Maintenance after traversing water hazards?

MORNE

So after riding the Stellenbosch MTB Challenge at Spier the past weekend and having to do 2 'proper' water hazards on the route (both through streams), my question to you lot is what extra care do you take after having to do these.

It was a wet and muddy day so the bikes were reluctantly washed last night and i'll leave them to fully dry out this week before i'll probably take them apart this coming weekend and do a full re-grease. Luckily only 2 hardtalls.

The  storm water underpasses were fine as they were not that deep..just muddy. The first one through he river/stream at about 35km was deeper though but you could just power through and get the camera man full of water.  The second one at around 45km sucked balls.

I was actually a bit miffed at race organisers for not having a marshal at the second one to oversee safe passage...as there was almost no way of judging how deep it was if you got to it 'first'. it was totally unmanned.

A few people fell in it behind us while I was waiting for the wife to traverse it. it was deep enough that when they fell all cleated in...they were basically swimming...bikes fully submerged, especially on the right end. I told the wife to rather stop and walk through since we got to it at the front of the group we were riding in so could not judge how deep it was as mentioned...and it looked deep just judging by the fence on the right.

The water was about knee height for the shorter varieties of you. in hindsight we should have probably carried the bikes over...but in the heat of the moment we just went trough as fast/safely as possible.

It is obviously not something you can do every single weekend....but it had to be done on the day. So what do you do when faced with situations like this....regarding traversal and ensuing maintenance lol 

thanks

EDIT: a pic of what the wet post-apocalyptic eeriness was like the whole race.

post-64325-0-85909000-1564379134_thumb.jpeg

Edited by morneS555

Following this topic.

But must add, I have been sitting on the fence about going with flats (bought ages ago, and never used).  All the mud and the severe problems I had with cleating and uncleating have pushed me off the fence.  Next ride will be with flats.

Edited by Sbloomer

Following this topic.

But must add, I have been sitting on the fence about going with flats (bought ages ago, and never used).  All the mud and the severe problems I had with cleating an uncleating have pushed my off the fence.  Next ride will be with flats.

yea the mud made for a sucky cleat experience all day when you had to get off your bike....and not no mention I'm SUPER miffed that my relatively expensive shoes are drenched through because of mentioned water hazards...not even something I do to shoes I hate.  

haha that poor guy taking pictures, I also splashed him badly  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

the last crossing was very deep indeed, almost came to a stop there.

No offense though, but if you don't want your shoes to get wet or dirty, maybe don't ride a mountain bike ?

Edited by Jbr

I luckily got to the last crossing behind some others, and immediately got off when I saw how deep it was.  Managed to keep the drivetrain and rear shock (relatively) dry.  

Also following - keen to know whether special cleaning / drying of the bb / rear shock / other submerged parts is required...

haha that poor guy taking pictures, I also splashed him badly  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

the last crossing was very deep indeed, almost came to a stop there.

No offense though, but if you don't want your shoes to get wet or dirty, maybe don't ride a mountain bike ?

i have no issue with them getting dirty or wet on the surface and they get dirty often....but basically 'swimming' in any shoe probably halfs its service life imo lol

I luckily got to the last crossing behind some others, and immediately got off when I saw how deep it was.  Managed to keep the drivetrain and rear shock (relatively) dry.  

Also following - keen to know whether special cleaning / drying of the bb / rear shock / other submerged parts is required...

yea i'm also wondering about BB/hub bearings since they were defo submerged. also...lying awake in bed last night i was thinking about my dropper cable entry point in the frame right above the BB...pretty sure that was under water at the second pool. i didn't even think about that when cleaning the bikes. probably need to take all that out and drain it. 

Riding through water does no more damage than washing your bike. Salt water is a different story altogether like the Imana rides but even then with proper precautions, a good wash every day and a full strip down and washout after the event everything is good.

Mud is far more detrimental to your various components due to the sandpaper effect.

A good wash, dry and lube is all that's required.

i have no issue with them getting dirty or wet on the surface and they get dirty often....but basically 'swimming' in any shoe probably halfs its service life imo lol

If your shoes lifespan is halved by getting wet then you need to find another brand or ask for a refund.

I know people who put there's in the washing machine and I soak and scrub mine regularly. I even go swimming in them to cool off on a ride and these are defiantly not cheap shoes. 

Edit: I have never had any issues of know of people who have apart from maybe you very entry level shoes.

Edited by Spoke101

Naah, your shoes will be fine. I've gone through the lot with my shoes and they just keep going. 

I went through the same rivers yesterday but sadly my bike only got a beeg rinse off as I didn't have a chance to wash it off. Won't have a chance to drop it off at my LBS either....  :thumbdown:

After yesterday's mudfest and especially the second river crossing, I am stripping my bike fully to clean and drain the water out of my frame damn internal cable routing.

After the two river crossings on the second half, my drive train crunched like crazy, and it messed up my shifting as well. so guess a deep de grease and clean of the chain will be at the order of the day.

That second crossing was deep as hell. My 650b wheels were nearly fully submerged. Made it about three quarters of the way through before being bogged down by the water and had to power through it like crazy.

Didn't have time to clean my bike last night, so tonight will be set aside for stripping, cleaning etc

Following this topic.

But must add, I have been sitting on the fence about going with flats (bought ages ago, and never used).  All the mud and the severe problems I had with cleating an uncleating have pushed my off the fence.  Next ride will be with flats.

Thats why I ride with Funn Mamba 2's. It a clipless flat. If the mud buildup gets too much, you can still ride them as flats. Basically what I did up to water point three. by that time the mud started falling out around my cleats and I could ride clipped in to the finish from there

Seriously?  Water?  You don't need to give your bike any more attention because of going through a river...  All bikes have a drain hole under the BB, so if any water got in it'll get out again.  

Mud on the other hand is an entirely different story.  Here's a pic of my bike in Tanzania last month.  This is far more detrimental than water.  Do none of you  ride in the rain?

post-50271-0-60063800-1564384387_thumb.jpg

Edited by dirtypot

Seriously?  Water?  You don't need to give your bike any more attention because of going through a river...  All bikes have a drain hole under the BB, so if any water got in it'll get out again.  

Mud on the other hand is an entirely different story.  Here's a pic of my bike in Tanzania last month.  This is far more detrimental than water.  Do none of you  ride in the rain?

My  Ibis only has drain holes in the rear triangle unfortunately. can hear the water in the front triangle. That means headset out again and hanging the frame up to drain

riding in the rain/washing with a hose vs basically 'dropping your bike in the pool' are two different things haha. i guess that is what we are asking.

edit: not from this weekend but getting dirty is fun though :clap:

post-64325-0-79809700-1562518131_thumb.jpeg
Edited by morneS555