Front Derailleur repair (weld?)

NotSoBigBen

Achtung bueschen und maedel!

So normally as FD's are a relatively cheap replacement part I'd go that route but unfortunately this one is Di2 ... i.e NOT cheap

The cage is broken at the spot that I have circled (damn macro pictures make one's bike look shabby [emoji32])

It still works perfectly but I need to be extra careful when shifting and it has bent outwards once or twice with almost disastrous consequences! To prevent stuffing it up completely I wondered how best to get it repaired?

I have used a bit of Pratley steel but it doesn't work ... Other options?d521e424d170cea783ff71ac507fc739.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welding shouldn't be a problem it's chrome plated steel or low grade stainless. But would it not by possible to change just the cage with a normal 1? Just asking I don't know. I know the di2 mechanism is different obviously but are there differences in the cage as well?

Clean it thoroughly with sand paper.
Then use epoxy to almost weld it together. Just a suggestion. 

Clean it thoroughly with sand paper.

Then use epoxy to almost weld it together. Just a suggestion. 

Don't think that will hold. +1 on the rivet idea.

Maybe drill a hole right through both sides of the cage, find a thin threaded bar and cut just a little longer than needed and place a lock nut on each side. Don't tighten too much as to bend the cage inwards.

Maybe drill a hole right through both sides of the cage, find a thin threaded bar and cut just a little longer than needed and place a lock nut on each side. Don't tighten too much as to bend the cage inwards.

If you have the space then this would be a good idea but I would replace the threaded bar with a Button Head Socket Screw and a Nyloc Nut.

Edit: Stainless Steel

post-3624-0-94121600-1556608032.jpg

Edited by Plentipotential

I have repaired many Campy FD's where the plastic piece has broken. I know this is steel but can be repaired the same way

1 or 2 mm drill and drill holes on each side of the break

I have a carbon fibre repair kit - pull threads from the carbon matt and thread through the hole kind of sew it together

Mix some resin and paint it on

Wrap the entire area where you placed the resing tight with electrical tape and leave over night to cure

Once cured, file or sand the repaired area to make to look neat and tidy.

Sorted

All these ideas sounds like a lot of work ???? I would just have it welded. If you where in Cape Town you could have dropped by and I would have done it. Tic weld would be best as it is fine welding or mig and just sand/grind it a little afterwards.

am i missing something?...looks like an ultegra in the piksha, or is that just an example?

Ultegra Di2 i think.. 

am i missing something?...looks like an ultegra in the piksha, or is that just an example?

As Nerd says Ultegra Di2

I would drill a hole in the cage and rivet it in place with another piece of metal similar to what quagga mentioned already

Bend the plate in a U-shape to clip over the break and then glue it in place with epoxy or rivet if you have space. Otherwise try to get another compatible broken deraileur where the cage is still good and dremel grind/drill the rivets out and bolt/rivet together, grind down the inside bolts. i`ve done this before and it works great but you have to check clearances inside the deraileur.