Cape Epic or Bikepacking in Europe?

Mark62

ill even bikepack through Libya, Sudan, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Aganistan and the bike lane through Paarden Eiland instead of the epic. .................

There, fixed it for you! ;)  :D

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There, fixed it for you! ;)  :D

you got me at the bike lane :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

now that would be an adventure.....filled with danger, mystery....the fear of the unknown.

Where does it even go to? does anybody even know?? maybe you fall off the edge of the world at the end...

Edited by morneS555

even though this example is a no brainer...I usually try and think which one will give me the best stories/memories afterwards. imo the epic is not a bucket list kinda thing...Maybe if you are a racing snake and only care about cadence/heartrates and average speeds etc. if it is about the challenge...even then i think there are more epic adventure ones like the Trans Baviaans or Munga for example. I don't know....ever since i was a kid - there is just something about riding a bike in the dark...

Backpacking Europe is something you'll tell your grandkids about one day. people will envy you when you bring that up at a braai. 

Hell...we "bikepacked" to Bainskloof a few weeks ago and we are still talking about how cool it was....planning the next.

Edited by morneS555

We did Europe for 4 months just trying to figure out how to download photos from iphone to this post ????????

So we book our tickets to the UK

Emirates R6000 return each !

3months in advance not 90 days but 91 days are the secret and dont look for cheap flights they will go up every time you open a site Google knows everything...

yes you can take your bike with you

as your luggage 32kg each plus 7 kg hand luggage

Got free boxes at a bike shop and extra cartoon boxes

for protection...

Yes you do sign a 10 pages small print form the airline

to cover themselve i only saw $600 if they loose your bike we jut sign the forms and off we went....

We took out bikes with us...

to buy a bike there new cost the same as here in S.A.

we took out old bikes with us...

but to buy anything else is 3 times cheaper there than here....

so we got some stuff from Amazon and Halfords UK

you can order stuff from Halfords click and collect

so we arrived at Gatwick got a train to our friends in Southhampton with our big bike boxes on the train

Halfords was almost next to the station

we ordered a Topeak trailer from them

got there assembled our bikes and the trailer infront of Halfords they even have a place for you to fix your bike yourself...

Some interesting replies .....

Epic ... or K2C, or S2C, W2W, etc etc ... and the many other "stage races" .....  Think "it" should be on every cyclists bucket-list.  The format, and price, of most of these stage races have changed drastically over the last 5 years !!  They are still sold out .... so there clearly is a market for this.

4 months in Europe (or the various other international destinations) ....  Having done long distance tours on motorcycles I know how two wheels and minimalistic traveling has its own special attractions.

BUT, for the ordinary person that works .... one can plan and budget for an "Epic" type stage race.  One can even manage 2 or 3 weeks off work for such a trip (including getting there and back).  I struggle to wrap my mind around how a working person can take off 4 months at a time .... okay, I work on large projects, and you will be completely out of touch if you miss as much as one month ....

sure there are many other factors why people choose the one over the other .... even though both must be memorable, to put it mildly

Some interesting replies .....

Epic ... or K2C, or S2C, W2W, etc etc ... and the many other "stage races" .....  Think "it" should be on every cyclists bucket-list.  The format, and price, of most of these stage races have changed drastically over the last 5 years !!  They are still sold out .... so there clearly is a market for this.

4 months in Europe (or the various other international destinations) ....  Having done long distance tours on motorcycles I know how two wheels and minimalistic traveling has its own special attractions.

BUT, for the ordinary person that works .... one can plan and budget for an "Epic" type stage race.  One can even manage 2 or 3 weeks off work for such a trip (including getting there and back).  I struggle to wrap my mind around how a working person can take off 4 months at a time .... okay, I work on large projects, and you will be completely out of touch if you miss as much as one month ....

sure there are many other factors why people choose the one over the other .... even though both must be memorable, to put it mildly

Bike packing in Europe - seriously I cannot stress enough how much better of a option that is over the Epic.

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

DO NOT DO EPIC OVER

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

BIKE PACKING IN EUROPE

Have u done the epic?

Why all the hate for Epic. Yes it's overpriced. No its not the most technical/challenging event.

But what gets people through comrades? or the fun rider who can normally only cycle 40km through the full 94.7 Cyc;e Challenge. What makes these events so memorable?

The support, the spectator factor. And much to my surprise there is alot of that on the Epic routes. The farmers shut down their farms, have their families and staff at water points, or just cheering you as you go through the vineyards.

I never had an interest in the Epic, but my wife wanted to do it. It cost us alot of money, but one of the best weeks of my life.