BROKEN CLAVICAL BONE( NEED ADVICE)

dubbleup

HI . ANY CYCLIST OUT THERE  WHO SUFFERED FROM A BROKEN CLAVICAL BONE. I HAVE READ THAT IT IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMON INJURIES WITH CYCLING.JUST BECAME PART OF THE STATISTICS.

MINE WERE REPAIRED WITH A METAL PLATE AND SKREWS. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IN GENERAL HOW LONG YOUR RECOVERY TOOK. HOW LONG BEFORE YOU COULD GET BACK ON YOUR BIKES.

THANKS

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy on the caps lock there brother.

I have a thread on here for the break I suffered at the end of Feb. Mine healed naturally without an op, so not exactly the same. Was back on the bike outdoors in 8 weeks, on the IDT after 3-4 weeks.

Just take it easy, don't do anything that feels uncomfortable and err on the side of caution. You'll be fine.

HI . ANY CYCLIST OUT THERE  WHO SUFFERED FROM A BROKEN CLAVICAL BONE. I HAVE READ THAT IT IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMON INJURIES WITH CYCLING.JUST BECAME PART OF THE STATISTICS.

MINE WERE REPAIRED WITH A METAL PLATE AND SKREWS. WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IN GENERAL HOW LONG YOUR RECOVERY TOOK. HOW LONG BEFORE YOU COULD GET BACK ON YOUR BIKES.

THANKS

I repaired mine with cable ties

HI . ANY CYCLIST OUT THERE WHO SUFFERED FROM A BROKEN CLAVICAL BONE. I HAVE READ THAT IT IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMON INJURIES WITH CYCLING.JUST BECAME PART OF THE STATISTICS.

THANKS

????????????????

Single use plastic are bad for the sea turtles.

Bloudraad for the win

Welcome to the club.

But seriously, take it easy. My plate came loose (potentially because I thought i was 100% when I wasn't) and there's few things worse than feeling a bunch of wiggly loose screws in your shoulder. 2 surgeries and now chilling with a banana-shaped clavicle.

Easy on the caps lock there brother.

I have a thread on here for the break I suffered at the end of Feb. Mine healed naturally without an op, so not exactly the same. Was back on the bike outdoors in 8 weeks, on the IDT after 3-4 weeks.

Just take it easy, don't do anything that feels uncomfortable and err on the side of caution. You'll be fine.

Thanks. Following the Dr instructions to the point. will start IDT after 4 weeks if i have no discomfort.

Thanks. Following the Dr instructions to the point. will start IDT after 4 weeks if i have no discomfort.

Are you going to leave the plate in or take it out later?

I had a fall last year September broke clavicle, wrist and elbow .

Wrist got a screw in the rest was left to heal naturally. Got on the IDT about 5 days later with alot of discomfort. Got outside about 10 weeks later but still felt wrist and elbow and a was taking it easier didnt feel shoulder so much but if i should have had another fall would have had another brake so thats something to consider might be healed but not properly set after 10-12 week

Good luck with Recovery

There have been a couple of threads on the issue over the years, below are the links for some. There is lots of good advice in there. Heal well, and follow the advice of your surgeon, do your physio, be patient, don't listen to people who tell you stories of how they did a hand stand two days after! No two fractures or people are the same!

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/159412-broken-collarbone/?hl=broken+collarbone

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/16246-broken-collarbone/?hl=broken+collarbone

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/118682-broken-collarbone-how-long-am-i-out/?hl=broken+collarbone

Did the deed, did not get plates (with plates recovery is so much quicker).

I was on the IDT in 4 days and on the road in a week on MTB. 

Did Tiptrans in 2 weeks with a sling (not a good idea as it never grafted back.)

Recommendation is get on an IDT if you want and just get the legs moving. You don't even have to have your hands on the bars for that. Just turning the legs over is way good. 

Mine took about 25 years to fully recover. But I was functional just a few weeks after my op (pin inside clavicle). It's not a big deal.

Refer to Forum:

Broken Clavicle - Your experiences

After 2 weeks on the IDT, on the bike in 7 weeks and 13 weeks done 36one.

HI . ANY CYCLIST OUT THERE WHO SUFFERED FROM A BROKEN CLAVICAL BONE. I HAVE READ THAT IT IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMON INJURIES WITH CYCLING.JUST BECAME PART OF THE STATISTICS.

THANKS

Please stop screaming. This is supposed to be a safe space.

THANKS

Broken on Saterday.Operated the same day .Worked again on thuesday and cycled very carefully on the next Sunday .Mine healed well ,but confidence takes the biggest knock .Please don,,t duplicate .That was just irresponsible me 

Archived