World Cup cricket

IceCreamMan

Mediocrity is the norm in SA. We should not expect anything different from our sports teams.

If you're going to stay in SA (as opposed to emigrating), get used to it and move on with your life. Nothing will change in our lifetime.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think he had a choice, it was the only bowler left who has not yet completed his allocation of overs i.e. badly managed.  It came down to poor captaincy, lack of leadership, choking in the field and poor decision making.

Faf's post game interview supports this to a large degree.  If you listen/read it it seems he was at a different game.

All, and all, really a poor show and not reflective of what we as a country should be putting on the world stage.

#cryalittle 

Agree - poor captaincy cost us this match.  If Rabada and / or Morris had bowled the last over (or even Tahir), we would have been in with a chance to defend 8 runs.  

When there was about 10 overs left, I started to wonder why they weren't 'using up' more of Pehlukwayo's overs earlier - you didn't want to leave him to bowl 1/2 of the last 3/4 overs, given his form on the night?  

The captain placed him in the worst possible position.  I am normally a big fan of Faf, but he messed up big time last night.  

I do wonder if there is an Indian bookie somewhere smiling broadly 'cause he made a stash betting on Pehlukwayo bowling the last over...

Had they reduced it to 20 overs and we scored the same amount of runs, we would have been in a better position to defend. They should just come home now to avoid embarrassing themselves even more.

Fully agree, poor captaincy and bowler pairings which never worked and not even changed for the second spell. 

How is it that guys like you/us can figure this out but the so called pro's can't? 

Rhetorical question.

Ah remember the heady days when we regularly beat Bangladesh, even in warm-ups. Now I would not bet on SA beating the Afghans.

There is such a huge gap between NZ,India,Aus,England in this World Cup, its actually frightening. They are just on another playing level. Bangladesh is for me the team that is def the suprise package.

There is such a huge gap between NZ,India,Aus,England in this World Cup, its actually frightening. They are just on another playing level. Bangladesh is for me the team that is def the suprise package.

Guess what? I was not surprised based on their coaching team.

India will Win the WC

Most sorted team. Should have kept Dhoni as captain. Kholi too much of a hot head that sometimes seems to run around like a headless chicken when things don't go his way.

Edited by Moridin

Most sorted team. Should have kept Dhoni as captain. Kholi too much of a hot heat that sometimes seems to run around like a headless chicken when things don't go his way.

then you'll enjoy this.  ^_^

post-6789-0-26577900-1561276444_thumb.jpg

Tale of the Captains tapes thus far:

Tests:

Ganguly: captained 49 Tests, winning ratio 42.85% while that of losing is 26.53

Dhoni: 60 tests, win ratio 45% while that of losing is 30%

Kohli: 46 Tests, win ratio 56.52% while that of losing is 21.73%

ODIs:

Ganguly: 146 ODIs,  win ratio 54%

Dhoni: 200 ODIs, win ratio 59%

Kohli: 68 ODIs,  win ratio of 74% (clearly still a relative babe in this format compared to his predecessors)

Away v Home records

Ganguly's performance as a skipper overseas has fared even in the ODIs. He led India to 58 victories out of the 111 matches while Dhoni's overseas records are better in the limited overs as compared to the Tests. He has led India to 67 victories of 117 matches. Virat Kohli's records are equally distributed in home and away conditions. He has led India in 40 away ODIs, winning 30 of them.

Batting Performances

Ganguly scored 5082 runs as the skipper of the team and averaged 38.79 while overall in ODI cricket, Ganguly notched up 11221 runs while averaging 40.95. MS Dhoni, on the other hand, averages more as a captain, with 53.56 and overall, averages 50.72.

Virat Kohli's record as a captain is phenomenal. He has scored 4123 runs and has the highest batting average as an ODI skipper, with 80.84 from 68 matches

Sauce

Edited by Capricorn

I'm glad Rabada has been brought back to earth. Total flop this WC. Hopefully he has gained that maturity he accused Kohli of lacking.

Loving the way Bangladesh is playing. they've got some superb batsmen in their lineup. A bit more lethality in their bowling lineup will ratchet them right up there with India I reckon.

even in comparison to Afghanistan's play of the other day, South Africa came in limp and continued to shrivel. It's been a shocking lack of BMT, and it's odd given the maturity in the team. they haven't been this lacklustre since i can't remember when.

Edited by Capricorn