[Event] EWC 3 Jonkershoek Enduro

Enduro Western Cape

What is entirely refreshing is that 18 months ago, Enduro races were getting 40-50 entrants and it was dying. Meurant packed up his series, The other events were cancelled due to lack of entries.... Suddenly 300 odd guys throwing themselves down the mountain.

My only timing issue was a little kid.... He had his watch oriented incorrectly, didn't stop for me then when I tagged him he took his hand off the bar.

"You just cost me like 3-4 seconds. WTF man... that's so annoying and it's all your fault....' (add expletives)

I tried to explain to him that his watch was on incorrectly and to avoid more disappointment and lost time he should change it... He instead kept shaking his head and being insulting.... 

I feel bad but I did use a rude word when I told him to 'move off'.... 

Seeing the stoke and the amperage out there was really worth such a long day for me. 

Awesome to see you all out there! 

Were you at the bottom of Phoenix? If so, I think I heard the little tyke complaining that you "ruined his enduro"  :w00t:

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My only timing issue was a little kid.... He had his watch oriented incorrectly, didn't stop for me then when I tagged him he took his hand off the bar.

"You just cost me like 3-4 seconds. WTF man... that's so annoying and it's all your fault....' (add expletives)

I tried to explain to him that his watch was on incorrectly and to avoid more disappointment and lost time he should change it... He instead kept shaking his head and being insulting.... 

I feel bad but I did use a rude word when I told him to 'move off'.... 

The little guys (some, not all of them for sure) also seem to be the ones that just push past everyone on the side of the quees and jump in at the front. It was also the only unpleasant bit of the day for me - but then again, I guess most of us were little sh!ts at that age too - I know I was.

Were you at the bottom of Phoenix? If so, I think I heard the little tyke complaining that you "ruined his enduro"  :w00t:

That was me!! hahaha

You cost me about 10 minutes when we chatted YT at the end of Phoenix. That meant my legs got cold and I lost a bunch of time. If it wasn't for that I would have been ahead of the crowds and been top 100 for sure.

Ah man! I ruined SO many people's days! 

I was so glad to have tagged all the top guys as soon as they dropped. It's so easy when the watch is on properly and the rider keeps his hand on the bar.

Stoke is still super high. My wife is happy you guys all made me happy. Thanks

This tag in-tag out timing set-up seems a bit backwards, no? From the handful of enduro's I've done here in Euroland, timing is done using the same fork timing 'chips' that you commonly see in the marathon races in SA. So, you typically have a countdown and get a short run-up to get up to speed and then cross the timing mat. Same at the end of the stage. No need to slow down or worry about not getting tagged out. 

Is there a specific reason why this system is used? 

That was me!! hahaha

Ah man! I ruined SO many people's days! 

I was so glad to have tagged all the top guys as soon as they dropped. It's so easy when the watch is on properly and the rider keeps his hand on the bar.

Stoke is still super high. My wife is happy you guys all made me happy. Thanks

You were even happier after the burger

This tag in-tag out timing set-up seems a bit backwards, no? From the handful of enduro's I've done here in Euroland, timing is done using the same fork timing 'chips' that you commonly see in the marathon races in SA. So, you typically have a countdown and get a short run-up to get up to speed and then cross the timing mat. Same at the end of the stage. No need to slow down or worry about not getting tagged out. 

Cost mostly.

Developing that sort of equipment or hiring it costs huge amounts of money. Hiring you are often at the mercy of the hire company re time, setup etc.

Setting up is also not as accessible here in a lot of places. 

The timing pods and watches were developed and are owned by iRide/EWC, they are super light and we transported them in our packs with zero hindrance.

The rules also state you are supposed to have 1 foot on the ground at a standing start, which nullifies the roll in, so I suppose we can start arguing over split seconds and watch the sport die here, or we can be happy that the EWC team and iRide have poured so much into such a rad way to ride our bikes.

It's cost the EWS ones are alot to buy and with the great exchange rate it's a massive investment. There isn't much to recoup from that outlay as well unless you make people buy a chip and then they own that. Sure you can rent the kit back into the event as as part of the business plan (and also rent it out to other events, which there aren't that many of) to cover the initial outlay. I'd guess the guys had to find a decent balance between cost and reliability because everyone moans if the system isn't working well but no one really wants to put their hand on their pockets in the form of larger entry fees / additional costs  to help fund the top notch German ones. 

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Cost mostly.

Developing that sort of equipment or hiring it costs huge amounts of money. Hiring you are often at the mercy of the hire company re time, setup etc.

Setting up is also not as accessible here in a lot of places. 

The timing pods and watches were developed and are owned by iRide/EWC, they are super light and we transported them in our packs with zero hindrance.

The rules also state you are supposed to have 1 foot on the ground at a standing start, which nullifies the roll in, so I suppose we can start arguing over split seconds and watch the sport die here, or we can be happy that the EWC team and iRide have poured so much into such a rad way to ride our bikes.

That makes sense.  :thumbup:

I felt pretty broken when I got in bed last night, but happy at the same time.

I Really had a great day out there. Had some moments of what coulda-shoulda like: on plummer 2 I just couldn't turn on those rocks while trying to float over them, went off line and had to run to a suitable place to get back on & clip in in the middle of Gnarville and I completely hit the wall right at the top of Armageddon and bled time all the way down. But I had a Great Iron Monkey and felt like I finally clicked with my bike, on the last stage which left me smiling.

I'm totally encouraged to get the last bit of kit sorted (Razor Rock on the back in those Powder bowl turns were a stuff up) and train much more next year to give it another go and hopefully make the top 50. 

Rode with Francoin saw PhilipV die Muishond and Nils on the trails. Spent some time in the hurt-box with a really chilled guy called Sam (Bull) pushing up to #3 and loved the vibe and general camaraderie among riders.  

No, I was fit enough for it but up until Tuesday I've been sick. Like, properly sick. Antibiotics for the first week, as well as all the medlemon, Vicks, flomist, zinc and **** I could throw at it.

So make it happen and prove everyone wrong.

You know the route. Start at 7 and be done by 2. That's LOADS of time to make it round. Wait till you are well and do it. If it didn't happen on strava tho.....

If anything it will be a fun day out.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

You know the route. Start at 7 and be done by 2. That's LOADS of time to make it round. Wait till you are well and do it. If it didn't happen on strava tho.....

Will take this challenge up come December holidays!

giphy.gif