Have you bikepacked Europe?

JW is quite busy at the moment with a short bike tour in Spain

post-182-0-49137100-1567509119_thumb.png

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikepacking hands down , Duane we may pass each other in December wife and I are riding from Sevilla to Barcelona in December

If you can include it, a bit inland I know, but the road climb up to the monastery at Montserrat is SUPENDOUS! :thumbup:

Our plan is to go via Montserrat can't wait should be a good adventure on a tandem :)

There is a restaurant at the monastery where you can get a good coffee and a meal. The views are something else. 

I think most human thinking is binary (That's an insult btw)

If I say do a Euro trip rather there's an immediate assumption that I think the Epic sucks. Then the inevitable question of Have you done it pops out to invalidate my opinion.

I could of course reply with Have you ridden Monte Grappa, Joux Plane YES, Sa CalobraYES? Have you done 8800m of descending in  single day YES ? Have you seen Mont Blanc from a charlift YES? Have you ridden to the light house at Cap Formentor on MallorcaNope but did almost all the rest of the island ;)? But that would also be binary

The one doesn't invalidate the other. We don't all drive Toyota Carolla's. Why must we all squeeze into a narrow stereotype of what riding is? It's Binary (Stupid)

:devil:  :clap:

Thanks DJR looking forward to this , last year we did Netherlands on the tandem , this Year June I rode Trieste Italy down to Split Croatia lekker off road route

Sorry about the late reply and creating angst but I'm in Europe at some small bike race in Spain trying to help a 20yr old finish high up on GC.

To answer the question it is yes, I have, had a small knee issue and mostly it was honestly not what I enjoyed and left with mid way. Not what I thought. But that's me and more than likely opposite of you, but that is what makes us all different.

But I dont understand why if I have or haven't done it qualifies me to give a educated answer on the topic??

I have subsequently been lucky enough to do Swiss epic last year with a athlete and friend, I will say it was to date the best event I have ever done, hard, amazing and all that. I wanted to go back this year but work didn't allow.

I have also been Lucky enough to ride my bike all over Europe - pyrenees, alps, Spain etc etc. For me it trumps riding around the cape and falling short of getting a Cape Epic tattoo on my leg.

I hope this has answered your question and you can no rest well knowing that you are possibly a level above me on being hard for doing the cape epic or 3.

So my question is: Have you ridden around Europe? Alps? Pyrenees? Girona? Sierra Nevada or just cape epic?

Cheers all

Ah. I see, thanks for the reply, allow me to explain my thoughts.(opinions of course)(but with merits of course;) )

1st off : you did the epic in 2008 when we still did the karoo2coast for 7 days in a row, and the cherry on the cake, you did not even finish the race.. The Epic is now a world class event where the best of the best -Amateurs and Professionals alike come together. It has evolved into something beyond most and any one and I mean anyone who has ridden this year respects the race, why, cause its such a massive privilege to be there.

So with all due respect sir, you have no idea what you're talking about. You haven't been there, you don't know, you're not one of us. Its just as well I do the Dakar(Also the top of that sport, also not affordable) and I get that one 3rd of the crowd barking about soutpanne, 4x4 rides in the dunes and extreme days in Botswana, people should stop doing that ****, why, cause u sound like an idiot

Backpacking or cycling in Europe should NEVER be compared with competing in the pinnacle of any sport, thats a holiday.. And yes i have cycled and raced in Europe, PLENTY, is it nice, ofcourse its nice, its more than nice, but again it should not be compared to the toughest mountain bike race in the world.

And please don't come with that “ You love and worship the epic with a epic tatoo on your leg BS” I dont give a **** about the epic, but i know u do, so please put your money where your mouth is and saddle up, judging from your profile pic you seem to think youre important, so maybe they'll give u a free entry.

Why are you being trolled slightly harder than your fellow hubber? Cause every-time their is a discussion on anything epic you give your strong negative opinion, ja ive noticed, thanks to that weird ass profile pic of yours(no offense bud)

You as a professional should lead cyclists towards the epic, not steer them away, your opinion on the epic makes you sound unprofessional.

Adios Amego.

O crap, almost forgot about the OP, theres a time for glory and theirs a time for holiday, each has its place. Depends on where you are in life, either way, you are so privileged to be in a position to choose, enjoy!

Edited by Nevermore

I presume you feel a lot better having got that off your chest considering you

Waited a few days for my reply.

I’m not going to respond in detail cause it will be pointless but there is so much pooh in that post it’s scary. You contradict yourself also by claiming to know a lot about me in the post but then say you don’t later by looking at my profile picture. Which one is it?

“You not 1 of us”

That’s pretty much telling on how you see yourself and all I need to know.

Part of my job I think is to help people enjoy their bikes, if that means suggesting to go ride around Europe, so be It.

Edited by J Wakefield

I presume you feel a lot better having got that off your chest considering you

Waited a few days for my reply.

I’m not going to respond in detail cause it will be pointless but there is so much pooh in that post it’s scary. You contradict yourself also by claiming to know a lot about me in the post but then say you don’t later by looking at my profile picture. Which one is it?

“You not 1 of us”

That’s pretty much telling on how you see yourself and all I need to know.

Part of my job I think is to help people enjoy their bikes, if that means suggesting to go ride around Europe, so be It.

Ja ja, the youre not one of us part was a bit excessive, but that part is not about me, its about people like you slanting the race with no merit. U took a big one on the chin doc, took it with some class, good on u.

Lol this is gold.

With all due respect then goes on with massive disrespect.[/quote

Pure gold man, PURE GOLD

Ja ja, the youre not one of us part was a bit excessive, but that part is not about me, its about people like you slanting the race with no merit. U took a big one on the chin doc, took it with some class, good on u.

It came across as condescending and overly aggressive. At least that is how I experienced it on an empty stomach.

It came across as condescending and overly aggressive. At least that is how I experienced it on an empty stomach.

IMTG? Or just not yet breakfast time?