garonkent

OP just trying to do a good thing to help society with the current crime wave but gets flamed.Come on people he at least did something when seeing something suspicious.Bet he won’t next time and also a few others reading the thread.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been many stolen bikes recovered on the forum but with all the political correctness people will think twice about acting on a hunch.

OP just trying to do a good thing to help society with the current crime wave but gets flamed.Come on people he at least did something when seeing something suspicious.Bet he won’t next time and also a few others reading the thread.

I second this

I'm all for pointing out suspicious situations, but what exactly about that pic is suspicious. Commuter on a commuter bike?

Please bare with me, my English isn't good nor the ability to pen my thoughts logically.

Garonkent saw a person with a bike: It looked suspicion for the following reasons.

The suspect was dressed in plain clothes

The bike is clipless, indicating that the owner of the bicycle was/ is a serious rider and would wear cycle specific clothing when using the bicycle. 

Since the bike is clipless it must be expensive. and the person in possession of the bike does not look as if he falls within that demographic that will own a expensive bicycle. 

If I didn't know the basic value of this specific bike beforehand I would agree with Garonkent, it doesn't look lekker. 

So, with the assistance of private security the suspect is cornered and interrogated. By means of the suspects' employer it is established that the bike is the legal property of the suspect (no longer a suspect but just a innocent guy with a entry level mountain bike).

That is supposed to be the end of this story. But it is not.

So why would Garonkent still believes the bike to be stolen, even after gathering all that evidence that shows the opposite? And the only conclusion I can come to is that Garonkent is one of those hardegat chaps that do not listen nor hear the words of others and only follow his own mind.    

Agree why still post it after ownership was verified, as I previously said the power of Assumption!

Please bare with me, my English isn't good nor the ability to pen my thoughts logically.

Garonkent saw a person with a bike: It looked suspicion for the following reasons.

The suspect was dressed in plain clothes

The bike is clipless, indicating that the owner of the bicycle was/ is a serious rider and would wear cycle specific clothing when using the bicycle.

Since the bike is clipless it must be expensive. and the person in possession of the bike does not look as if he falls within that demographic that will own a expensive bicycle.

If I didn't know the basic value of this specific bike beforehand I would agree with Garonkent, it doesn't look lekker.

So, with the assistance of private security the suspect is cornered and interrogated. By means of the suspects' employer it is established that the bike is the legal property of the suspect (no longer a suspect but just a innocent guy with a entry level mountain bike).

That is supposed to be the end of this story. But it is not.

So why would Garonkent still believes the bike to be stolen, even after gathering all that evidence that shows the opposite? And the only conclusion I can come to is that Garonkent is one of those hardegat chaps that do not listen nor hear the words of others and only follow his own mind.

Please tell us what is suspicious about a guy in plain clothes riding a cheap bike to work?

Please tell us what is suspicious about a guy in plain clothes riding a cheap bike to work?

Does telling the difference between top end and not so top end get taught, i certainly missed the lesson then. When I started cycling i thought a bike was a bike, so my first since school days was a Makro Raleaigh, you could have shown me entry level and top level I would not know the difference.. Learned a lot since then, perhaps the OP is still in the dark. 

Does telling the difference between top end and not so top end get taught, i certainly missed the lesson then. When I started cycling i thought a bike was a bike, so my first since school days was a Makro Raleaigh, you could have shown me entry level and top level I would not know the difference.. Learned a lot since then, perhaps the OP is still in the dark.

Let me rephrase then. What makes a guy riding a bike to work suspicious.

Im on my my to work, give me a few minutes and I'll flood this site with suspicious sightings.

Let me rephrase then. What makes a guy riding a bike to work suspicious.

Im on my my to work, give me a few minutes and I'll flood this site with suspicious sightings.

Rephrase it to What makes a guy riding a bike suspicious, OP did not know he was going to work. 

No doubt anyone can give examples of suspicious sightings. I do renovations around the house and when I go to the shops for something quickly I go in the same messy clothes, I also take my own carry bags. Cant tell you the number of times I've been asked to show ID that the Credit Card I'm using is mine, or that I have a till slip for the items in my bag, and I'm not talking about the Makro's, Dions etc which is their policy and applies to everyone, I'm talking about the Shoprites and Spars which do not ask when I'm "smartly" dressed. 

Rephrase it to What makes a guy riding a bike suspicious, OP did not know he was going to work.

Fair enough, and then he got to work and was vouched for by "his boss lady".

By your logic he now knew, so an apology would have been the appropriate action, not an interrogation and publication of his photo.

The OP ignorantly jumped to a conclusion and when faced with evidence chose to compound his error rather than acknowledge it.

Ps. And if you think "no harm, no foul" imagine how the OP's actions may affect tbis perception of the "haves" in the society in which he has been marginalised.

Edited by eddy

I'm all for pointing out suspicious situations, but what exactly about that pic is suspicious. Commuter on a commuter bike?

- no helmet, gloves or any cycling attire

- tekkies on clip-in pedals (nonsense, my bike with clip-in pedals is unrideable without the correct shoes as anything just slips off)

- 2 bottle cages and rear reflector, so there's been some money spent on this bike, whether it is entry level or cheap in the reader's eyes are irrelevant. This bike could fetch R3000-R5000 2nd hand IMO and that's a lot for many people.

- speed sensor visible on front wheel (again, money was spent), which implies the bike gets used for training purposes (in addition to commuting purposes)

At the same time, I also wonder and would enjoy clarification as to why the post was made after credentials were "verified"? OP, do you believe they lied about the validity of the ownership? 

Anyone who immediately jumped to "is it because he's black??", is akin to a backwards human and you need to wake up to 2019. The ignorance and moral high ground rhetoric is weak and disgusting. Most racists I encounter are in fact the "defenders against racism". Lekker walking through life with a mindset limited by horse blinkers hey. When I'm out riding, I look at every bike and compare it to the rider's equipment - if they don't match, it raises suspicion. I appreciate reports like these as when the day comes that I get hijacked, I'll be hoping it's my bike that gets spotted in a situation like this.

Fair enough, and then he got to work and was vouched for by "his boss lady".

By your logic he now knew, so an apology would have been the appropriate action, not an interrogation and publication of his photo.

The OP ignorantly jumped to a conclusion and when faced with evidence chose to compound his error rather than acknowledge it.

Ps. And if you think "no harm, no foul" imagine how the OP's actions may affect tbis perception of the "haves" in the society in which he has been marginalised.

Can't disagree. Hopefully the OP has now been educated not to discriminate and what constitutes a high value bike from something more in my bracket.