garonkent

Saw this guy wearing jeans and button up shirt pushing this bike up 7th Ave, Parktown North. When followed to a house and met with my security company he had quickly changed into running clothes and was avoiding answering questions. His boss lady vouched for him and the bike but it seemed really strange that he was shaking when being questioned and didn't answer as to why he changed.

So if you recognise this bike and it went missing 14 Sep 2019 (or perhaps was stolen previously and just moved on this day) then let me know as I know what address the bike is sitting at.

post-151120-0-36667000-1568456454_thumb.jpeg

post-151120-0-77804500-1568456464_thumb.jpeg

Edited by garonkent

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I'm just posting a sighting here, please don't make it something it isn't. I can tell you the full story here if you wish but I didn't feel it necessary as this isn't an investigate journalism article.

One point being this bike has cleat pedals and he isn't wearing cleats here.

That bike isn't a high value bike and is not all out of place under a commuter...

I agree, my painter has a similar bike that was given to him. Those look like flat pedals to me.

Changed onto running gear? Oke is light years ahead of me this weekend on fitness. 

If there is more of a reason to the whole thing as alluded to by the OP then it would be good to share that because at the moment it doesn't sound that dodgy. Pretty old 26'r but that's based on what's been posted. 

Saw this guy wearing jeans and button up shirt pushing this bike up 7th Ave, Parktown North. When followed to a house and met with my security company he had quickly changed into running clothes and was avoiding answering questions. His boss lady vouched for him and the bike but it seemed really strange that he was shaking when being questioned and didn't answer as to why he changed.

So if you recognise this bike and it went missing 14 Sep 2019 (or perhaps was stolen previously and just moved on this day) then let me know as I know what address the bike is sitting at.

Flat pedals. V Brakes. Not an expensive bike at all. IMO looks legit for a commuter.

the bike and the tekkies are about in the same price range

sometimes I ride my bike with normal shoes, boots, gumboots or flip-flops

I too, would be in a rattle if guys in uniform jumped me without a valid reason

Thank you for been vigilant and remember for next time: don't jump the gun. 

One of my guys that worked for me had a 29er with Shimano 520 pedals that he bought from me and started cycling weekends. Used it as a commuter also in the week with his work clothes on.

Incredibly difficult topic .....

YES, it is a cheap commuter, and the pic on its own does not raise any alarms ....

BUT, a house down the street was burglared, once again, on Wednesday.  9:00 in the Morning, White Hilux single cab bakkie with a CA registration stopped in the middle of the road.  One walks up and presses the door bell, while the bakkie turns around.  He walks to the bakkie and gets his crowbar, breaks open the safety gate and destroys the door and the door frame !!  Next three of them walks out with a range of electronic goods - brand new goods as they emptied the house about 3 months ago.

They were not at all bothered about the clearly visible camera.

If only ONE neighbour phoned the neighbourhood watch .....  Then again, just after the previous burglary we spotted a car in our cul-de-sac at 4:00.  I took a photo of the car, he raced away when he saw the flash !!  When I tried to phone the cops, both numbers for our area "was busy" ..... It was later confirmed that that cars registration was linked to burglaries in the area.  We are seeing a pattern in our area - they come in and empty a lot of homes over a week or two, then dissapear for two months, and come back to collect the new stuff.  After that it goes quiet for 2 years ....

If we "stay out of it", they get away with it.... (still dont see anything suspicious on the bicycle photo alone...)

If we stick our neck out we get it from all sides ....