, which will be tricky to get away on and then it is one lekker long ass drag race to the top, highest point on route.......

You then dive down some lekker singletrack, but fear not, there are no nasty surprises in terms of any big jumps....here and there a small double, but not the jumps discussed / showed here earlier.  And yes, Donny is correct, those jumps are huge, as it is basically the main downhill line, which you follow for most, BUT thank goodness, passing all the jumps either to the left, or right, not doing them, as it will be the smallest of few that will have the required skill and courage to do them.

Climbing from the course map / profile on the website looked nothing to worry about as they lack the shark teeth we are used to seeing, BUT, be aware, I think this one (or I know this one) is gonna hurt - they are indeed steep in some sections and especially that first one is long.....going at pace, we are gonna burn matches, that is for sure.

Only actual "technical feature" is a very lekke rock-garden, which is not that difficult to do at all, but one thing is for sure, if you do manage to go OTB one you committed, you are gonna slam very hard into some nasty snipers, waiting to take one of your ribs.....good news is, the racing snakes showed us that doing A line (rock garden) or the B line around it, is gonna cost you maybe 4 - 5 seconds, if you keep your speed nicely through the B line, so discretion is the better part of valor in my opinion - with so little to gain there, and def a fair amount of risk, the B line has my name written all over it for tomorrow.

I believe we have 200 entries and counting, so look forward to seeing the young kiddos from nippers and sprogs, right up to myself and the other old toppies, give it a good go tomorrow, and enjoy the privilege we have to take part in such a well organised series, all with huge investment and sacrifice by a handful of volunteers and parents.

See you okes tomorrow !!

Well that was tough

Well Done Everyone for lining up!

Well done To all the volunteers aka Parents & their helpers yes even the kids were roped in.

Agree fully with all three points above......and just to emphasize, for me at least, that elevation gain per lap, was hectic.....and coupled with the lack of recovery time / sections, it made for a challenging lap, and one tough race.

Let's all spread the word, and do our best to grow the numbers, so much potential in this discipline, yet so many wrong perceptions - will only change when we get our mates to the start line and let them experience this exhilarating format for themselves. 

In closing, Enduro Kingpin, Rupert von Tsutsek (hope I got that right), gave it a go today and I spent some time with him post-race.....He was blown away by the professional "show" put on by the WP MTB Commission's volunteers & parents, and furthermore, felt the track was superb, with plenty of fun to be had, if you knew where to find em. Coming from The Godfather of Enduro currently in WC, this was pleasing remarks, to say the least.

One more to go, before the madness comes to an end for 2019.....sadly of course

Disappointed to have missed the 3rd round.

Well done all!!!

???? you have good form, should’ve come race.

???? you have good form, should’ve come race.

It was the plan but 16h flight on Friday was worse than expected.

Well done again bud ????????