If You Only Had 30-40 Minutes...

AlanD

I was up 5 times last night between the two girls, so in such a case I rather take two nights off to semi-recover on the sleep deprivation before doing another session. No use in getting up an hour early if you only slept 5 hours.

Oh man, I am so glad I am not alone. Had big plans of going to spin this morning after a nice ride yesterday afternoon.

Between the 1 year old's teething and the 3 year old's ear infection, we didn't get much sleep last night...still need to get fitter through all the sleepless nights and all the rest in between.

Following this thread with a keen eye

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched a really cool motivational 6 minute vid by Arnie on training the other day and I got 3 main takeaways from it.

1. We waste an inordinate amount of time doing arb things like watching TV. Look at your day and see how much time you spend doing nothing in front of that box. If that doesn't work then sleep faster. Arnies words not mine. hehe. 

2. Find a motivator. Then set a main achievable measurable goal and then set micro goals to help you achieve your main goal. I set a goal of 5200km for the year in Jan. And a weekly goal of 100km Duh. So far I'm 10 weeks ahead of my goal. My motivation was massively high cholesterol and being gatvol of being the most unfit dude in my riding crew. 

3. This is the main one. Enjoy the process. If you don't enjoy the process you're unlikely to get the result you are after. Yes no one enjoys kukking doing intervals as such but you can enjoy the fact that you are getting stronger while your mates are doing nothing. You can revel in the sweat and you can gain confidence in that you can go into the red without having a heart attack. Or that you are getting that much closer to your goal. Arnie reckoned he was always smiling in the gym while the other guys were frowning cos he knew every rep was getting him closer to his goal.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I watched a really cool motivational 6 minute vid by Arnie on training the other day and I got 3 main takeaways from it.

1. We waste an inordinate amount of time doing arb things like watching TV. Look at your day and see how much time you spend doing nothing in front of that box. If that doesn't work then sleep faster. Arnies words not mine. hehe.

2. Find a motivator. Then set a main achievable measurable goal and then set micro goals to help you achieve your main goal. I set a goal of 5200km for the year in Jan. And a weekly goal of 100km Duh. So far I'm 10 weeks ahead of my goal. My motivation was massively high cholesterol and being gatvol of being the most unfit dude in my riding crew.

3. This is the main one. Enjoy the process. If you don't enjoy the process you're unlikely to get the result you are after. Yes no one enjoys kukking doing intervals as such but you can enjoy the fact that you are getting stronger while your mates are doing nothing. You can revel in the sweat and you can gain confidence in that you can go into the red without having a heart attack. Or that you are getting that much closer to your goal. Arnie reckoned he was always smiling in the gym while the other guys were frowning cos he knew every rep was getting him closer to his goal.

The tv comment is so true. We dont actually watch a large amount of TV, probably an 1hour or so after the girls are in bed. Having said that, it's still a waste of time but also nice to just relax a little before bed.

The tv comment is so true. We dont actually watch a large amount of TV, probably an 1hour or so after the girls are in bed. Having said that, it's still a waste of time but also nice to just relax a little before bed.

Not aimed at you at all. We're all guilty of this. I just happened on the vid the other day and thought it might help.

Not aimed at you at all. We're all guilty of this. I just happened on the vid the other day and thought it might help.

Didnt think it was :). I often think about these things that are a waste of time in most instances and if we could live without them.

Speaking honestly, our household has a problem with Smartphones. They eat up way more time than any TV screen.

Need to lock them in a drawer when we get home or something drastic...

Yesterday was the first day of our new routine. My wife got home at around the 18h00 mark (UK time), I got home about 17h20.

I got the kids bathed, dinner in the oven and then Wife got home to take over.

Got my gear on, and cycles to the local woods (literally less than 5 minutes) and did a few quick pedals up and down a longish, not so steep hill. I didnt make it all the way in one go...lol....so unfit

Then found a nice clearing that had a small bump that I thought I could use as some jumping practice. All I did was slowly roll up to it and tried to nail down the technique by thinking about my body position. Then cycled hard back up and did it again. Did that a few times then cycled as hard as I could back up a short steep hill and back home.

