Cape Epic or Bikepacking in Europe?

Mark62

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It came across as condescending and overly aggressive. At least that is how I experienced it on an empty stomach.

You're over reacting . Just enjoy the debate and be entertained. This is better than most of the rubbish I have to read on BH these days.

Ah. I see, thanks for the reply, allow me to explain my thoughts.(opinions of course)(but with merits of course;) )

1st off : you did the epic in 2008 when we still did the karoo2coast for 7 days in a row, and the cherry on the cake, you did not even finish the race.. The Epic is now a world class event where the best of the best -Amateurs and Professionals alike come together. It has evolved into something beyond most and any one and I mean anyone who has ridden this year respects the race, why, cause its such a massive privilege to be there.

So with all due respect sir, you have no idea what you're talking about. You haven't been there, you don't know, you're not one of us. Its just as well I do the Dakar(Also the top of that sport, also not affordable) and I get that one 3rd of the crowd barking about soutpanne, 4x4 rides in the dunes and extreme days in Botswana, people should stop doing that ****, why, cause u sound like an idiot

Backpacking or cycling in Europe should NEVER be compared with competing in the pinnacle of any sport, thats a holiday.. And yes i have cycled and raced in Europe, PLENTY, is it nice, ofcourse its nice, its more than nice, but again it should not be compared to the toughest mountain bike race in the world.

And please don't come with that “ You love and worship the epic with a epic tatoo on your leg BS” I dont give a **** about the epic, but i know u do, so please put your money where your mouth is and saddle up, judging from your profile pic you seem to think youre important, so maybe they'll give u a free entry.

Why are you being trolled slightly harder than your fellow hubber? Cause every-time their is a discussion on anything epic you give your strong negative opinion, ja ive noticed, thanks to that weird ass profile pic of yours(no offense bud)

You as a professional should lead cyclists towards the epic, not steer them away, your opinion on the epic makes you sound unprofessional.

Adios Amego.

O crap, almost forgot about the OP, theres a time for glory and theirs a time for holiday, each has its place. Depends on where you are in life, either way, you are so privileged to be in a position to choose, enjoy!

So lets put it out there yadda yadda yadda, I have also done the Epic got the T shirt, K2C and short course so what. 

You mention that the "Epic is now a world class event where the best of the best -Amateurs and Professionals alike come together" But if you are not at the pointy end it is just a funride anyway. So what is the difference between that and Bike-packing or going the Transcape?

Thank you for the opportunity to cement this into MTB meme history :D

Henceforth, this will be my standard reply to cape epic related bigotry.

Jaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Hahahaahhahahahahahhaha!!!! Framing this, PURE GOLD! Thx man, made my day

So lets put it out there yadda yadda yadda, I have also done the Epic got the T shirt, K2C and short course so what.

You mention that the "Epic is now a world class event where the best of the best -Amateurs and Professionals alike come together" But if you are not at the pointy end it is just a funride anyway. So what is the difference between that and Bike-packing or going the Transcape?

Sir, I respectively disagree. Example : in 2017 we ended up round about 250GC, which is far from the pointy end, that was the hardest race ive done in my life. The pressure was insane. Bike-packing is a holiday, and ive done Trans Cape which is one of the best events and adventures ive ever been on, highly recommended

Sir, I respectively disagree. Example : in 2017 we ended up round about 250GC, which is far from the pointy end, that was the hardest race ive done in my life. The pressure was insane. Bike-packing is a holiday, and ive done Trans Cape which is one of the best events and adventures ive ever been on, highly recommended

So basically you bike packed through the Cape?

. It has evolved into something beyond most and any one and I mean anyone who has ridden this year respects the race, why, cause its such a massive privilege to be there.

So with all due respect sir, you have no idea what you're talking about. You haven't been there, you don't know, you're not one of us.

O crap, almost forgot about the OP, theres a time for glory and theirs a time for holiday, each has its place.

Doing the Epic is hardly a privilege. That is like saying #blessed every time the payment for your Range Rover goes off.

