947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

De Beers pass is fun, or used to be. Not sure what the surface is like now but few years ago when I did, it was awesome.

Veebee, the roads up that way are incredible for cycling.   It is about 50km from Ladysmith to the top of De Beers, or there about (blurred vision hahaha) and they have re-tarred the bit from Ladysmith to just before the Besters turn off, chip and spray so rather bumpy to be polite...   

However the next 30 odd kms are on smooth road, no pot holes and best of all, if maybe 6 cars were on that stretch of road I might even be exaggerating...  So absolutely perfect cycling conditions.   

The wind that day was a bit hectic, 40km plus, so the challenge to get to the top but stay on top of your bike was equal hahaha.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do the MTB and Kiddies race packs have to be collected at a separate event? Can the organizers not just hold the expo the week before the road race starting on Thursday 7 November 2019 instead of having two separate number collection events? This can be especially frustrating for cyclists that attend the kids, MTB and road events every year.

I won't be participating this year as I have not trained enough if at all. I did it alone last year (first ever race 3:45) and although it was fun(tequila shots) and a great experience overall, it's just something that I feel would be a million times better with friends or family suffering with you on the road.

I won't be participating this year as I have not trained enough if at all. I did it alone last year (first ever race 3:45) and although it was fun(tequila shots) and a great experience overall, it's just something that I feel would be a million times better with friends or family suffering with you on the road.

Call rent-a-friend

I won't be participating this year as I have not trained enough if at all.

Still like 2 and a half months... (I've done it on 2 weeks training before and it was fine (obviously not great for the last 20km or so though))

Officially entered through WorldNet again for this year's incarnation. Did a 4h06 last year, really hoping I can manage enough training to get a sub-3h30. On my 15kg MTB with knobbies its going to take some doing, hopefully I can find a few groups to tag along with...

Or, just the fris bald oke I tagged behind on the M1 last year. Fris random road biker oke, I may not have thanked you in person, but sucking your wheel for the majority of the M1, sitting on the rivet the entire time, probably accounted for my time being much quicker than I planned. Thank you! I hope to find you and your impeccably sculpted calves once more on said highway!

Still like 2 and a half months... (I've done it on 2 weeks training before and it was fine (obviously not great for the last 20km or so though))

Considering the amount of training I did last year ( 4000km+ between Jan & Nov) i can probably do it if I put in some effort from now till the race...BUT like you say the last 20km will be a battle and with the reversed route that = Kyalami!, which took EVERYTHING from me last year and I'll probably be riding in the sun again although not as late as last year(I started in the second last group 9am?) so I'm not exactly hyped about that idea.

Out of interest what kind of seeding will I get this year if I finished last year's event with a time of 3:45? Anytime after 7:30am and im definitely not doing it.

What time approx do the charity groups start?

Usually just after 8am, but with the dedicated Vitality and Cycle Lab/ABSA groups also in the mix, some things might be moved around, 

What time approx do the charity groups start?

I remember 8AM for some reason... but I might be way out. 

Absolute last group departs around 9h30...methinks

I remember 8AM for some reason... but I might be way out. 

Absolute last group departs around 9h30...methinks

Usually just after 8am, but with the dedicated Vitality and Cycle Lab/ABSA groups also in the mix, some things might be moved around, 

Ok thank you. I shall pack extra sunblock with me.