Big groups

bullet77

That video tells a LOT ....

6:30 in the morning .... day is just breaking and visibility at its worst !

Not to mention most drivers are still not fully awake ....

The video even provides the exact GPS co-ordinates : -33.97064 25.46631, ie midway along Kragga Kamma Road, seems like a nice long WINDING road !! 

Simply NO way to safely pass anything of that length under those conditions !!

A THOUGHT .....  If you were on your way to work, how would you react if a "group", any group, it could be joggers, cyclists, Harley Davidsons, etc etc, caused you a 10 or 20 minute delay ?   And NO, what this driver did certainly is NOT one of the safe options!!

The driver behaviour is "weird" .... I have to wonder if he has encountered this group before, and wanted to make this video to "prove his point" .... (whatever the heck his point may be....)

Of more concern .... we all drive cars.  We all see people passing on blind corners .... have a look at that section of road.  If a car comes around one of those blind corners into that size group .....  Forget about "legal" and "being right", this can only end badly for the cyclists .....  We KNOW the type of drivers we share the roads with, cycle to stay alive .......

O-well, not sure a flame suit will save my hide .... but those are my thoughts .....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I  think these would be directly applicable:

Not riding in single file

**311.2 Persons riding pedal cycles on a public road shall ride in single file except in the course of overtaking another pedal cycle, and two or more persons riding pedal cycles shall not overtake another vehicle at the same time.

**317.2 No person shall organize or take part in any race or sport on a public road, unless the prior written consent of the MEC of the province concerned has been obtained or, where the race or sport will take place wholly within the area of jurisdiction of a local authority, the prior written consent of such local authority has been obtained.
**317.5 A traffic officer responsible for the safety of the public in the area where the racing or sporting event is staged or a traffic officer at the scene of the event, may immediately withdraw the permission for the event or amend the conditions of the permit to ensure the safety of road users, if the staging or continuation of the event, in the traffic officer‟s opinion, is causing or will cause any danger or undue obstructions for other road users or any of the participants in the event.

Note the above does not say anything about the size of the group, but it does mention "organize" and "take part". If you are riding along at random and catch up with another cyclist, then the rule about "single file unless overtaking" applies.

Any kind of group ride where the cyclists are not riding in single file, is clearly illegal and if something bad were to have happened, a court could have attributed a significant portion of the fault to the cyclists.

With regards to:

**311.1 No person shall ride a pedal cycle on a public road unless he or she is seated astride on the saddle of such pedal cycle.

I think that should be interpreted as it being illegal to give your girlfriend a ride sitting "side saddle" on the cross bar, or sitting on the handle bars or the bike rack, rather than the cyclist standing up on the pedals. The same wording applies to motor cyclists and they also have to "face the front".

Cyclists could never be at fault here. How dare the motorist hoot or overtake. Just chill and wait your turn. Patience. We all road users.

(ex cyclist who now wonders why cyclists think they own the road)

Ive never understood how cycling on the road is even legal. This video (one of millions) is evidence of why. Not only is it extremely dangerous for the cyclist, but because theyre moving so much slower than traffic everyone has to pass them - so theyre putting motorists lives in danger too. So i can go and cycle right in the middle of the lane at 20kmh cause its legal to do so? I commute with a mountain bike and always stay off the road as much as possible, only rarely am i forced to be on the road for a few meters or so, and then it just feels kinda wrong and that I'm in the way. A lot of cyclists (im not saying all) feel very entitled, and a big group brings out crowd mentality and they feel invincible. (flame suit on????)

I think that should be interpreted as it being illegal to give your girlfriend a ride sitting "side saddle" on the cross bar, or sitting on the handle bars or the bike rack, rather than the cyclist standing up on the pedals. The same wording applies to motor cyclists and they also have to "face the front".

I commute on a motorbike and sometimes stand on the foot pegs so I can see over the cars when riding in slow traffic.