Finishing the epic doesn't qualify you for glory either. But if you are one of those guys who finds their validation in their ability to do the epic then you probably won't understand why.

Then again, Een man se lelik is 'n ander man se vrou, you can go be a lion at the epic, I'll probably cheer you on from the side, and then go back to planning a real, albeit less glorious adventure.

Thank you for the opportunity to cement this into MTB meme history :D

Henceforth, this will be my standard reply to cape epic related bigotry.

No man, do it properly, couldn't you find a photo of a Joey riding a Scalpel or Santa Cruz? Or whatever the yuppies ride these days.

The Epic is now a world class event where the best of the best -Amateurs and Professionals alike come together. It has evolved into something beyond most and any one and I mean anyone who has ridden this year respects the race, why, cause its such a massive privilege to be there.

LOL, the best of the best? There are some pro's there, but The Epic has largely become a marketing platform for ex-professional sportsmen, corporate sponsored 'execs', and folks with R100k to spend on a week of riding.

You do appear to have drunk heavily from the epic koolaid.

Edited by GrahamS2

Ah. I see, thanks for the reply, allow me to explain my thoughts.(opinions of course)(but with merits of course;) )

1st off : you did the epic in 2008 when we still did the karoo2coast for 7 days in a row, and the cherry on the cake, you did not even finish the race.. The Epic is now a world class event where the best of the best -Amateurs and Professionals alike come together. It has evolved into something beyond most and any one and I mean anyone who has ridden this year respects the race, why, cause its such a massive privilege to be there.

So with all due respect sir, you have no idea what you're talking about. You haven't been there, you don't know, you're not one of us. Its just as well I do the Dakar(Also the top of that sport, also not affordable) and I get that one 3rd of the crowd barking about soutpanne, 4x4 rides in the dunes and extreme days in Botswana, people should stop doing that ****, why, cause u sound like an idiot

Backpacking or cycling in Europe should NEVER be compared with competing in the pinnacle of any sport, thats a holiday.. And yes i have cycled and raced in Europe, PLENTY, is it nice, ofcourse its nice, its more than nice, but again it should not be compared to the toughest mountain bike race in the world.

And please don't come with that “ You love and worship the epic with a epic tatoo on your leg BS” I dont give a **** about the epic, but i know u do, so please put your money where your mouth is and saddle up, judging from your profile pic you seem to think youre important, so maybe they'll give u a free entry.

Why are you being trolled slightly harder than your fellow hubber? Cause every-time their is a discussion on anything epic you give your strong negative opinion, ja ive noticed, thanks to that weird ass profile pic of yours(no offense bud)

You as a professional should lead cyclists towards the epic, not steer them away, your opinion on the epic makes you sound unprofessional.

Adios Amego.

O crap, almost forgot about the OP, theres a time for glory and theirs a time for holiday, each has its place. Depends on where you are in life, either way, you are so privileged to be in a position to choose, enjoy!

There is a certain irony in explaining to JW how certain races are world class and which races draw "the best of the best" Professionals..

Oh, and paying your 45k allows you "to be there". There is no qualification standard, no selection, no invitation, just an ability and willingness to pay the fee. 

It is only in the most superficial universe - think Kardashian - where cash is conflated with "privilege".

PS.

Your sense of "privilege" and emotional attachment to being one of the "best of the best" has clouded your vision to such an extent that you completely misread JW's first post.

He said nothing negative about the Epic or that he doesn't "give a s*** about the epic". He merely recommended that (if offered the choice) one should pick 4 months in Europe over 7 days in the Cape. Objectively, that is a rational view. 

Only a fanboy, so enthralled by having "competed at the pinnacle of the sport", could take good, common sense advice and see it as an attack on a well organised event open to anyone who wishes the participate. 

PPS.

I am very happy that you believe that you have done "the toughest mountain bike race in the world". You are wrong, but I salute you nonetheless. 

Edited by eddy