2019 Amashova

Wannabe

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure the organisers aren't reading this, but for posterity sake, here is feedback from someone who abandoned.

1) Start times are frikken stupid. Why does every distance except the 100km start at 5 am? The 35km/65 km people could start later if they are worried about the elite/pro people coming past. Elites / Pros tend to do wway under 3 hrs so start the 65km people from 6:30 and the 35km people at 7:30 and then everyone gets to finish before the mid day sun.

2) Water points should be WAY more frequent. If the 947 can have a water table every 10km or so, then why the 25km between water points on the Shova?

3) A little bit of training on bike handling for the people in the sweeper trucks. I put on new bar tape before the race and it is now a mangled mess. No clue how to add an image to this post so cant show the bars now, but the entire left side is a ground up mess, I even have a few deep gouges in my bars themselves.

That is about all I can think of. I gave up at the Harrison Flats water point after having my heartrate sitting over max for more than 15 minutes, feeling seriously light headed and just generally like I was about to collapse, I knew I would not make it up drummond / Bothas so threw in the towel. Sadly I then lost my Garmin as well so cannot even upload my completed portion of the route to see how badly I actually did.

My main take away from the Shova this year is that it was really badly organised, Some people were being let through at the closure points, water tables ran out of things that should have been extra stocked due to the heat that they knew about at least the day before if not on Friday already ( I received warning messages on Saturday already that there was a warning of extreme heat). The 160km people didnt see a water point until around 80+ km into their ride. I gave half a bottle to one of the 160km people who was seriously suffering.

FriedPiggy - are you a regular road rider? How much training have you done this year? Average number of hours in the saddle per week?

Just interested to see if you were ready for the event or not.

A lot of people are blaming the organizers but they are the same people who started the 106km with one small water bottle and had not trained to race 106km.

I started in EL and there was not a single issue on the route. Plenty of water and good vibes.

Pretty sure the organisers aren't reading this, but for posterity sake, here is feedback from someone who abandoned.

I think the 160 km on the same day at the 106 is not a good idea. Every event I have ever done, if there is extreme heat the tables always run out of water.

1) Start times are frikken stupid. Why does every distance except the 100km start at 5 am? The 35km/65 km people could start later if they are worried about the elite/pro people coming past. Elites / Pros tend to do wway under 3 hrs so start the 65km people from 6:30 and the 35km people at 7:30 and then everyone gets to finish before the mid day sun.

2) Water points should be WAY more frequent. If the 947 can have a water table every 10km or so, then why the 25km between water points on the Shova?

3) A little bit of training on bike handling for the people in the sweeper trucks. I put on new bar tape before the race and it is now a mangled mess. No clue how to add an image to this post so cant show the bars now, but the entire left side is a ground up mess, I even have a few deep gouges in my bars themselves.

That is about all I can think of. I gave up at the Harrison Flats water point after having my heartrate sitting over max for more than 15 minutes, feeling seriously light headed and just generally like I was about to collapse, I knew I would not make it up drummond / Bothas so threw in the towel. Sadly I then lost my Garmin as well so cannot even upload my completed portion of the route to see how badly I actually did.

My main take away from the Shova this year is that it was really badly organised, Some people were being let through at the closure points, water tables ran out of things that should have been extra stocked due to the heat that they knew about at least the day before if not on Friday already ( I received warning messages on Saturday already that there was a warning of extreme heat). The 160km people didnt see a water point until around 80+ km into their ride. I gave half a bottle to one of the 160km people who was seriously suffering.

Interesting comments,

But just my views so flame me if you want. (there has been a similar topic but regarding more race orientated events)

1. No idea, so you may have a point here.

2. Why would a person need a water table at all in a 100km race/funride, and on a 160km Race (that is what it is) maybe one would suffice. Surely a person would have done training on the distances and know how much to start with. And on a road race /funride every 25km should be maximum every 30 to 50 minutes. That should be covered with two bottles if you have to stop

3. They should not be needed, but if they are used they are typically in a hurry so you bare the consequences. There was the same moan about the sweeping at the K2C this year.

I think the biggest problem is this participation medal mentality that everyone has. Hopefully people start to learn that cycling is hard and only enter events if they have trained and can do the events.

Anyway that is just the ramblings of an old codger.

I think the biggest problem is this participation medal mentality that everyone has. Hopefully people start to learn that cycling is hard and only enter events if they have trained and can do the events.

Spot on !

Agreed.

Swap out to one of the shorter distances if you want to participate but you are unsure of whether you will be able to survive the conditions on the day (Hot/Wind/Rain) given your fitness and other factors.

Does anybody know whether it is a major problem if you registered for the 106km and you decide to rather rock up at the 65km or 35km startline...? Should be allowed no-questions asked I would think, much like you dropping back in the start groups...?

I started in batch EL with two water bottles and did not need to stop at any water tables at all - in fact, I only drank one of my bottles. Proper training makes a huge difference!

I drank two bottles of water while waiting at the start pen though.

Edited by Neville Bailey

I started in batch EL with two water bottles and did not need to stop at any water tables at all - in fact, I only drank one of my bottles. Proper training makes a huge difference!

I drank two bottles of water while waiting at the start pen though.

One of the most important things for me is to take an extra old water bottle along to the start pens, I finish it and discard it there before the start... then the two bottles on my bike easily lasts the entire duration of 3 hours.

Agreed.

Swap out to one of the shorter distances if you want to participate but you are unsure of whether you will be able to survive the conditions on the day (Hot/Wind/Rain) given your fitness and other factors.

Does anybody know whether it is a major problem if you registered for the 106km and you decide to rather rock up at the 65km or 35km startline...? Should be allowed no-questions asked I would think, much like you dropping back in the start groups...?

you can do it at registration, not too sure about on the day itself. But in anycase if you not too concerned about having a time recorded on racetec then it would be fine and you will still get your medal !

Bought my first bike Feb 2018 and this was my first Amashova and had a blast! Sure, I started in HL and only managed 4 hours but had a great day out. It was hot but manageable. Took two water bottles, stopped at 54km for a good drink and refill and that was it. Thought it was reasonably organised but running out of water - especially on a day like yesterday - is an utter disgrace on the part of the organisers.

Crash in B.. 3 team bionic went down just before the last water point... please update if you guys know them or get info...

Yes please guys any update on this. It looked really bad. When I went past which must've been shortly after it happened there was a guy lying face down motionless on the road Marshals were directing traffic around him but no-one was assisting him. I'm not religious but was praying for the last 10km that he was ok.

One of the most important things for me is to take an extra old water bottle along to the start pens, I finish it and discard it there before the start... then the two bottles on my bike easily lasts the entire duration of 3 hours.

I do the same, basically start with a 100% full set of bottles. Never needed to stop, however my 2 bottles are empty at the 100km mark. 80km for the 160km, I don't see an issue here.

Preparation or not, Shova is a shockingly badly organised event for the money you pay.

Been like this for years now.