Training Mat

Any recommendations on training mats for IDT, I'm not gonna pay 1500 ronds for a kickr.

So who is using what ?

please tell ....

I have considered getting a piece of rubber sheet from my local rubber company, similar to what I got for the garage (just much smaller)

post-110956-0-28323200-1563300667_thumb.jpg

please tell ....

I have considered getting a piece of rubber sheet from my local rubber company, similar to what I got for the garage (just much smaller)

N+0.jpg

Good idea. Got some of the inidvidual 50cmx50cm blocks for my dog's kennel. It worked out R360 for 8 tiles. I imagine 4 would be enough for an idt.

https://www.builders.co.za/Tiles-%26-Flooring/Flooring/Vinyl-Tiles/Multi-Flor-Interlocking-PVC-Tiles---Black-%281m2%29/p/000000000000593770

Good idea. Got some of the inidvidual 50cmx50cm blocks for my dog's kennel. It worked out R360 for 8 tiles. I imagine 4 would be enough for an idt.https://www.builders.co.za/Tiles-%26-Flooring/Flooring/Vinyl-Tiles/Multi-Flor-Interlocking-PVC-Tiles---Black-(1m2)/p/000000000000593770

You will need 8 to cover everything and keep the whole rig on the same level

Edited by RocknRolla

Yoga mat

Check out takealot for a brand called Just Sports and also the Decathlon sports store (saw some cheap camping mats that would work as well).

Slightly different question: "WHY do we need a mat?"

I fully appreciate that it is NEEDED where the bike is on a carpet, to manage the sweat.

But if the bike is on a tiled floor ?  Wiping up the sweat from the tiles is no different from wiping up sweat from a mat .... or what am I missing ?

I have a jet black mat. Paid R50 on clearance at sportsman warehouse...!

Edited by BMXER

If you go to builders they have 5mm rubber mat that you can buy per meter for dirt cheap.

The reason you want a black rubber mat not tiles is there is some splatter from chain lube down onto the tiles and the grease/lube can stain the grout and looks messy. On the rubber mat the grease is hidden somewhat and you can take it out and high pressure hose it once a week to keep it properly clean. Also if you have it on tiles in the house you have to clean it regularly to avoid the house smelling, with a mat, if you don't have time to clean right away you can drag mat outside.

If you go to builders they have 5mm rubber mat that you can buy per meter for dirt cheap.

The reason you want a black rubber mat not tiles is there is some splatter from chain lube down onto the tiles and the grease/lube can stain the grout and looks messy. On the rubber mat the grease is hidden somewhat and you can take it out and high pressure hose it once a week to keep it properly clean. Also if you have it on tiles in the house you have to clean it regularly to avoid the house smelling, with a mat, if you don't have time to clean right away you can drag mat outside.

I also did the builders rubber/plastic mat on the roll (per Meter). I think it's also bigger than the training mats you can buy. Worked out cheaper than interlocking tiles and you won't have "seepage" of sweat through the joins. I have mine on a wooden floor, so was pretty much necessary.

for sweat, i have what seems to be the mother of all fans and that keeps sweat down. use a towel quite a bit too.

grease though is a PITA. i use a yoga mat, but I find my Kickr wanders forwards a bit during harder interval sessions and that's also a PITA. When done, I fold it in half then roll it up. I should clean it sometime...

good ideas thanx people - think i'll go for some of those rubber tiles on top of a 6mm HD foam to help dampen the noise and vibration a bit. 

Thank you for this post! I had the same question. Will pop by builders this weekend