Bike Shop Damaged My Frame Issue - Help!

mrcg

mrcg, but if you accepted the new frame offer before they retracted it, at that point in time when you accepted it, an agreement came into being and CD are effectively stuck with that agreement. They can't simply then turn around and renege on the agreement. For them to do so is utterly reprehensible, if that is in fact what occurred.

Did you accept their offer in writing? If you can clearly show this trail of events in writing, then perhaps it is actually worth issuing summons.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ mrcg, how long/far did you ride the bike with the new BB/crank setup?

In hindsight I am wondering just how long you need to ride with the BB not installed with the epoxy before it would ovalise the internal BB shell.

My thoughts are, could the BB have been damaged in the four years before by a previously installed BB, and how was the previously installed BB installed. I would have to assume it also would have been expoxied in from the factory?

Just shooting from the hip here trying to see things from all angles.

To my mind, having to epoxy a part onto a bike has two big words associated with it. Latent Defect. Finding a solution by modifying the original design to be something that can not be changed (cups or no cups) does not ring right with me. The BB should then have been designed to have this as a permanent and designed fitting. I think there is a shared responsibility here between HO and LBS.

HO just saying, "well glue something in and you are good to go" does not sit well with me. I am no lawyer, but i do deal with the latent defect item in my job from time to time and there is usually a settlement negotiated between seller and buyer to accept that the "fix" is not perfect, but it suits both parties to move forward without paying lawyers fees and going to arbitration. Sometimes the seller does have to cough up big time and replace a lot of equipment that has been installed.
Only prob here is Spez will go to court to defend a questionable design and even more questionable repair method to "make the problem go away".

Thanks Morne and Mudlark for being more factual.

snip

just to clarify....I presume to know zero facts of the ACTUAL happenings and was mostly talking out of my arse too...you know, for the sake of a nice Friday thread :clap:  :whistling:

I was just exploring possible scenarios like a lot of other people here.

Then why do you not notify anyone that you've removed a post?

I've said it before, it's public domain. Different legal entity/set of rules you're dealing with

It’s not public domain. It’s their game, on their field, with their ball. We are just guests

Spez should step in here, do what they can. There might even be that model frame in a warehouse some where.

Then spez should also remove all rights for Cycles Direct to work on or sell their bikes. Quite a bit of damage has been done to the brand.

I have one supppier who consistantly suppplier me with goods i did not order. I have even returned the entire order a few times already. I have now come to a point where I no longer can do business with them. They a major brand, and a smaller brand i beating them hands with price and service

Specialized at it again, i had a fight with them also of paint peeling on my previous bike that i bought brand new from them. Anyways, sold the bike and so happy with my new bike, i will never ever purchase a specialized again.

This nothing to do with Specialized. The bike shop damaged the op's frame.

@ mrcg, how long/far did you ride the bike with the new BB/crank setup?

In hindsight I am wondering just how long you need to ride with the BB not installed with the epoxy before it would ovalise the internal BB shell.

My thoughts are, could the BB have been damaged in the four years before by a previously installed BB, and how was the previously installed BB installed. I would have to assume it also would have been expoxied in from the factory?

Just shooting from the hip here trying to see things from all angles.

CD should have noticed any damage if there was any damage done in the previous 4 years. They should have pointed it out before they incorrectly installed the bb.

From what has been stated, CD has never denied responsibility. If they were not at fault, why make the offers that they did?

The elephant in the room is that this ovalising bb is a KNOWN issue with these frames. New or not the owner should not have to pay to correct someones shoddy workmanship, be that at a design level or a maintenance level (excluding instances where maintenance is conducted at home by unskilled labour i.e owner).

Both manufacturer and LBS need to come to the party here as it is still the manufacturers name on the downtube

Can't help but notice that spez was thoughtful enough to comment on this thread (one liner but at least something) but CD has not even bothered. Not even a bland..."the matter is currently under advisement"

Perhaps they have been advised not to comment.....to me, it's seems as if they are not at all concerned about what perceptions their clients or potential clients might have.

All of what we heard is one sided. They don't seem to care. Unless of course the one side is true and they have no additional context to add?

Can't help but notice that spez was thoughtful enough to comment on this thread (one liner but at least something) but CD has not even bothered. Not even a bland..."the matter is currently under advisement"

Perhaps they have been advised not to comment.....to me, it's seems as if they are not at all concerned about what perceptions their clients or potential clients might have.

All of what we heard is one sided. They don't seem to care. Unless of course the one side is true and they have no additional context to add?

They may well have been advised not to participate in the discussion online

I admit that I read the original post and a few of the posts in between but not all 14 pages… But in principle, the original poster is entitled to be put back in the position he would have been in had they not damaged the frame bottom bracket in the first place. That is, in theoretical principle at least, the test that should be applied. How you get there in practice in these particular circumstances though is a slightly different matter.

If somebody like Carbon Repairs is willing to do the repair work and sign it off as having been properly done, that's probably about as much as you can reasonably ask for in the circumstances. It's a little bit like a car accident. Somebody goes into your car, the panel beaters repair it and warrant it for six months. One may not be wild about it but that's pretty much how the system works. I certainly wouldn't be prepared to accept a carbon repair on the bottom bracket carried out by the bike shop themselves (maybe I have the wrong end of the factual stick here?). But if it's done professionally, that's another matter.

In a car repai they generally replace panels and parts whereby a carbon bike repair is just that, a repair...If they suggested they should glue my car back together I would decline in favour of a new bodyshell/car...

What is the costs of such a new frame?   2019 model?

To sell his current frame (taking away any BB damage that has been described here) not even R15k.

In fact that is an over estimate on the current condition. I have same frame and battle to sell cause the 2019 model is much better Geo, new brain and stiffer carbon that people don't want this older version.

2019 model = over R30k (somewhere between R30 - R40k)

A R6k investment doesn't seem that bad... hell there is nothing wrong with my frame even and I'd do it!

PS. Anyone that wants to buy my frame PM me  :thumbup: