CRC was one online bike shop that started the concept. They were registered as an OEM. Had a few house brand frames they bought from China so they received OEM pricing from the distribution centre in EU. Being online and the first mover they achieved EU and global reach in a short space of time. i First bought form them in 2001. 

I think there was a few people in SA doing something similar to what CWC was doing.

It is a very clever way of getting things to market at competitive prices.

I remember buying a few 'build kits' from Omnico for cheap cheap. Warranty frames where the bike was stripped. I think I got full build spec plus 100mm Lefty, wheels, brakes alles to build a full bike onto a frame for under 13k.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So in a nutshell, the consensus is to find an alternative, better LBS than CWC, who although they used to be the jewel in the crown for LBS in Cape Town, and possibly SA, have ceased to shine in latter times due to poor service and poor product offering?

The last time I walked into that store, I did 2 laps, wanting to buy a new lid, and getting the cold shoulder from the "sales" staff, I declined to buy anything and drove to Evo down the road. I have not looked back since.

Every time a thread such as this surfaces, I ask myself why people still buy there?

Glad I ride SRAM only

My Eagle XO is possibly the worst groupset I have ever had.  Fussier than a millenial in a Starbucks.   Luckily it's my last SRAM rubbish.

My Eagle XO is possibly the worst groupset I have ever had.  Fussier than a millenial in a Starbucks.   Luckily it's my last SRAM rubbish.

not just a setup issue?

I have used GX for a little while now and it has never performed "always performed perfectly" perfectly ... granted this is still 11spd I am rocking.

Typo struck out and edit in italics and underlined

Edited by Hairy

Sorry, did I miss something

Wondering if I missed something too.

Like has the relationship between CWC and Coolheat been restored now that Cyclelab has taken over?  Or is there still some bad blood.  They had a fallout about the Tacx agency and imports too, if I remember correctly.

Ive been out of the loop for a while so dont know.

But years ago any Shimano stuff that got sent in from CWC to Coolheat for warranty got sent straight back with a "sort our your own warranty on stuff you did not acquire through us" type of a message.

Been riding XO Eagle for +3 years - not a day's issue. Bulletproof in my eyes.

I suspect you are suffering set up issues. I’ve set up many eagle 12speed drive trains and all work flawlessly. Where I have seen problems and corrected was mostly when the lbs fitted a chain that is too short.

not just a setup issue?

I have used GX for a little while now and it has never performed perfectly ... granted this is still 11spd I am rocking.

GX is SUPER critical on setup !!!!

Mine worked GOOD !! Had an oooops moment on a trail, and it started "grinding" between 2 or 3 gears" .... no ways I could get rid of it, at best I would move the grind up or down a few at a time ....

Took it ti Marks Workshop.  They did their magic and it WORKS perfectly again.

Let's not kid ourselves.  To fit 12 gears into the space where or 9 or 10 lived previously makes for super fine tolerances !!  and that on bikes that live on trails ....

Mine worked GOOD !! Had an oooops moment on a trail, and it started "grinding" between 2 or 3 gears" .... no ways I could get rid of it, at best I would move the grind up or down a few at a time ....

Let's not kid ourselves.  To fit 12 gears into the space where or 9 or 10 lived previously makes for super fine tolerances !!  and that on bikes that live on trails ....

A bent hanger will bring havoc to your life with any 12speed system. Shimano is not immune.

that said I've dialed out misalignment on the trail quite quickly and easily. Its such a simple system that ts hard to get wrong. the biggest challenge out on the trail is most people tend to stand over the bike and turn the tension adjust on the shifter. In so doing they cannot see where the upper guide pulley is in relation to the sprocket its hanging underneath. this almost always causes misalignment. its preferable to have a buddy turn the tumbler while you sit behind the bike and eyeball the upper guide pulley alignment to the sprocket

A bent hanger will bring havoc to your life with any 12speed system. Shimano is not immune.

that said I've dialed out misalignment on the trail quite quickly and easily. Its such a simple system that ts hard to get wrong. the biggest challenge out on the trail is most people tend to stand over the bike and turn the tension adjust on the shifter. In so doing they cannot see where the upper guide pulley is in relation to the sprocket its hanging underneath. this almost always causes misalignment. its preferable to have a buddy turn the tumbler while you sit behind the bike and eyeball the upper guide pulley alignment to the sprocket

Ive found it much easier to keep peddling and adjust while riding. Especially if you are busy with a race or out on your own.

One click at a time.

If you have gone 3 clicks and the sound is getting worse, you know its only 3 clicks back to your starting point, then go the other way, one click at a time.

It is almost never one full turn.  Easy does it.

Ive found it much easier to keep peddling and adjust while riding. Especially if you are busy with a race or out on your own.

One click at a time.

If you have gone 3 clicks and the sound is getting worse, you know its only 3 clicks back to your starting point, then go the other way, one click at a time.

It is almost never one full turn.  Easy does it.

Thats great advice

Flip ... TYPO of note .. was meant to read "always performed perfectly"

Previous post edited 

Edited by Hairy