Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those that entered using the pnp smart shopper have you received any further details yet ?

On twitter they said we would receive emails this week

Those that entered using the pnp smart shopper have you received any further details yet ?

On twitter they said we would receive emails this week

Just received an email with a link. Three or four clicks later, skipping the thousand and one merchandise options, and you are done.

I've come to the conclusion that I have not approached my past Cycle Tours the right way: I should have done a bike build for every new Tour, roughly like I did for Eroica SA. I could have had a pretty cool bike collection by now! ;)

I've never owned a road bike and still don't..was also thinking of starting a build and have it complete just in time for one or two training rides before the Cycle Tour

I've never owned a road bike and still don't..was also thinking of starting a build and have it complete just in time for one or two training rides before the Cycle Tour

Do it

I did this last year, a car park test, one 20km flat ride and the CTCT on my Colnago master the next day

Probably not smart but I don't claim to be

Do it

I did this last year, a car park test, one 20km flat ride and the CTCT on my Colnago master the next day

Probably not smart but I don't claim to be

Dunno...sounds like a sound 2 day training plan????....

Will there be a MTB challenge next year? Can’t find anything on their website

Covered in the MTB Challenge thread:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/180695-event-cape-town-cycle-tour-mtb-challenge-2019/page-5

I mailed Jo at PPA about CTCT MTB 2020.

The reply was that it is scheduled for April and they are busy confirming the venue and final date.

Edited by piotter

So seeing as the Comrades entries opened up yesterday, I had a look at the entry price to participate, as well as how quick they got to the number of entries (by this morning they were already over 20k).

So for a new entry (which include the chip), you looking at R800, and that is for a local, with the internationals needing to pay R3800+ 

Now I understand it is different (running vs riding), which impacts on the waterpoints, medical, organisation, two cities, etc.  But still found it interesting that for the participants they still willing to pay that and make their way to Durban (where I suspect without facts that there is a larger % of out of towners coming to do the race than the CTCT)

Then again, the run will probably not be as affected by weather and protests as the cycle race is expose to, so you probably more assured that it will happen.

So seeing as the Comrades entries opened up yesterday, I had a look at the entry price to participate, as well as how quick they got to the number of entries (by this morning they were already over 20k).

So for a new entry (which include the chip), you looking at R800, and that is for a local, with the internationals needing to pay R3800+

Now I understand it is different (running vs riding), which impacts on the waterpoints, medical, organisation, two cities, etc. But still found it interesting that for the participants they still willing to pay that and make their way to Durban (where I suspect without facts that there is a larger % of out of towners coming to do the race than the CTCT)

Then again, the run will probably not be as affected by weather and protests as the cycle race is expose to, so you probably more assured that it will happen.

Probably easier carrying your takkies with you than your entire bicycle setup

Lol

Probably easier carrying your takkies with you than your entire bicycle setup

Lol

good point ;-) And you do get value for money from a time on the road perspective 

Now I understand it is different (running vs riding), which impacts on the waterpoints, medical, organisation, two cities, etc.  But still found it interesting that for the participants they still willing to pay that and make their way to Durban (where I suspect without facts that there is a larger % of out of towners coming to do the race than the CTCT)

there is a little more dedication to running the comrades than CTCT.

The runner would have been training for probably a year leading up to the event, so not entering because of cost kinda makes it pointless.

Also getting to PMB or DBN is alot quicker than CPT. So much easier to pop down the afternoon before and get back up to GP after the race.

there is a little more dedication to running the comrades than CTCT.

The runner would have been training for probably a year leading up to the event, so not entering because of cost kinda makes it pointless.

Also getting to PMB or DBN is alot quicker than CPT. So much easier to pop down the afternoon before and get back up to GP after the race.

And to your point much easier to have a bus full of runners coming down to run, than bus with bikes at the back

I think also the water restrictions puts off people and accommodation is massively expensive here in Cape Town

I live here but wouldnt be able to afford accommodation here for a weekend