garonkent

Dude, that is a cheap commuter bike. I see 20 guys dressed exactly like him on bikes exactly like that on their way to work every day.

I'm all for pointing out possible questionable scenarios, but nothing about that pic looks suspicious to me.

If I was in his position and someone started questioning me I'd quite honestly tell them to bugger off and ride away.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

. His boss lady

Sensitive turn of phrase there.

I am sure you were appropriately respectful when you interrogated him and in a country ravished by hatred and suspicion you gave him no reason to be shaking.

That an employed man could have the temerity to commute on a bicycle with an honest resale value of, ooh, I don't know, maybe R800, is clearly unacceptable.

Lots going off about the value of the bike, you assume the OP is familiar with high end Di2 XTR, full carbon high end fork etc and can tell them apart. 

Saw this guy wearing jeans and button up shirt pushing this bike up 7th Ave, Parktown North. When followed to a house and met with my security company he had quickly changed into running clothes and was avoiding answering questions. His boss lady vouched for him and the bike but it seemed really strange that he was shaking when being questioned and didn't answer as to why he changed.

So if you recognise this bike and it went missing 14 Sep 2019 (or perhaps was stolen previously and just moved on this day) then let me know as I know what address the bike is sitting at.

Bro, it appears as if the majority here feel that the oke with the bike looks legit. Thanks for posting what you felt could be a dodge situation. This place can get pretty brutal on okes trying to do good, actually on anybody.Water off a ducks back mate. Dont be discouraged. Peace

Incredibly difficult topic .....

YES, it is a cheap commuter, and the pic on its own does not raise any alarms ....

BUT, a house down the street was burglared, once again, on Wednesday. 9:00 in the Morning, White Hilux single cab bakkie with a CA registration stopped in the middle of the road. One walks up and presses the door bell, while the bakkie turns around. He walks to the bakkie and gets his crowbar, breaks open the safety gate and destroys the door and the door frame !! Next three of them walks out with a range of electronic goods - brand new goods as they emptied the house about 3 months ago.

They were not at all bothered about the clearly visible camera.

If only ONE neighbour phoned the neighbourhood watch ..... Then again, just after the previous burglary we spotted a car in our cul-de-sac at 4:00. I took a photo of the car, he raced away when he saw the flash !! When I tried to phone the cops, both numbers for our area "was busy" ..... It was later confirmed that that cars registration was linked to burglaries in the area. We are seeing a pattern in our area - they come in and empty a lot of homes over a week or two, then dissapear for two months, and come back to collect the new stuff. After that it goes quiet for 2 years ....

If we "stay out of it", they get away with it.... (still dont see anything suspicious on the bicycle photo alone...)

If we stick our neck out we get it from all sides ....

How is this long story related to the guy getting interrogated while on his way to work?

Incredibly difficult topic .....

YES, it is a cheap commuter, and the pic on its own does not raise any alarms ....

BUT, a house down the street was burglared, once again, on Wednesday. 9:00 in the Morning, White Hilux single cab bakkie with a CA registration stopped in the middle of the road. One walks up and presses the door bell, while the bakkie turns around. He walks to the bakkie and gets his crowbar, breaks open the safety gate and destroys the door and the door frame !! Next three of them walks out with a range of electronic goods - brand new goods as they emptied the house about 3 months ago.

They were not at all bothered about the clearly visible camera.

If only ONE neighbour phoned the neighbourhood watch ..... Then again, just after the previous burglary we spotted a car in our cul-de-sac at 4:00. I took a photo of the car, he raced away when he saw the flash !! When I tried to phone the cops, both numbers for our area "was busy" ..... It was later confirmed that that cars registration was linked to burglaries in the area. We are seeing a pattern in our area - they come in and empty a lot of homes over a week or two, then dissapear for two months, and come back to collect the new stuff. After that it goes quiet for 2 years ....

If we "stay out of it", they get away with it.... (still dont see anything suspicious on the bicycle photo alone...)

If we stick our neck out we get it from all sides ....

What's all this got to do with it?

I bought my gardener a perfect condition RC 3000 and put Shimano SPDs on with with those clip in flats. Surprised he hasn't been seen here in "sightings" too.

If it was a 2019 Giant XTC you could make assumptions. That's exactly the type of bike someone would donate to help a hard working employee make the daily commute a little easier.

I bought my gardener a perfect condition RC 3000 and put Shimano SPDs on with with those clip in flats. Surprised he hasn't been seen here in "sightings" too.

If it was a 2019 Giant XTC you could make assumptions. That's exactly the type of bike someone would donate to help a hard working employee make the daily commute a little easier.

I gave an old On One to the son of a lady that works with me. Unfortunately he now needs to ride with a letter in his pocket with me giving him permission to use a gift as his only transport. So liberating isn't it.

The power of Assuming! As well as when it’s another race. To even ask or interrogate the oke. Question if is was a white dude would you have questioned it? We as humans are so quick to question or drawing assumptions. So my gardener is not worth riding a Giant he needs to ride with a letter( dompas) to indicate he’s worthy of that bike. Bull man shame on the OP

Edited by Riamich

This is the point. How many of the "civic minded" folk on the hub would stop a white oke walking down the road in plimsols wheeling a 150k bike?

The power of Assuming! As well as when it’s another race. To even ask or interrogate the oke. Question if is was a white dude would you have questioned it? We as humans are so quick to question or drawing assumptions. So my gardener is not worth riding a Giant he needs to ride with a letter( dompas) to indicate he’s worthy of that bike. Bull man shame on the OP

This is the point. How many of the "civic minded" folk on the hub would stop a white oke walking down the road in plimsols wheeling a 150k bike?

Well, if playing cowboys and crooks makes them feel better, then so be it. Next time they must make a citizens arrest and rock up at the nearest cop shop. Would love to see the outcome of that.

Look, I think it's fair of the OP to make a post and have a look at something that seemed suspicious to him and alert people here in case it was stolen / missing. There is a whole section dedicated to the amount of stolen bikes and I'm sure any of the posters there would take some help. Also old bikes with V-brakes do get stolen as well. My gardener had his bike stolen a couple of days after he got it. 

Yeah, it seems it wasn't a stolen bike (but who knows, all we concluded was it was an old bike) and it does raise some uncomfortable questions about assumptions but also I don't think the knee jerk pile-on by some posters is entirely justified.

Edited by Dirt Tracker

Well, if playing cowboys and crooks makes them feel better, then so be it. Next time they must make a citizens arrest and rock up at the nearest cop shop. Would love to see the outcome of that.

The outcome would be a case of abduction against the cowboy...

That guys is dressed neater than me for work ... and I also go about town at times with takkies on my SPD's .... does this mean I have to start riding with a letter addressed to myself stating that I am the owner thereof?

What right do we have to stop and interrogate a person without being a witness to a crime where the person was involved. Answer = we do not have the right to do so.

If I were questioned by a patrol crew my reaction would have been dismissive ... what then, would the patrol crew have taken action to "secure me and the bicycle"?

Unless a report goes out from a nearby location where a bicycle is reported stolen, and the bicycle matches the description, then there should be really no reason at all to question this or any other person.

If someone stops me and demands proof that my bike is mine, I regress 30 years and start swinging. **** all right to do so. This isn’t that eighties

Edited by BigDL