All in all about 40 minutes and I was buggered. Today is the wife's turn to get out for walk/run.

Speaking honestly, our household has a problem with Smartphones. They eat up way more time than any TV screen.

Need to lock them in a drawer when we get home or something drastic...

I tried to instigate something like that. Instigated nothing but unhappiness. For me... I stopped.

I have started running. Twice a week for 30-40 minutes. It has made a difference to my riding (Cardio capacity)

I am a gravity biased weekend warrior that weighs in at around 100kg (which means that I am an overweight MTB'er that only rides on weekends, hates climbing and doesn't mind a bit of downhill single track with the odd topographical bulge).

Carrying around that amount of weight in a pair of running shoes at my age isn't fun but it has made a lot of difference to how much more I enjoy my rides when I get a chance to go out.

For the #enduro guys based in Cape Town. 

There's a great little loop in Higgovale. We call it the Higgo Hussle. There's a bit of flowy single track through a greenbelt and then you pop out and ride up the road back to the top. It's about 700m long in total with about 40m of climb/descent. The top of the trail starts in Glen Ave. At the bottom of the trail you come out on Glen Cres and loop around.

It's a fun place to work on intervals without wanting to kill yourself. Now that summer is approaching go see how many laps you can bust out after work. I did 9 laps last night. I should have done 10 but is had a chat with a dog walker for a bit. There's probably stuff like this all over the place if you open your eyes. I know there's something similar at Conters.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

For the #enduro guys based in Cape Town. 

There's a great little loop in Higgovale. We call it the Higgo Hussle. There's a bit of flowy single track through a greenbelt and then you pop out and ride up the road back to the top. It's about 700m long in total with about 40m of climb/descent. The top of the trail starts in Glen Ave. At the bottom of the trail you come out on Glen Cres and loop around.

It's a fun place to work on intervals without wanting to kill yourself. Now that summer is approaching go see how many laps you can bust out after work. I did 9 laps last night. I should have done 10 but is had a chat with a dog walker for a bit. There's probably stuff like this all over the place if you open your eyes. I know there's something similar at Conters.

Been looking around our neighborhood the last few months for similar stuff. Not necessarily dedicated single track with features but there are a lot of footpaths on peoples verges etc that could be linked together with a bit of tar to make a fun loop in suburbia.

Would be cool if someone could map these "trails". 

I wonder if Trailforks has that facility?

Been looking around our neighborhood the last few months for similar stuff. Not necessarily dedicated single track with features but there are a lot of footpaths on peoples verges etc that could be linked together with a bit of tar to make a fun loop in suburbia.

Would be cool if someone could map these "trails". 

I wonder if Trailforks has that facility?

dont you live in crime town? there is a pipe servitude that runs a behind all the properties ...with a foot path...has some nice hills and drops...if you keen to explore let me know...i also have a few hood loops...just watch out for cars reversing out of driveways when you are using the verges foot paths...and the re-entry back onto the road...i got so bust by the other half (what are the chances that the wife will be driving down the road at the same time you land back on the tar :( )

dont you live in crime town? there is a pipe servitude that runs a behind all the properties ...with a foot path...has some nice hills and drops...if you keen to explore let me know...i also have a few hood loops...just watch out for cars reversing out of driveways when you are using the verges foot paths...and the re-entry back onto the road...i got so bust by the other half (what are the chances that the wife will be driving down the road at the same time you land back on the tar :( )

We used to. We moved to Wetville a year and a half ago. Still need to take a ride around the neighbourhood on my bike to have a look but there are many footpaths visible from the tar. Will definitely keep an eye out for cars exiting the driveways.

I have also started digging in my yard... We have some nice elevation and have managed to sort of map out a little technical course with some off camber turns, a nice little drop with a rock garden as well as some single track through the flower beds. Bit more digging required to try and link them all together. At the moment there is some hike a bike to get back to the top but will make for some fun riding for my son and I once I chop some bush and cut a path so that we can pedal the whole thing. The short sharp climbs will surely get the HR up!