Big groups

bullet77

It's an interesting point. Notwithstanding the 'we were here first' argument the history of the bicycle and car seem rather wrapped up in one another. Hard to tell them apart to claim first-rights...

1886 for cars and 1817 for bikes.. so bikes win it by a fair amount.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tar roads as well? :eek:

One of the first “tar” roads was laid in Paris. The famous Champs-Elysees of the 1600s was covered with asphalt in 1824 signifying it as the first modern road in Europe. By the late 1800s, America would be paving roads.

1886 for cars and 1817 for bikes.. so bikes win it by a fair amount.

So yes, tar roads with bicycles on it before cars were using them :)

Cars only came on the scene 62 years after the first tarred road was laid, with bicycles being on the roads 7 years before the tar was laid 

One of the first “tar” roads was laid in Paris. The famous Champs-Elysees of the 1600s was covered with asphalt in 1824 signifying it as the first modern road in Europe. By the late 1800s, America would be paving roads.

So yes, tar roads with bicycles on it before cars were using them :)

Cars only came on the scene 62 years after the first tarred road was laid, with bicycles being on the roads 7 years before the tar was laid 

So gravel grinding was hip before roadies?

Just makes me want to live somewhere where the government has made a policy decision that bicycle transport is a central part of city infrastructure.

So want to get rid of my car

2 years since I got rid of my car. Never looked back. Similar to Eldron, I hire a car every now and then (maybe once every couple of months) when I need one, but otherwise bike and public transport, with a very occasional Uber. Use my wife’s car on most evening and weekend errands.

Funny enough, had to go to the stables before work this morning, so I dropped the kids at school and drove to the stables and then dropped the car with my missus. I realised just how little I miss driving a car at rush hour. Best feeling in the world not to have to drive to work.

2 years since I got rid of my car. Never looked back. Similar to Eldron, I hire a car every now and then (maybe once every couple of months) when I need one, but otherwise bike and public transport, with a very occasional Uber. Use my wife’s car on most evening and weekend errands.

Funny enough, had to go to the stables before work this morning, so I dropped the kids at school and drove to the stables and then dropped the car with my missus. I realised just how little I miss driving a car at rush hour. Best feeling in the world not to have to drive to work.

I would have loved to commute but no matter what route I take I will have to pass at least one informal settlement, that it self scares me.

Everyone can agree that riding in 100+ peleton is not ayoba. But from the video its not possible to tell if it is one group. Lots of groups around the peninsula catch other bunches or get caught at lights, then you have the 3-4 groups of 20 making a mega-ton of 80 so riders. Hard to stop that happening.

Lekker to get down to one car, been toying with the idea for months. Just both cars were paid for in cash and wont get what they are worth if try and sell and dont know if will need 2 cars in next year or so with kids changing schools etc.

Lekker to get down to one car, been toying with the idea for months. Just both cars were paid for in cash and wont get what they are worth if try and sell and dont know if will need 2 cars in next year or so with kids changing schools etc.

We have a few in our offices who have cut to 1 car. We have company cars for site visits so a few get dropped at work by the mrs on the school run and fetched at 5, apparently the cost saving is ridiculous, not just car, but insurance, licencing etc, etc.

Most importantly it makes more space in the garage for bicycles...

We have a few in our offices who have cut to 1 car. We have company cars for site visits so a few get dropped at work by the mrs on the school run and fetched at 5, apparently the cost saving is ridiculous, not just car, but insurance, licencing etc, etc.

I was in a similar situation and also had to consider losing on the car. However:

My commute in the car was 25-35 minutes. On the bike it is 15-20, although I then shower and change.

My parking was £6 per day, now I pay £34 per month for secure bike parking including a brilliant gym.

Insurance was £35 per month, now included in my home insurance.

Diesel was £280 per month (4 tanks at £70), now maybe £50 per month in extra mileage in my wife’s car.

Maintenance was steep as crap - in the last year that I had the car it cost me £1000 in maintenance and tyres (it was a 12 year old car).

I now chuck £5 into my locker at the gym every day that I cycle in, and take £5 out every day that I catch a train. There is a decent wad of cash building up there which I will put towards my next bike.

So true. 

I don't have a garage, maybe need to build one :P

I was in a similar situation and also had to consider losing on the car. However:

My commute in the car was 25-35 minutes. On the bike it is 15-20, although I then shower and change.

My parking was £6 per day, now I pay £34 per month for secure bike parking including a brilliant gym.

Insurance was £35 per month, now included in my home insurance.

Diesel was £280 per month (4 tanks at £70), now maybe £50 per month in extra mileage in my wife’s car.

Maintenance was steep as crap - in the last year that I had the car it cost me £1000 in maintenance and tyres (it was a 12 year old car).

I now chuck £5 into my locker at the gym every day that I cycle in, and take £5 out every day that I catch a train. There is a decent wad of cash building up there which I will put towards my next bike.

wow , on those numbers I work out a cost saving of £6100 per year (excluding the additional maintenance on your wife car). 

This made me smile.......right on my doorstep.

Recognised a number of the cyclists. Some friends, fellow club members and Hubbers too.

The driver should never have tried to over take. You can clearly see the oncoming car. He also shouldn't have stopped the way he did.

But............the cyclists were not innocent. Surely they are intelligent enough to realise that they are hogging the road and holding up traffic. I would be pretty annoyed if I'm driving to work and being forced to sit behind a troop of cyclists, who are taking up the whole lane (yes the law requires that cyclists ride in single file) and making me drive at 25km/h. 

Common courtesy to other road users is all it takes. Break up the group into several smaller ones and put the faster guys in the front group so that they spread out. Ride in single file so that you don't hold up motorists. This road gets extremely busy from about 7am, so these guys are pretty rude hogging it the way they did. 

I often come across small groups whilst in my car. Generally, when they see a car approaching, they move over into single file and give space for the car to move past. There is normally a friendly waive involved. The cyclists are kinda saying thank you for your patience and the motorist saying thank you for moving over. This bunch was so big, they couldn't move over.

There are several training groups in PE, so I cannot say for certain if this is the group. Our club did report a group to the police for numerous offences and made a request that we don't ride with the group. They were just too dangerous.