running watch

Stevief

I've got a FR 35. It's a decent little watch, true doesn't have the fancier features but it does the basics very well.

FR35 is awesome. Myself and the wife have. Works well. Doesn't cost a bomb. Very easy to work. I am happy.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife has a Garmin FR 35 and has had no issues with it, and I've had no issues with my 235.

I would recommend TomTom as well, although those watches are apparently not supported in SA anymore.

My wife has a Garmin FR 35 and has had no issues with it, and I've had no issues with my 235.

I would recommend TomTom as well, although those watches are apparently not supported in SA anymore.

TomTom are not supported anywhere anymore. TomTom are pulling out of the wearables market.

Whatever you do, please don't get a Suunto. Garmin is the way to go

Do you work for Garmin?

Do you work for Garmin?

Nope, do you work for Suunto?

If you know how to use a sports watch, and ever used Garmin's software compared to Suunto, you will never look back. Connectivity issues, software data and features is way below par.

Simple things like loading your daily training schedule into your device = non existent. Go have a look at Suunto app's reviews and get back to me

Nope, do you work for Suunto?

If you know how to use a sports watch, and ever used Garmin's software compared to Suunto, you will never look back. Connectivity issues, software data and features is way below par.

Simple things like loading your daily training schedule into your device = non existent. Go have a look at Suunto app's reviews and get back to me

Now there is a useful post. Now the OP can take into consideration the fact that Garmin has a better app and whether that is actually important to him.

I have used both Suunto and Garmin. I agree that the Garmin app is better, but if you consider the prices of those specials, you may well live with the worse app.

Whatever you do, please don't get a Suunto. Garmin is the way to go

LOL!

If you like marketing hype go for Garmin. If you are serious consider something else.  (Eg you can't select a part of your workout on Connect to see the specific details of that part of the run.  Sleep tracking / reporting is rubbish, GPS tracking is below std.   (Yes there are some nice features eg Incident Reporting and LT though.)

Also page through Garmin Forums https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/ to get an idea of typical issues.

Polar (even the M430 is still a great watch), Suunto (5 esp), etc etc.  Also check the warranty of each product. 

*I have owned Polar M400/M430/ (Vantage M in the family), Suunto Spartan T/Ambit3, TomTom Runner (BEST GPS tracking of all!), and I am currently using a Forerunner 645.

I'm not impressed with the Garmin 30/35. From what I have seen, and I have a few friends with them, the tracking is pretty poor. It looks like you were running while badly hungover.

Here's my Amazfit Stratos compared to a friend's FR35 while running together. Zoomed into our run on Strava.

post-57055-0-81022100-1565776731_thumb.jpeg

Do all these watches record the trip ?

Would like the daughter to have a watch that after we have been for a walk and we get home she can see where she has been. Possibly even for a ride round the neighbourhood.

It can be real basic - does not even need a HR strap (she is only 9)

LOL!

If you like marketing hype go for Garmin. If you are serious consider something else.  (Eg you can't select a part of your workout on Connect to see the specific details of that part of the run.  Sleep tracking / reporting is rubbish, GPS tracking is below std.   (Yes there are some nice features eg Incident Reporting and LT though.)

Also page through Garmin Forums https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/ to get an idea of typical issues.

Polar (even the M430 is still a great watch), Suunto (5 esp), etc etc.  Also check the warranty of each product. 

*I have owned Polar M400/M430/ (Vantage M in the family), Suunto Spartan T/Ambit3, TomTom Runner (BEST GPS tracking of all!), and I am currently using a Forerunner 645.

So after all those you realised garmin is the best option ;)

I'm not impressed with the Garmin 30/35. From what I have seen, and I have a few friends with them, the tracking is pretty poor. It looks like you were running while badly hungover.

Here's my Amazfit Stratos compared to a friend's FR35 while running together. Zoomed into our run on Strava.

attachicon.gifgggg.jpeg

Who looks at that kind of info, does it affect the actual data (distance / time / speed / elevation)?

I've seen DC Rainmaker do this in his tests, but unless you are trying to draw images (think of hearts  :wub: for your secret strava followers), why would you pay attention to this?

Edited by SwissVan

So after all those you realised garmin is the best option ;)

After many years I though to test the 'marketing hype' first hand but alas - I am now stuck with it.  (Will also be getting my 4th unit in under a year - all warranty replacements)  

Strava does it own thing with the data.. So youve added another dimension to the whole thing. That said... My tracks from my Garmin are spot on

2aeebd5217194400cb862083c7f984da.jpg

Edited by Stretch