947 Cycle Challenge 2019

Neville Bailey

So sad to hear about the rider who lost their life ????

Started off well until 5 mins in when my mates MTB tyre exploded... took us about 10 mins to stop lagging and start changing it.

To the Good Samaritan who took my money for the spare tube, thank you!

Was really well organized despite the heat ????

Hope everyone had a great day out

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4:30 for me..started off a bit bad as I hit a pedestrian about 15/20km into the ride who tried to gap it across the road and I had nowhere to go really, came off the bike but nothing major for the bike or myself....left the pedestrian getting a gobfull from the traffic cops! (he was fine....)

That wind was just soul destroying! Rain and cold I don't mind but wind just seems to bleed the energy right out of you....

Only bit I didn't enjoy too much was at the end trying to get out past the medal collections...! Felt like it took forever (then again I knew I had burgers and ice cold water and drinks in my car...the force was strong in those cold beverages,...!)

Edited by Mojoman

So sad to hear about the rider who lost their life

Started off well until 5 mins in when my mates MTB tyre exploded... took us about 10 mins to stop lagging and start changing it.

To the Good Samaritan who took my money for the spare tube, thank you!

Was really well organized despite the heat

Hope everyone had a great day out

I think I was behind you guys...just after 8am? With it being JHB I thought a gun had gone off!

Don’t worry, I kicked one of those pedestrians in Randburg CBD; beautiful moment, got lots of cheers from fellow cyclists.

4:30 for me..started off a bit bad as I hit a pedestrian about 15/20km into the ride who tried to gap it across the road and I had nowhere to go really, came off the bike but nothing major for the bike or myself....left the pedestrian getting a gobfull from the traffic cops! (he was fine....)

That wind was just soul destroying! Rain and cold I don't mind but wind just seems to bleed the energy right out of you....

Only bit I didn't enjoy too much was at the end trying to get out past the medal collections...! Felt like it took forever (then again I knew I had burgers and ice cold water and drinks in my car...the force was strong in those cold beverages,...!)

I think I was behind you guys...just after 8am? With it being JHB I thought a gun had gone off!

That was us :) Edited by Loudpedal

Crap day out for me.

The goal was a sub 4, with a 3:45 being my first prize.

Right from the get go I felt rubbish on the bike, from the 30km mark I started suffering, cramps in my sides, then saddle felt so uncomfortable.

I pushed through, but eventually every part of me was taking strain.

When I hit the M1 I was hoping to pick up a bunch, nothing, instead I landed up pulling a few people, the bunches I did find were then riding so erratically that I didn’t feel like sticking with them.

At the top of the Kyalami mine shaft I picked up my first cramp, left hamstring. Rode it out luckily but then the right thigh started.

Limped it Home from there in 4:06 totally broken.

I enjoyed no part of today’s race.

Can’t blame the race though, it was all me.

was an awesome day out! Felt good on the bike and cramps stayed away almost till the end. Managed to get a nice group on the M1! At that speed its tuff to stay close on a MTB! Kudos to everyone at the front working hard!

Goal was a 3:30 for this year and managed to get in at 3:15 so Im happy with my day out.

Event well organized as always and I will definitely enter again for next year.

Crap day out...

... Limped it Home... totally broken.

I enjoyed no part of today’s race.

Can’t blame the race though, it was all me.

Sounds just like my day... I knew I was never going to do my VB seeding justice and decided to drop back because I have been a lazy so and so. Eventually with the crappy traffic I made D. I have never suffered so much as today. Atthe first hill I sent instructions to the engine room and got Scottie fro. Star Trek reply "shes not gonna take much more of this captain"

Felt like I was nursing cramps in all parts of my legs and glutes all 2:55 of the race.

All my fault as just not enough TITS and lack of preparation and 3kg extra getting dragged around. The difference - 20min lost on last year.

HOWEVER I do think this route is a lot harder and brutal than the other routes before.

Edited by s14phoenix

Finished just under 4hrs with two weeks of training or commuting to work (25km one way). The wind on M1 was not lekker but it was expected!

Well done to everyone

Well done all.

My ride didnt go that well, went too hard from the start, then lost my garmin on malibongwe over those speed breakers, the mount broke and unit flew off. From there it was like riding blind, we rely soo much on tech.

Got dropped up Jan Smuts then had loads of people pass me, so sat up abit thinking I'm way off and there's no chance of doing a good time.

Picked up a good bunch on the M1, had some time to recover and went strong till the end. Finished in 3:02, was soo bummed about it. Had I know my times along the route, I'm sure I would have pushed harder.

Oh well, thats how it goes.

If anyone comes across a Edge 510, please let me know. My name and contact number is on the start up screen.

Cheers

I saw a Garmin cover around malibongwe

All good!  :thumbup:     Wasn't sure if I was going to ride because I picked up someone's bug on my Monday flight back from Tel Aviv, but my wife doctored me well during the week and this morning I only had a very mild cough with some sinus congestion (which is worse now) But decided that I felt good enough to go and ride, but still to take it easy and safe.   Stopped at every 2nd water point for some refill and also stopped for a few photo's to send to my supporters via whatsapp  :) Just before Kyalami I started to cramp very badly in both legs but I stayed on the bike and kept on riding  ( I think it is from all the water I drank at the water points).

Just over the finish line I saw my wife and 2 terrorist sons and waved  :rolleyes: for the video shot -  all done in 4:28.     

It was a tough ride,  and the wind also didn't play along well, and along with the GG start time heat I did suffer a bit - but the pleasure of suffering with thousands alongside me was awesome!  ;)   and I will do it again!

2211 finishers for the 40km route, that's a good start, likely a lot moved from the longer distance where there are 15606 finishers.

Probably. Saw some 40km riders riding veeery expensive bikes

Edited by Mokgaga

2013) 5h25:59 (on a MTB)

2015) 5h26:54 (on a MTB with slicks - ouch)
2017) 4h38:37 (borrowed Merida Scultura)
2018) 3h46:44 (Titan Stryker Calypso Sport)
2019) 3h17:22 (Raleigh RC3000)

Aimed for 3h15 this year and considering I felt a bit ill close to the end, I could have cracked it. Raleigh is just the best machine!!