Freedom Challenge Commentary

tubed

What are the stats looking like for MD vs his last record breaking attempt..... Still on track to break it possibly?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2015? He had us in stitches climbing to Vuvu. "This nav stuff! I can ride fast but now I have to look down all the time ….. " 

Yep I had recced mordor and JT was told this by the race office and encouraged to catch me instead of takling it alone. He had already caught me days earlier but made such a mess off Struishoek that he was again a half day behind.

I laughed my ass of about halfway through Mordor I had packed my maps a tthe first campsite and rode on memory and feeling. About halway through I can't really spot the track quickly so JT asks and gets his map out and asks where are we? I said no clue. How many river crossings have we done, again I say no clue you are the co-pilot. And the map he says? We don't need Maps Marnitz said no maps just have a recce and think like a Kudu. We found some Kudu tracks and bent reed and found the track quickly after that.

Think JT started to grew some grey hair that day. He did wrote me anice thank you note left on my mapboard as he figured I could'nt get bothered to get up early (no gate times back then). Nice chap wa had a lovely ride to Prince Albert in the next two days with lots of laughter before I had to see some medical attention in P-A before continuing my lesurly ride with the old toppies to Wellington.

After he asked me at Bucklands to let him tag along he called his wife. Don't worry I just asked some kid called the Crazy German and he's gonna take me along if I can keep up with him. Not sure if that really inspired confidence to his wife. 

Good memories those days on the trail and the time I spend out there with Johann Komander Rissik who sadly left us earlier this year. (Johan did get a drawn Mordor map with lots of tips in ice cream box and I made one the next year for JT aswell. They apparently laughed their ass off with my notes, left at the fallen three, right at the dead Kudu...

Edited by The Crazy German

A couple of years back we went through Mordor backwards on an expedition Race and then up the Osseberg. 

That is a special place... I still have 'dreams' involving those Jumping Jack cactus things that manage to get anywhere and everywhere!

A couple of years back we went through Mordor backwards on an expedition Race and then up the Osseberg. 

That is a special place... I still have 'dreams' involving those Jumping Jack cactus things that manage to get anywhere and everywhere!

I still flinch at the thought of those little flying devils. The first time it happened the reaction was to pull it off my leg, which turned into having to remove it from hand while teammates rolled on the floor laughing.

We crossed the last river about 6:30am that morning, it was a tough night in Mordor, don't think there is such a thing as an easy night, or day there...

Hope Alex's tracker got in the car and not him.

Would be nice to see if the three of them could create something of a chase of Martin. Certainly seems like a better day to be crossing to Prince Albert today.

Ok: withdrawal confirmed by race office, sad to see him go.

Edited by tubed

I still flinch at the thought of those little flying devils. The first time it happened the reaction was to pull it off my leg, which turned into having to remove it from hand while teammates rolled on the floor laughing.

We crossed the last river about 6:30am that morning, it was a tough night in Mordor, don't think there is such a thing as an easy night, or day there...

I remember... we caught the 2 of you at the camp site and we all climbed the Osseberg together!

My first time through there 'the right way' I remember doing the same thing. The angles those prickles go in defies science!

What are the stats looking like for MD vs his last record breaking attempt..... Still on track to break it possibly?

As he left PA he was 3h22 behind record pace and 10h behind on sub 10days. So its going to be a big ask for sub 10days.  But its Martin and you never know.... 

The wind has not been kind 

Martin has been stationary at the top of Seweweekspoort since lunchtime yesterday.

Any news ?

Martin became ill where his tracker stopped and was taken care of by a farmer . He apparently had a lingering lung infection .

It sounds like he got food poisoning, curled up at the side of the road, passed out when he tried to get up and make his bike visible to other riders and hit his head on something, and had some unexpected 'sleep' time... A good night's kip, some farmers-wife TLC and he is on the move again now. With a healthy lead and the easiest part of the FC to do (his words), but now with a goal just to finish. I think he has forgotten he still has about a month's lead over second place...  Toughest human I know. 

since 

For me (besides Martin;s race), the ride of RASA2019 is proving to be RG du Toit, he's off alone very late into the Osseberg, he's done it a few months ago in RTW2019, but he's going in there tonight with no moon to speak of and no tracks at all. 

This could get interesting or be a very masterful ride - either way its worth keeping an eye on tonight.

And it looks like he was travelling with MD through the night and they are arriving at the dam together.

I am sure that Mart has gone back over the last night he spent in the Hawequas mountains and has recce'ed the perfect route. It must be lekker to ride it together

Edited by eddy

Probably the rock that was bleeding.

Martin Dreyer is the only person Chuck Norris is scared of round house kicking....