[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

What a day, The END and the DURO part.....all this talk about the Plumber had me intimidated but actually its a great walk spoiled by a lot of loose rocks where you can twist your ankle quite easily!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

4 x climbs were tough.

Had a blast, was fully (not) prepared but it was cool to see everyone out there, some of the younger generation are tearing!

I also saw a big swing in fashion on the hill too, seems brown is the new black!!!!

One thing...it's not a good idea to high five the trailside enduro groupies at the bottom of Stage 4, nnnnneeeeaaarly saw my @$#@$@#.

Well done to Dan and Harry and his gang! Great show!

Yeah that move was interesting

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was skitz rad.... Clean run through Plumber and I was the last to go down after closing the route. It was super washed out, dusty, slippery and RAD!

I proceeded to blow my tire off the rim coming down Iron Monkey and bought a plot of land I could farm on. Plugged the hole, reseated the tire, Bombed it again for some firmness and kept going to the bottom for a 14 minute stage. 

So awesome to see the kids riding so fast and the passion was abundant from sprog to ballie.

Stoked to have been a part of today.

One of my highlights was seeing Beani blow up the second last corner of Phoenix. She came flying in, leaned so low that you couldn't see her from the road, you could hear the tyres drifting and then gripping and then a dust explosion went vertical as she flew out.

The crowd was silent and then went nuts.

Droo also had a very smooth and fast last bit on Phoenix. He sent that little Rock drop with so much spice that chillies spontaneously started sprouting around it.

The humility of Matt Lombardi is a breath of fresh air. The marshal at the end of ss3 told us how he struggled to tag Matt out, and when he apologized Matt told him not to worry about it.

The primadonna antics of some of the other real fast racers out there is a stark contrast to Matt. Actually the fast elites were all gracious, it was the vets and sub vets that seemed to want special privileges.

All in all it was a long day out. We (timing Marshall's left at 06:30 and finished at 15:00.

I had a moment that made it worth it for me. A young man was sitting at the end of Phoenix, poked but happy, and told his mates that he would not want to be anywhere else in the world than there with them, riding their bikes. Moments like that makes it worth it to serve someone else to enable them to feel that.

I had a safe, clean run down, slightly of my usual speed, but my strategy was to back it off a bit, not scare myself and to get clean runs. It worked, but I reckon I should have gone faster, but hindsight is always tinted, and spending 5hrs on your feet between riding means you are rather tired when you get to ss3 and Ss4.

Edited by PhilipV

I reckon next year they should pop the firehut in too. Just for sh1ts & giggles.

It was an amazing day out. My lady has called me obsessed at least 3 times in the last month so now that it's over I can obsess about something else for a bit. 

HUGE MASSIVE GIGANTIC thanks to the peeps who put so much effort in.

The humility of Matt Lombardi is a breath of fresh air. The marshal at the end of ss3 told us how he struggled to tag Matt out, and when he apologized Matt told him not to worry about it.

Matt is a class act

He was in Morz with us last year and he slowed himself down to ride with us ballies. Every now and then he'd latch on to a crew of DH boys and it was always a laugh to see them looking at his bike and wondering how the hell a dude on a stumpy could run with them on their DH rigs.

I had such a rad time right up to the point I ran out of skill on Armageddon.

What a great day of riding with mates!

Tonight I will sleep well... on my right side only.

How are you feeling today? 

So bummed that your day ended prematurely. You were on fire and having lots of fun. 

Next year!?

That is flipping awesome that the young ladies are riding hard and fast, a good sign for the future!

Hairy you ride like a girl?!

Edited by Meezo

How are you feeling today? 

So bummed that your day ended prematurely. You were on fire and having lots of fun. 

Next year!?

Kind of like I was hit by a smallish car. The super smelly stuff the medics coated me with did wonders for sleeping and wearing clothes - I'm getting some of that. Nothing sticks to my wounds - like magic.

But yes, today I won't be riding a bike.

Stoke levels - still pretty darn high.

You?

What is entirely refreshing is that 18 months ago, Enduro races were getting 40-50 entrants and it was dying. Meurant packed up his series, The other events were cancelled due to lack of entries.... Suddenly 300 odd guys throwing themselves down the mountain.

My only timing issue was a little kid.... He had his watch oriented incorrectly, didn't stop for me then when I tagged him he took his hand off the bar.

"You just cost me like 3-4 seconds. WTF man... that's so annoying and it's all your fault....' (add expletives)

I tried to explain to him that his watch was on incorrectly and to avoid more disappointment and lost time he should change it... He instead kept shaking his head and being insulting.... 

I feel bad but I did use a rude word when I told him to 'move off'.... 

Seeing the stoke and the amperage out there was really worth such a long day for me. 

Awesome to see you all out there!