Detachable Towbar - Safety Pin

Drumboy

Morning All

I have a detachable towbar mounted on my vehicle, with the safety pin that just pulls out.(Circled in Red)

I am wondering if anyone has come accross a safety pin that can somehow be locked to the towbar, when my bike rack is attached, its obviously very easy for a "skelm" to just pull out the pin and remove the whole towbar including my bike rack and bikes, I have searched all over but cannot find any local solution for this, I have attached the picture of the lock mechanism I am looking for, but cannot find any local stockists of these - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

post-146424-0-56558200-1562740626_thumb.jpg

post-146424-0-84397000-1562740976_thumb.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would drill open that hole to accommodate something like this.

+1 have had Yale locks on our trailer for 12 years now and its only been a pleasure

Padlock idea is the way to go. 

And since your bike is attached to it fit the sturdiest padlock you can (and make sure, if your insurance is one of those that stipulates the thickness of bike cable you need etc etc, that they are happy with it...)

I fitted a padlock to my removable towbar, even though my bike rack doesn't attached to it. Figured the sheer weight in scrap would make it desirable to the shopping trolley brigade to steal if the opportunity presented itself...

Have you checked with Ford for a towbar lock?

I have, but no luck - They only have the normal pin

I have, but no luck - They only have the normal pin

Dont know who will have one locally tho. You could try towbars cape or bosal. Ebay also has those pins.

They could also just undo the bolt holding the ball on? So you should look at that too.

Quite right. However I thought that adding a padlock will deter the casual thief, the one who carries around the massive M30 spanner (or whatever it is) to unbolt the tow ball will probably have the tools to get the lock off anyway.