Merida one twenty weight saving

Nicomrs

I have the One Twenty 8000 with AXS XX1, AXS dropper and a Pike Ultimate fitted aftermarket. It comes in at just over 13kg so you'll bust to get your Alu bike down to 13kg without spending good money.

Granted the bike comes with some proper chunky tires, changing those will drop some weight easy peasy. 

Agreed with above sentiments re wheels and tires to drop some weight. Rotational weight is also a bastard so always good to start there. 

Edited by Iwan Kemp

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, decided to go with stans rims with hope pro 4 hub, any thoughts? Still deciding between arch and flow rims.

I'd go for the flow because they're much stronger but probably also heavier than the arches 

see if you can find a weight spec for your current wheels 

I'm dead sure the hope/stans combo will still save a fair few grams and you'll have bomb proof wheels 

Ok, decided to go with stans rims with hope pro 4 hub, any thoughts? Still deciding between arch and flow rims.

Will the wheels be used mostly for marathon with occasional trail or do you intend to #enduro?

arch for the former and flow for the latter.

not a lot you can do without spending major moola on new drive train, lighter fork or wheel set. However reasonable upgrades would be carbon handle bar and stem. Also, if the bike is sold standard with the maxxis forekaster 2.35 folding tires, I would replace those with lighter vittoria barzo 2.25 tires (that alone should save 360g). not sure which pedals you are using, but xtr clipless pedals will also save a few grams. then lastly look at importing some lightweight through axles. claimed standard weight as per some websites for this bike is 14.10kg, which is not bad for an aluminium dual suss with dropper post. I reckon if you can get down to low 13kg's build you have a winner.

Sjoe, for 1.1kg weight saving I would invest in big box of laxatives

I would say Lyne amp 30 or pulse 30 good solid wheels lighter that Stan's and definitely stronger. I had 2 sets of mrk3 Stan's wheels and both cracked around the nippels, from there went with Lyne amp 30 and they have been bulletproof!

try looking at Lyne Components just got a set of wheels for 6k that was lighter than mt Crest and ark 24s, very happy so far.

also remember there are 3 types of weight

Sprung, unsprung and rotating mass.

Rotating mass is the worst weight, as you have to accelerate it into it's rotation to get it moving forward and you have to maintain that rotation. You also have the gyroscopic affect making it harder to turn etc. This is things like wheels, tyres, hubs etc. A small weight saving there will feel like a bigger weight saving.

Unsprung mass is things like rear triangle and fork lower, this is the next worst weight. Your suspension has to work against this weight and break it's momentum in order to keep the tyre in contact with the ground best. Weight saved here will add some performance.

Finally Sprung weight, this is all the rest, usually this is also the cheapest weight to lose on a mtb, but in reality it will not give you the gains that the other 2 types of weight will.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok fitted some nice stanz flow rims with hope hubs, much better ride. Still weighing in at 14.9kg????whats next?

A drilling machine and an epic sense of adventure.  :clap:

Ok fitted some nice stanz flow rims with hope hubs, much better ride. Still weighing in at 14.9kgwhats next?

Ok fitted some nice stanz flow rims with hope hubs, much better ride. Still weighing in at 14.9kgwhats next?

1/2 a cup of sealemt per tyre not 2 gallons .....14.9 :cursing:  vok

My 120 800 Large stock was 14.2kg with pedals, dropped to 13.8kg with XC tyres. The biggest % of weight is frame, wheels, fork and tyres. Other than that the savings will be small and in the 100-200 grams per component if you're lucky ...

Edited by mtbride

We have a Titan Skyrim comp and I removed the rear wheel and Boy it felt heavy and I am sure it is the 11-42 cassette, Cassette felt very heavy, I am sure it is steel, that bike is also very heavy, I am sure way more than 15kg

We have a Titan Skyrim comp and I removed the rear wheel and Boy it felt heavy and I am sure it is the 11-42 cassette, Cassette felt very heavy, I am sure it is steel, that bike is also very heavy, I am sure way more than 15kg

The GX Eagle 10-50 is 450grams !