Every so often the police put up a road blocks on Cedar Road or Witkoppen to check for outstanding vehicle licences and fines. Cop stopped me and gave me some grief about standing while riding, I though he was joking... he didn't fine and let me off with a warning.

Interpretation is everything....

Ive never understood how cycling on the road is even legal. This video (one of millions) is evidence of why. Not only is it extremely dangerous for the cyclist, but because theyre moving so much slower than traffic everyone has to pass them - so theyre putting motorists lives in danger too. So i can go and cycle right in the middle of the lane at 20kmh cause its legal to do so? I commute with a mountain bike and always stay off the road as much as possible, only rarely am i forced to be on the road for a few meters or so, and then it just feels kinda wrong and that I'm in the way. A lot of cyclists (im not saying all) feel very entitled, and a big group brings out crowd mentality and they feel invincible. (flame suit on[emoji23])

Yes, yes, yes.

[emoji849][emoji849]

So we have to ride in numbers to avoid being murdered or mugged on the roads

BUT

We should not ride in numbers because cars wanting to overtake do so in a manner that is not exactly very clever.

SO

We must all ride on stationary trainers in our houses?

May I add that on Tuesday I had the following encounters.

1. Car cuts across traffic circle and nearly takes me out.

2. Car jumps a red light that has been red for sometime and would have killed me at the speed it was travelling it I did not step back due to hearing the car.

3. Car cuts the corner and goes into the cycle lane where I am cycling with me having to grind into the pavement. Caught up to the driver, and this person did not see me apparently.

All the above were where cars came from behind and did not see my properly bright flashing red light ...... or so I assume or else why would they have acted in this manner.

Nah, these supposed pillars of society are just thugs.

Just makes me want to live somewhere where the government has made a policy decision that bicycle transport is a central part of city infrastructure.

So want to get rid of my car

Just makes me want to live somewhere where the government has made a policy decision that bicycle transport is a central part of city infrastructure.

So want to get rid of my car

Come to Copenhagen ????

I don't own a car. It is way cheaper and easier just to hire a car whenever I need one and I get to drive a fun new car every few weeks.

Come to Copenhagen

I don't own a car. It is way cheaper and easier just to hire a car whenever I need one and I get to drive a fun new car every few weeks.

Are you hiring ;), where can I send my CV?

Ive never understood how cycling on the road is even legal. This video (one of millions) is evidence of why. Not only is it extremely dangerous for the cyclist, but because theyre moving so much slower than traffic everyone has to pass them - so theyre putting motorists lives in danger too. So i can go and cycle right in the middle of the lane at 20kmh cause its legal to do so? I commute with a mountain bike and always stay off the road as much as possible, only rarely am i forced to be on the road for a few meters or so, and then it just feels kinda wrong and that I'm in the way. A lot of cyclists (im not saying all) feel very entitled, and a big group brings out crowd mentality and they feel invincible. (flame suit on)

but cyclists were on roads before cars .... and before cyclists it was horses or horses with carts, and before them it was just good old pedestrians.

cars are the new comers here 

but cyclists were on roads before cars .... and before cyclists it was horses or horses with carts, and before them it was just good old pedestrians.

The bottom line is that motorised vehicles and cyclists (and perhaps motorcyclists?) should not be on the same piece of tar. The difference in speed and risk to life is far too great.

It's an interesting point. Notwithstanding the 'we were here first' argument the history of the bicycle and car seem rather wrapped up in one another. Hard to tell them apart to claim first-rights...

tar roads as well? :eek:

May I add that on Tuesday I had the following encounters.

1. Car cuts across traffic circle and nearly takes me out.

2. Car jumps a red light that has been red for sometime and would have killed me at the speed it was travelling it I did not step back due to hearing the car.

3. Car cuts the corner and goes into the cycle lane where I am cycling with me having to grind into the pavement. Caught up to the driver, and this person did not see me apparently.

All the above were where cars came from behind and did not see my properly bright flashing red light ...... or so I assume or else why would they have acted in this manner.

Nah, these supposed pillars of society are just thugs.

Agreed Hairy!

Archived