[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic Road Race

Frosty

Nah, not doing it. I ride the trails regularly enough for free using my own water and supplements. Not sure if Carnival charge for hosting it but race cant cost much, except for having metro on hand for the road cross over from Carnival to Dalpark, timing (I can time myself), medals (don't need, don't want) throw in a couple of WP's with coke, energade or water, the trails are all open and can be ridden anytime.

Whatever?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever?

Sorry Frosty that came across as harsh, I know its well organized and entry fees go to good cause.

I am doing the road race though. 

So Mr Frosty, when do we get our start times, We are worried about the heat and Rugby.

Edited by Dexter-morgan

Well that is a fail.

Guess I will rather keep my entry fee for that other East Rand 100 race and rather go for a run on this day.

Do you race for prize money?? Nothing says I am a pro like winning the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic. 

We once beat Laerskool Putsonderwater in a rugby match. No prize money so I stopped playing  rugby after that. Wasn't pro enough for me. 

So Mr Frosty, when do we get our start times, We are worried about the heat and Rugby.

Online entries closed yesterday morning at 10:00, then a few queries, then the seeding run, number allocation and some more admin that I know very little about except that it does take time.

Should be today or tomorrow, as number collection starts on Thursday. 

With the Amashova the week before, we either cut off early (the Monday before) or the Sunday night (day before). We had to compromise on a few things, and go for the latter.

Sorry Frosty that came across as harsh, I know its well organized and entry fees go to good cause.

I am doing the road race though. 

We never made a cent last year because of a decline in numbers, and an increase in costs from service providers. We stand to lose again this year based on current numbers.

It just irritates me when people (I'm generalising here, and not directing this at you) assume that an event is cheap to organise. People needs shade at the finish - a marque tent is not cheap to hire. Toilets, fencing, race admin, CSA levies, water, coke, medals, prize money, etc. all cost money. Less than 400 people entering the event doesn't even cover the costs for the extra day never mind provide for the charities.

We never made a cent last year because of a decline in numbers, and an increase in costs from service providers. We stand to lose again this year based on current numbers.

It just irritates me when people (I'm generalising here, and not directing this at you) assume that an event is cheap to organise. People needs shade at the finish - a marque tent is not cheap to hire. Toilets, fencing, race admin, CSA levies, water, coke, medals, prize money, etc. all cost money. Less than 400 people entering the event doesn't even cover the costs for the extra day never mind provide for the charities.

I'll take my smack like a man.  :oops:

One very sun dried tomato coming up. 

:cursing:  Seeding...  :angry:

I feel your pain but look at the week-end weather for the wind 29km/h, and we were hoping for a 4hr ride.

Most cyclist, dont know the half of it  :eek:

Having some behind the scenes experience and being part of events, makes you realize just how much goes into it.

Let me add some expenses to your list:  Medics with ambulance on site, metro police, venue for registration/start/finish, marshals at intersections, food for marshals (some of them get dropped off at their positions at 5am and picked up at 3pm), reflective vests and flags for marshals, vehicle/bus for marshals, Road Rangers / ThinkBike Marshals, sound system, MC, safety officer, venue for race control, photographer, lead out vehicle, video guys,  timing, water points, drink, food and man power at water points, sweep vehicle, cleaning crew, municipality agreements, applications to go through national parks must be submitted a year in advance, permits, prize money, podium, backdrop, petrol for all the vehicles on the road... I can go on but you should get the picture by now :D

Aaaaand... after all that, you have not spent one cent marketing the event!

No point in having it all set up and no one turns up!

Oh and sponsors are not lining up to splash out hundreds of thousands to see little to none on return.

Lets start an event, it will be easy they said.

Do you race for prize money?? Nothing says I am a pro like winning the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic. 

We once beat Laerskool Putsonderwater in a rugby match. No prize money so I stopped playing  rugby after that. Wasn't pro enough for me. 

Well done on dredging this up, and great comment. If you doing it for the prize money than their is something seriously lacking in your life!

Following on from been prepared on the Amashova thread, if the wind continues like it does today would switching to an e-bike count. 

Following on from been prepared on the Amashova thread, if the wind continues like it does today would switching to an e-bike count.

Besides the fact we would no longer be friends?

But why? Your logic stands; can ride all those roads for free and can time yourself....just saying

The fact that there's free flowing traffic through robots, stop signs etc, a seeding race for CTCT and 947 then beer and boerrie rolls at the end which I will not get with otherwise.

#hopethatanswersyourquestion. 

Edited by scotty