Cape Epic or Bikepacking in Europe?

Mark62

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No man, do it properly, couldn't you find a photo of a Joey riding a Scalpel or Santa Cruz? Or whatever the yuppies ride these days.

The problem with a pic of a yuppie on a superbike is that they 'look' like pro's to the naked eye mostly....(all the money and no clue).

I purposefully looked for a pic of a middle aged/mildly-overweight-but-fit man in lycra. (75% of epic demographic?  :lol: ).

On closer inspection he is on a boutique brand machine WEAPON anyway (Yeti)    :D

EDIT: Sorry...dbl post

Edited by morneS555

I'm 100% sure that my tough isn't anywhere near Guy's tough.... but that's why I'm asking him. And knowing his AR & megamarathon pursuits, he has a fair amount of cement hanging in those limbs of his!

If I were to vote, I'd probably go with Munga. The level of mental toughness to endure that must be huge. 

Surely Freedom challenge where you are not only cycling a massive distance and chasing hours fighting sleep monsters, but you are doing it all while reading a map. The mental game to not only push but to keep track of where you are on a map is pretty tricky

Surely Freedom challenge where you are not only cycling a massive distance and chasing hours fighting sleep monsters, but you are doing it all while reading a map. The mental game to not only push but to keep track of where you are on a map is pretty tricky

Hadn't considered that, but right you are. 

RASA/Freedom Challenge.. Hands down. It's on another level.

He said RACE !!!

Not walk and get lost and get cold and get warm and ride and hike and get cold and get lost and get found and then walk and then ride and then get lost again.

Rad. What makes it the toughest, in your opinion? 

The cold. The constant stop start of climbing over gates, making sure you're on track... River crossings. The Cold. 

It is relentless. The portaging is actually a nice break sometimes. It is a defining race with no fanfare. 

If you tour you will ride for 22 days, some of those dark to dark. That is 3 Epics in a row.

If you 'race' you will ride 20 to 40 hours at a time without sleep. 

I think the fact that most RASA riders are humble and compassionate shows you what type of people ride and finish the race. The stark comparison to the Epic bra personality is polarizing.

The cold. The constant stop start of climbing over gates, making sure you're on track... River crossings. The Cold. 

It is relentless. The portaging is actually a nice break sometimes. It is a defining race with no fanfare. 

If you tour you will ride for 22 days, some of those dark to dark. That is 3 Epics in a row.

If you 'race' you will ride 20 to 40 hours at a time without sleep. 

I think the fact that most RASA riders are humble and compassionate shows you what type of people ride and finish the race. The stark comparison to the Epic bra personality is polarizing.

This. So much this. 

And thanks for the info. Trying to do my own HTFU for the enduro in october... And that's piddlesticks by comparison...  :w00t:

This. So much this. 

And thanks for the info. Trying to do my own HTFU for the enduro in october... And that's piddlesticks by comparison...  :w00t:

hahaha That Enduro will only hurt for an hour or two and the stokedness of the radness will far outweigh the last 2 big climbs.

Don't overthink it. Just ride what's in front of you when it's in front of you. 

hahaha That Enduro will only hurt for an hour or two and the stokedness of the radness will far outweigh the last 2 big climbs.

Don't overthink it. Just ride what's in front of you when it's in front of you. 

At least the climbs are pretty.... :P

And 100% agreed. New tyre day for the back. Mary is okay, but DHR I reckon will roll a bit better. And it's new. And matchy matchy maxxis etc. 

but in answer to the OP - on a one-or-the-other basis, with Epic on teh one hand and a 4 month Euro tour on the other, there's one that would win hands down. And it's not the one that gives you a kiff sticker with a -1 or -2 at the end. 

Euro tour without a shadow of a doubt. 

You don't read too well, do you nevermore...

Bra ive got 20 people bluffing to me at once, I aint reading through all that shiz

I think the real answer to OP's question is this: neither! Pay Jewbacca to follow him on one of his usual training weeks. That way you'll be out on the bike for 7hrs a day, run 4 half marathons run, criss-cross Table Mountain multiple times and rack up a total of 8558km and 14053m of ascent in a couple of days.