Cape Epic or Bikepacking in Europe?

Mark62

Quite persistent (or curious)!?

A trick question ..., since you have an answer ready either way?

it's a running joke on here about people who have done the epic...(how do you know someone has done the epic?....they'll tell you of course even if toy didn't ask"

He has probably done it and wants to know if Mr Wakefield has....so he's sitting in angst, waiting for a reply so he can TELL him that he HAS done it 3x and Europe is crap :ph34r:

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before Friday rolls along and this thread tackled in that style. It's worth noting two things:

1. The OP chose 4 months backpacking. They've returned...

2. The original question is like asking whether you prefer coffee or tea. There is no right or wrong answer. And you don't need to have tried both to prefer one. You just prefer one...

FYI - I would prefer to bikepack in Europe over an Epic. Why? I don't ride a MTB...

Cape Epic R82000 ???? for a week... or

Going oveseas R????? for 4 months

Our friends decided to do the Cape Epic next year.

we decided Bikepacking Europe 4 months.

we just came back from our

4 months trip

4months 4000km trip

it's a running joke on here about people who have done the epic...(how do you know someone has done the epic?....they'll tell you of course even if toy didn't ask"

He has probably done it and wants to know if Mr Wakefield has....so he's sitting in angst, waiting for a reply so he can TELL him that he HAS done it 3x and Europe is crap :ph34r:

True , same goes for some so called top notch schools . But since I am guilty in this thread of mentioning 1 Epic , doing it qualifies you to answer the OP's question .

Sorry about the late reply and creating angst but I'm in Europe at some small bike race in Spain trying to help a 20yr old finish high up on GC.

To answer the question it is yes, I have, had a small knee issue and mostly it was honestly not what I enjoyed and left with mid way. Not what I thought. But that's me and more than likely opposite of you, but that is what makes us all different.

But I dont understand why if I have or haven't done it qualifies me to give a educated answer on the topic??

I have subsequently been lucky enough to do Swiss epic last year with a athlete and friend, I will say it was to date the best event I have ever done, hard, amazing and all that. I wanted to go back this year but work didn't allow.

I have also been Lucky enough to ride my bike all over Europe - pyrenees, alps, Spain etc etc. For me it trumps riding around the cape and falling short of getting a Cape Epic tattoo on my leg.

I hope this has answered your question and you can no rest well knowing that you are possibly a level above me on being hard for doing the cape epic or 3.

So my question is: Have you ridden around Europe? Alps? Pyrenees? Girona? Sierra Nevada or just cape epic? 

Cheers all 

Edited by J Wakefield

I think most human thinking is binary (That's an insult btw)

If I say do a Euro trip rather there's an immediate assumption that I think the Epic sucks. Then the inevitable question of Have you done it pops out to invalidate my opinion.

I could of course reply with Have you ridden Monte Grappa, Joux Plane, Sa Calobra? Have you done 8800m of descending in  single day? Have you seen Mont Blanc from a charlift? Have you ridden to the light house at Cap Formentor on Mallorca? But that would also be binary.

The one doesn't invalidate the other. We don't all drive Toyota Carolla's. Why must we all squeeze into a narrow stereotype of what riding is? It's Binary (Stupid)

I think most human thinking is binary (That's an insult btw)

If I say do a Euro trip rather there's an immediate assumption that I think the Epic sucks. Then the inevitable question of Have you done it pops out to invalidate my opinion.

I could of course reply with Have you ridden Monte Grappa, Joux Plane, Sa Calobra? Have you done 8800m of descending in single day? Have you seen Mont Blanc from a charlift? Have you ridden to the light house at Cap Formentor on Mallorca? But that would also be binary.

The one doesn't invalidate the other. We don't all drive Toyota Carolla's. Why must we all squeeze into a narrow stereotype of what riding is? It's Binary (Stupid)

I like this guy.

Just one other thing.

There's an assumption by South Africans that Europe is expensive and therefore written off immediately.

It's NOT!!

If you are clever and you jump through all the discovery hoops you can get to Europe for under 8k. Or at least that's what I'm told.

Airbnb? Same as here

Transport? Public transport is *** cheap. 

Food. Same as here. Maybe cheaper.

If you are eating out at every mealtime it's going to be very expensive. If you are renting a car that's going to hurt. But if you do that here it's going to be the same. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Just one other thing.

There's an assumption by South Africans that Europe is expensive and therefore written off immediately.

It's NOT!!

If you are clever and you jump through all the discovery hoops you can get to Europe for under 8k. Or at least that's what I'm told.

Airbnb? Same as here

Transport? Public transport is *** cheap. 

Food. Same as here. Maybe cheaper.

If you are eating out at every mealtime it's going to be very expensive. If you are renting a car that's going to hurt. But if you do that here it's going to be the same. 

When last were you in Germany ?Not on our Rondt it isnt

When last were you in Germany ?Not on our Rondt it isnt

I was in France last month and Spain & France in December. Never been to Germania. I'm talking supermarkets here. Restaurants you will bleed.

Edited by Duane_Bosch