[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

Baie grond was gekoop! Heard of some people who got hurt bad. Wow this was a tough event. Serious test of fitness

Yeeeah, we saw several stacks in the section of Phoenix I was watching from. Hope my air horn wasn't too loud for you. ????

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let me know when you are sure. Then we can discuss it.

Can't comment any more here. I could up to the start of the event (as I'd entered) but seeing as I DNS the rules show not a word can now be uttered. 

Awesome event as usual. Thanks marhals, organisers, and everyone else that made it happen!

I had a very good race. My fitness was lacking (as usual) so I just had to take it easy on the climbs. But my stages went well, felt like I kept it smooth and finished with a respectable time (we will see where I place). But finished within 30seconds of a buddy of mine that usually puts 45seconds to 75seconds into me per stage - so I am happy with myself :)

Plumber was extremely washed out (feels like it washed out a hell of alot in the last week). Very loose on top, and dusty but manageable on the second bit - but considering I did not even attempt Plumber last year I am quite chuffed that I felt I could "race" it today. The only place it could have gone better was Armageddon and Iron Monkey where I was just very tired, but no one to blame but myself for that.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Hearing of Lots of complaints about how dangerous the Plumber was.

It is a black trail, people should have prepared for it, or skipped it if they weren't up for it. If organisers keep leaving out harder stages enduro as a discipline will never progress in SA.

IMO everyone knew what they were signing up for.

It is a black trail, people should have prepared for it, or skipped it if they weren't up for it. If organisers keep leaving out harder stages enduro as a discipline will never progress in SA.

IMO everyone knew what they were signing up for.

Easy to say when the guys live there and can ride it more then the other provinces but then that’s the same for everywhere else.But you are right guys need to progress. Edited by Bizkit031

Easy to say when the guys live there and can ride it more then the other provinces.But you are right guys need to progress.

Same as guys near karkloof, Cascades etc. Locals always get preference, but it didn't stop Sharjah from getting top 5 overall. They're proper black trails, are plumber and iron monkey.

Same as guys near karkloof, Cascades etc. Locals always get preference, but it didn't stop Sharjah from getting top 5 overall. They're proper black trails, are plumber and iron monkey.

Yup true that.

Wow, that was tough. But epic! Busy bathing the kids. Will post some pics and share stories later. All I can say is, Nils is an animal.did he end up getting top 10? He was sitting 8th when I left. Ahead of some very skilled riders...dont know how he did that.

Wow, that was tough. But epic! Busy bathing the kids. Will post some pics and share stories later. All I can say is, Nils is an animal.did he end up getting top 10? He was sitting 8th when I left. Ahead of some very skilled riders...dont know how he did that.

It wouldn't surprise me! Oli was also darn quick on his hardtail.

Hearing of Lots of complaints about how dangerous the Plumber was.

There was the option to miss it and the route was out there for all to see as well as the videos etc. Bar Tokai it's got to be one of the best known trail networks in the cape. I think the issue is more with the variety of trails a 'black' can be. Hoogies vs Plumber? Both black but not in touching distance of each other. That needs to be sorted out. 

Overall it was a great event. Loads of people and a true beast of a day on the bike. Near the end I felt like a bit of a passenger as I was getting pretty tired but stoked to have made the whole thing. Great turnout and gees but boy I'm going to be sore tomorrow. 

I do like the trails up in Jonkers because there is proper tech that can't be steam rollered and plowed. You have to adjust your riding and go hard when it allows you and slower when you need to. The people I saw coming to grief were coming in too hot and hoping their trail would save them, or conversely, not keeping momentum and doing the slow, stop, crash. 

Alot of stories to be told from today, blood was spilt, hospitals were visited, bodies were broken, epic stages were klapped, some times were off the charts and the first 2 cold beers went down singing hymns. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker