Specialized command Post service

Quagga

I need to or want to service the dropper, so I asked Spez for the service kit

"Sorry but we only have that at HO for the small price of R650"

Now, not only should the kit be about R350 rand and the total price does not bother me much either. the issue I have it that it is MY post I CAN service it myself and it does not have a warranty.

The kits are available online at Bike24 so WHY is it that Spez wants to play this game?

Anyone else know where one could get the parts? The post looses air over a week hence I wanted to service it.

https://www.bike24.com/p2183663.html

Edit: another reason I don't want to send it in, I have seen some others that came back with scratches.... 

Edited by Quagga

School fees.Thats what you get for going Specialized.

Which post do you have?

I ask because I know one of their posts you need special tools to disassemble it so even if you get the kit it ain’t going to help you.

Another reason they want to do service is because they keep record of fork/shock/dropper services so when customers come 2 years down the line and haven’t followed services looking for warranty they can show you the middle finger.

You don’t have a choice so suck it up and pay.

I'll sommer share my recent experience with my Lyne dropper.

Had a XL 170mm dropper that started leaking air after 4 months. They replaced the cartridge no questions asked and said it is not normal for a dropper to leak that fast. 

When i went to collect the bike they mentioned it could be as simple a dodge o-ring or even manufacturing tolerances for the spicific cartridge. 

they also mentioned that under normal conditions and use it should go about a year before the need for either a refill or a full service.

my 'new' one works a lot better than the old one. Smoother too.

Also be aware once youve send it in, they will most likely tell you the stantion is scratched or chipped and needs replacement for another odd R1000 or so. I told them to bugger of, as the stantion was perfect. 

They did this to 2 of my buddies as well. 

My command post was serviced 3 or 4 times by spez concept store, with no improvement in function (simply, it didn't go back up). 

Sent to Spez HO for warranty claim.  Came back from Stellies.  Same problem reappeared after one day.

Back to concept store as part of major service - charged for a new post (ball parts replaced).  Now, it works.

Spez dropper posts are complete $h!t#.  My previous one was similarly useless.

School fees.Thats what you get for going Specialized.

Which post do you have?

I ask because I know one of their posts you need special tools to disassemble it so even if you get the kit it ain’t going to help you.

Another reason they want to do service is because they keep record of fork/shock/dropper services so when customers come 2 years down the line and haven’t followed services looking for warranty they can show you the middle finger.

You don’t have a choice so suck it up and pay.

I dont have a warranty with the post - 2nd hand. I already opened it and did clean and assemble but I think I need the two o-rings that goes at the bottom as i suspect that is where the air comes out.

There is NO -need for them to want to track what I do with a product they don't own

EDIT: I have the 125mm command post internal

Edited by Quagga

My command post was serviced 3 or 4 times by spez concept store, with no improvement in function (simply, it didn't go back up). 

Sent to Spez HO for warranty claim.  Came back from Stellies.  Same problem reappeared after one day.

Back to concept store as part of major service - charged for a new post (ball parts replaced).  Now, it works.

Spez dropper posts are complete $h!t#.  My previous one was similarly useless.

This is why I dont want to send it in. If they "service" it and it still does not work there is NO way I can say it is because they did something. And then I have to pay for new one.

With this attitude I am SOOOO glad I no longer ride a Spez

• 7 months later...

Did anyone here ever come up with a solution regarding servicing your dropper posts? I'm trying to decide between having mine serviced locally or importing the service kits and doing it myself. Regardless, I'll switch at least one of my bikes to a Lyne post - their stuff rocks and they're local :)

Edited by aquaratza

There are plenty of videos online. I took mine in and it was sent to HQ. They gave me the dinged stanchion story but I resisted their attempt to make me spend more. It now works 100%, hasnt lost any air yet and has a fancy service sticker on it. R695.

Did anyone here ever come up with a solution regarding servicing your dropper posts? I'm trying to decide between having mine serviced locally or importing the service kits and doing it myself. Regardless, I'll switch at least one of my bikes to a Lyne post - their stuff rocks and they're local :)

I got the kit from Spez and did mine myself

Edited by Quagga

How much did you pay for the kit and did you require any special tools?

The kit was around R470 and you can choose to get the "special" bullet tool that makes the install of the o-rings slightly easier, but I did it mine without

Even the demo Stumpy I got from my local concept store had a leaking post.

If you in CT and its only o-rings you replacing, I've been getting supplies from Coastal Seals in Maitland. They even have the quad seals for my Monarch shock.