Front Derailleur repair (weld?)

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for something so thin already (width and depth), I wouldn't compromise it further by drilling holes in the cage arms. Steel epoxy should work perfectly fine - most varieties. If you do go the route of drilling 2 holes and riveting a bracket in place, I'd advise you to still steel epoxy over the rivets and bracket, to reduce risk of sheering from vibrations or bumps.

Welding on something like that is a very poor idea. A good silver solder job will be nearly completely invisible and extremely strong. It's also very easy and quick to do if you have the basic tools and know how. If you don't, find a manufacturing jeweller and beg him nicely to please silver solder it for you.

As modderlewerik says  get it brazed or silver soldered. Any other way will compromise it's strength.

Edited by porqui

You might be able to braze but not as strong as silver solder and will be heck ugly. Silver solder can be done almost invisibly. The best option. I have fixed many similar things over the years with silver solder. It's really not very hard to do.

Welding on something like that is a very poor idea. A good silver solder job will be nearly completely invisible and extremely strong. It's also very easy and quick to do if you have the basic tools and know how. If you don't, find a manufacturing jeweller and beg him nicely to please silver solder it for you.

So after reviewing all the options I have decided on this as I do know a manufacturing jeweler pretty well [emoji41]

Thanks for all the responses everyone

A good dental technician who does metal frame dentures will be able to do it as well.

You might be able to braze but not as strong as silver solder and will be heck ugly. Silver solder can be done almost invisibly. The best option. I have fixed many similar things over the years with silver solder. It's really not very hard to do.

This is good advice