The Munga 2019

Ramrod

The event organisers have made a few questionable decisions in the past... At the running version and the cycling one.

Notably giving Bennie Roux an 8km lift up a hill when he went off course which he eventually went on to win by a very small margin while their own rules clearly state you can't get a lift.....

I wouldn't expect their stance on transparency to suddenly change

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a volatile crypto-currency, hardly a currency like any other. Fact remains they announced prize money in Ronds value, then changed it to bitcoin long after already receiving entries.

Have you entered? If so, perhaps withdraw and demand a refund. If not, why are you upset?

A few more days to the start. I've done 2 full Ironman, joberg2c, and transbaviaans, amongst many races and long endurance rides.

But nothing more than 17 hours at a time. Do any of you guys have a stay awake strategy? Do caffeine shots do it?

Firo,,,don't overthink,Break it down.Aim for Van Der Kloof,that about 220 in .Depending on conditions you will arrive between 12 to 4 if you are early take a power nap and go.The next leg is tough and hot.The its on to Britztown,be careful ,,there is a little off road section before town,Don't stay on the tar.

From here just ride and take power naps on the road or next to the route,it's amazing how long you can go after a 20min nap.

all the best.

A few more days to the start. I've done 2 full Ironman, joberg2c, and transbaviaans, amongst many races and long endurance rides.

But nothing more than 17 hours at a time. Do any of you guys have a stay awake strategy? Do caffeine shots do it?

My advice would be to not take too much caffeine or bio-plus etc... What often happens when on that stuff is that you will go past a point where nothing works except a proper nap. 

If you eat some sweeties, sing, use your brain cognition and 'switch it on' you will have better results. Remembering poems, doing math problems or anything that isn't 2nd nature that will get the brain alert and functioning.

Short naps are a wonder. 

I usually nap until my body cools down enough to wake me up. Then get going again

Never underestimate the value of a power nap. Edited by Vetseun

My advice would be to not take too much caffeine or bio-plus etc... What often happens when on that stuff is that you will go past a point where nothing works except a proper nap. 

If you eat some sweeties, sing, use your brain cognition and 'switch it on' you will have better results. Remembering poems, doing math problems or anything that isn't 2nd nature that will get the brain alert and functioning.

Short naps are a wonder. 

I usually nap until my body cools down enough to wake me up. Then get going again

This^^^^

nap till your shivering wakes you up and go, don't waste time taking out bivvy or even taking your backpack off.

I think the desired finish time would really decide my sleep strategy. under 80 hour finish I would definitely hammer to halfway sleep 2 hours and then hammer to the finish. over that I would break it down and steal an hour a night and not be on the caffeine train at all.

That being said with no real navigation its probably a lot easier to stay mentally sharp.

All I can say is good luck to every one.

This weekend the wind was blowing a gale in the wrong direction, and it was warm balmy 35 degrees in the shade.

Looking forward to dot watching.

Fair comment. Not sure how the volatility of bitcoin makes any difference unless you are planning to win it

Simple. It's about credibility.

If you take people's money upfront, but then change the prizemoney just before the event starts it just shows that you are not honoring a promise. Bait and switch if you must. This is a very public shortcut the race is taking, imagine what could be happening behind the scenes? If I was a supplier to this race I would demand payment upfront.

and there's a bit of history here.

"Guaranteed MILLION DOLLARS"

Organisers of The Munga, the new single-stage 1000-kilometre mountain bike race in South Africa, have decided to limit the number of teams to 450 for the inaugural edition, which takes place from 3-8 December 2014.

Since its launch on 22 May, global interest in the event has been significant, largely due to the guaranteed US $1 million dollar prize purse, the richest podium payout in endurance sport. But the organisers want the race experience for all teams, regardless of their finishing position, to be of the highest quality, which has led to the entry number limit.

Why? It is a currency like any other. If they paid a set amount of dollars or pounds or rands or yuan or rubles, the value in different currencies could fluctuate as well.

Yes but Bitcoin is way more volatile than most Fiat currencies.

Simple. It's about credibility.

If you take people's money upfront, but then change the prizemoney just before the event starts it just shows that you are not honoring a promise. Bait and switch if you must. This is a very public shortcut the race is taking, imagine what could be happening behind the scenes? If I was a supplier to this race I would demand payment upfront.

and there's a bit of history here.

"Guaranteed MILLION DOLLARS"

Organisers of The Munga, the new single-stage 1000-kilometre mountain bike race in South Africa, have decided to limit the number of teams to 450 for the inaugural edition, which takes place from 3-8 December 2014.

Since its launch on 22 May, global interest in the event has been significant, largely due to the guaranteed US $1 million dollar prize purse, the richest podium payout in endurance sport. But the organisers want the race experience for all teams, regardless of their finishing position, to be of the highest quality, which has led to the entry number limit.

Aye good point. I do, however, seem to remember that there was an eye watering entrance fee to go along with that. Am I right that it was $10,000 per person?

I would say though, that anybody who feels put out by the goalposts being moved iro the prize money changing after they have entered would have grounds to demand their money back. Don’t know if I am wrong on that and, if not, then there would be plenty of reason to be aggrieved. Obviously, that doesn’t take into account the significant investment that that person may have made in bike, training, accommodation etc.

If you were not in with a chance of winning though, I struggle to see why you would worry for even a second about it, unless you see it as symptomatic of a larger problem.