How apartheid killed Johannesburg's cycling culture

Simon Kolin

The biggest crime black people did is to expect other people to educate their own children 

Fixed.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You thought all that AND wrote all that with serious FOMO and snot (which was green) dripping out your nose, while in a dischem que.

Are you sure this was before or after the defcon 5 antibiotics?

Ha ha ... no I wrote it at home sitting in bed eating cheap carbs and on a cortisone buzz.

You thought all that AND wrote all that with serious FOMO and snot (which was green) dripping out your nose, while in a dischem que.

Are you sure this was before or after the defcon 5 antibiotics?

I read this and think it says far more about you than 'black people' 

Roundly sums up Mamil's earlier post above. 

I am genuinely too scared to ask arendoog what he would consider the "biggest crime white people did"?

Ha ha ... no I wrote it at home sitting in bed eating cheap carbs and on a cortisone buzz.

For health, obviously!

I am genuinely too scared to ask arendoog what he would consider the "biggest crime white people did"?

I think you need to keep it within context of this thread, and the ability to pass on ideologies through the generations. Or at least thats what I'm taking it as(!) oops. Education begins at home - with the 'intangibles', not 1 + 1 obviously, but how you develop as an emotional being. If you don't ensure your child is appropriately 'educated' you're not setting them up for success (especially) in a rapidly changing society.

I told you EARLIER!

The biggest crime ..... e-bikes :ph34r:

I told you EARLIER!

The biggest crime ..... e-bikes :ph34r:

Haha! I can already see the thread on the hub in 70 years time

"How ebikes killed Johannesburg's cycling culture"

Native Urban Act of 1923 and Group Areas Act of 1950 are 2 completely different things IceCreamMan - one was used for mass forced relocations the other not. Maybe I'm not the only one who should do a bit of research?

Yes Alexandra and Soweto were created before 1950. That doesn't mean they were the result of mass relocations or that all blacks lived exclusively there. Sophiatown had 60,000 residents so I guess "relative small area" is a relative term. And again, that one photo is not the foundation of the article so where exactly the people are cycling from is neither here nor there.

Sorry, you are wrong, people were being forcibly relocated long before 1940 and under the native areas act of 1923 and even prior to this even before any official acts ppl were already being forcibly removed. The natives land act predates this and already restricted ownership of land. In the very early 1900's ppl of colour were being moved out of the city areas.

So prior to Nats power ppl were already segregated or being forcibly moved, do you really believe that prior to the Nats coming into power and the term apartheid being used all races lived in harmony and sang kumbaya …

The ANC was started before WW1 due to injustices. AAMOI.

but I see the discussion has taken many twists and turns and the original subjext seems to be lost in the mists of posts. Its important that all views are aired and ppl are understood as to why. Payment of services is a fundamental, education is too. Traffic in jhb is a mess and drivers are complete assholes, maybe due to the current lax attitude to law enforcement or the art of bribery, who knows.

Sorry, you are wrong, people were being forcibly relocated long before 1940 and under the native areas act of 1923 and even prior to this even before any official acts ppl were already being forcibly removed. The natives land act predates this and already restricted ownership of land. In the very early 1900's ppl of colour were being moved out of the city areas.

So prior to Nats power ppl were already segregated or being forcibly moved, do you really believe that prior to the Nats coming into power and the term apartheid being used all races lived in harmony and sang kumbaya …

The ANC was started before WW1 due to injustices. AAMOI.

but I see the discussion has taken many twists and turns and the original subjext seems to be lost in the mists of posts. Its important that all views are aired and ppl are understood as to why. Payment of services is a fundamental, education is too. Traffic in jhb is a mess and drivers are complete assholes, maybe due to the current lax attitude to law enforcement or the art of bribery, who knows.

I think at this point the discussion has moved on so I'll save thehub further boring debates on 1923 laws for another time... It was interesting for me though, hope you have a great weekend 

And then those that think we should stop blaming apartheid... That's not your decision to make. We will decide when the drum is broken,of die ding is nou holrug gery. Your rights to apartheid has been revoked in 94 already...

Lekker trap

You know, you are absolutely correct. Take all the time you need.

Just one thing, you cannot move forward until you stop blaming it and you will be subjected to it until you stop blaming it. That’s a burden I do not envy you of.

Favoring a certain group due to race is abhorrent, laws designed to favour a race group completely unacceptable, we all agree. Yet we happily subject ourselves to it or allow it, or even vehemently defend it in the form of AA and the like.

Fark, if I was an all-powerful, omnipotent being, I would have created a hotter Eve than that. Suppose it was his first attempt and he only hit peak hotness 6000 years and x billion women later.

She's an Ethiopian albino (according to estimates on where the Garden of Eden was situated).

That would only cater for a very small percentage of what guys would consider to be a "hot binnet" on the planet.

Sit down with a cuppa and have a break watching this

*Disclaimer, the video does not necessarily represent the views of the poster

https://youtu.be/CBMretoTFJg

Ted has over 20 million subs on Youtube. Yet so few people have actually seen this video. Or rather. Chosen not to watch it. Why is that? 

There is a word. I cannot for the life of me remember it. And google is no help either. It is loosely defined as: 'Makes sense when you first hear it. Enough not to bother digging any deeper. But when you dig. And really think about it. It doesn't sound right at all.'

I want to say sophistry but its not that, although closely related. Sophistry usually implies the use of clever arguments with the intention to mislead or carefully selecting observable truths to justify a false narrative. And no its not an Escher phrase either.

Anyways. Now you might watch that video and think. 'mmh, that's neat. But Skollie, Where are all the ships?' Well I'd argue that Africa is *** big. At least compared to Europe. And Europe also has a much longer coastline too. My theory is that back in the day Africans were like: 'Hey lets go see whats behind that mountain over there.' Then when they got there another guy would say: 'Hey lets go see what behind that mountain over there.' Meanwhile in Europe. They were like: 'Your highness. We have been everywhere. There is water all around us. We might have to swim to find other lands.

**** that Dartaniel. You better think of something.' 

Edited by popcorn_skollie

Nice video. I hope it's not toxic masculinity to say that I fell in love with her a little bit.

https://youtu.be/CBMretoTFJg

Ted has over 20 million subs on Youtube. Yet so few people have actually seen this video. Or rather. Chosen not to watch it. Why is that? 

There is a word. I cannot for the life of me remember it. And google is no help either. It is loosely defined as: 'Makes sense when you first hear it. Enough not to bother digging any deeper. But when you dig. And really think about it. It doesn't sound right at all.'

I want to say sophistry but its not that, although closely related. Sophistry usually implies the use of clever arguments with the intention to mislead or carefully selecting observable truths to justify a false narrative. And no its not an Escher phrase either.

Anyways. Now you might watch that video and think. 'mmh, that's neat. But Skollie, Where are all the ships?' Well I'd argue that Africa is *** big. At least compared to Europe. And Europe also has a much longer coastline too. My theory is that back in the day Africans were like: 'Hey lets go see whats behind that mountain over there.' Then when they got there another guy would say: 'Hey lets go see what behind that mountain over there.' Meanwhile in Europe. They were like: 'Your highness. We have been everywhere. There is water all around us. We might have to swim to find other lands.

**** that Dartaniel. You better think of something.'

The biggest crime black people did is to expect other people to educate their own children

Wow, reading through this thread I have read some well articulated and insightful thoughts

And I have read some some insulting drivel...