Cape Epic or Bikepacking in Europe?

Mark62

its two completely different experiences, done for completely different reasons...

it's a bit like comparing a night in the Michelangelo to a week long camping trip in the okavango.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike packing in Europe - seriously I cannot stress enough how much better of a option that is over the Epic.

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

DO NOT DO EPIC OVER

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

Only cause you can't finish a Epic...  :ph34r:

Edited by Gnarly

Why all the hate for Epic. ...................

Definitely no hate!

Just a rough indication that more Hubbers would rather take a few months bikepacking through Europe than riding a 1 week Epic. It tells you something about the average Hubbers priorities, and it seems about normal to me. Only 10 % of people have elite type athletic potential. The rest not. We (I'm not in that 10% when it comes to cycling) probably know instinctively where we are going to have the greatest life experience for the money.

That's the reason most would gladly skip an Epic for Europe. 

If money and time was no stumbling block, in a real dreamy "what if world", I think many more would have opted to do both, like Kranswurm said above. I'm one that would have wanted to do both, even though I would pick trekking over the Epic if I was forced to choose. And it would have been easier if I could also have turned the clock back a few years and a few crashes.

Edited by DJR

Yip, but it will also have an effect on my reply

Curious. I searched him under Epic results, he comes up. So that will be a Yes then.

But I personally would also choose the euro Bikepacking trip, Or almost any euro riding trip above Cape Epic.

(To qualify my answer, I have one Epic under the belt.)

Done Cape Epic and now living in Europe.Do the 4 months of bike packing but make sure to include a few stages of the Grand Tours in your planning.

I can tell people about my travels and show them photos of what I've seen around Europe but nobody here really cares about the Epic.Think it's the same with your non-cycling friends in SA.

@ the op. Have you already done the trip or are you busy documenting? Sounds raaaaaaad.

Millions of pics please. Daily log etc etc please.

Overall plan. Challenges. Unexpected pleasures. Etc etc

Curious. I searched him under Epic results, he comes up. So that will be a Yes then.

But I personally would also choose the euro Bikepacking trip, Or almost any euro riding trip above Cape Epic.

(To qualify my answer, I have one Epic under the belt.)

Thanks man, Plz motivate the part where u say you would do any race in Europe above the Epic?

Why all the hate for Epic. Yes it's overpriced. No its not the most technical/challenging event.

But what gets people through comrades? or the fun rider who can normally only cycle 40km through the full 94.7 Cyc;e Challenge. What makes these events so memorable?

The support, the spectator factor. And much to my surprise there is alot of that on the Epic routes. The farmers shut down their farms, have their families and staff at water points, or just cheering you as you go through the vineyards.

I never had an interest in the Epic, but my wife wanted to do it. It cost us alot of money, but one of the best weeks of my life.

No hate at all. I would love to do one. But given the choice between bike packing in Europe or an Epic, I'd choose bike packing in Europe, and then add another week and ride some bike parks.

Thanks man, Plz motivate the part where u say you would do any race in Europe above the Epic?

For most people (not speaking for PhilipV here) I think it is about riding some trails not normally accessible to us vs riding trails we can ride all year round (yes I know Epic crosses lots of private trails, but lots of the route is accessible year round and the parts that aren't accessible are similair to those that are).

If someone in Switzerland asked the question Swiss Epic or bike packing trip in SA or even Cape Epic I would tell them do the SA event for the same reason I would tell a South African to do the Euro event.