Detachable Towbar - Safety Pin

Drumboy

They could also just undo the bolt holding the ball on? So you should look at that too.

You have a keen eye for this level of detail.... :ph34r:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite right. However I thought that adding a padlock will deter the casual thief, the one who carries around the massive M30 spanner (or whatever it is) to unbolt the tow ball will probably have the tools to get the lock off anyway.

The one with the massive M30 spanner will find a way to steal irrespective of how fancy your lock is.

Then your next best protection against theft is insurance.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

The one with the massive M30 spanner will find a way to steal irrespective of how fancy your lock is.

Then your next best protection against theft is insurance.

Had same pin hitch on my Rav and replaced the pin with a bolt and nut which also stopped it from rattling. 

Searched a while back without luck.

Most suggested drilling the hole bigger to accommodate a lock.

Never got around to it though ...

There's a sturdy bolt underneath the bracket that must be tightened when the towbar is put in place. If you tighten it properly, the skelms can't pull that out without a wrench of sorts to loosen it. 

Quite right. However I thought that adding a padlock will deter the casual thief, the one who carries around the massive M30 spanner (or whatever it is) to unbolt the tow ball will probably have the tools to get the lock off anyway.

To take the towball off will require at 2 spanners one of them at least being a power bar. 

To take the towball off will require at 2 spanners one of them at least being a power bar. 

Jip.

I have replaced the slider with a bolt and lock-nut on a previous vehicle.  You would also need to big spanners to undo that combination.  And with the bikes in place it will take some gymnastics to undo the bolts.  Anybody willing to go to those extremes will find a way to steal your bikes ....

I also found out that my Thule rack would move / pivot around the ball and tried all sort of remedies thinking that the chrome was the issue as it was too smooth and the rack could not grip properly.........to eventually figure out that the ball is bolted through the L plate and was not tightly secured! Ended up spot welding it!

I hate removable towbars. Great for offroading, but terrible for mall crawlers like my wife's platkar.

One option is to loop a long (proper) cable somewhere through the chassis, and then loop it through the rack and bike and secure it with a proper padlock. That way both the rack and bikes are secured to your chassis.

Maybe I am over (or under) thinking this, but for the most part, if you want to steal a bike from a (insert brand name here) rack, the bikes are usually attached with a rubber/plastic strap and if the owner is super diligent then a cable with a padlock. It would probably be easier and quicker to either cut the cable/padlock with bolt cutters or just break the strap and take the bike.

Surely removing the tow bar or tow ball is a bit extreme? TBH I haven't heard of anyone having had their bike and rack stolen let alone their towbar. I have enough hassle just carrying my Thule from the car to the garage to hang it up let alone with a bike or three attached to it.

But then again that is the logical thought process of a "normal" citizen and not some wunga fueled psychotic bike thief willing to dismantle a car to make a few rand on a bike.

Here's the train of thought I try to follow: 

• Get an invite to a ride / race - Can I cycle to said meet up for some extra km's

Yes / No - Yes

• Cycle there and enjoy

Yes / No - No

• Decline the offer and ride on your own  :D.
Edited by RobertWhitehead

This is becoming a kinda how-to for skelms able to use google...

I'm thinking the plan is to rock up at bike races with your removable tow bar off.

find one with just a "cotter pin" on it like the OP.

transfer bike rack+ bikes to your car and put on the removable towbar, and drive off

happy days.