[Event] FNB Wines2Whales Shiraz

FNB Wines2Whales MTB

We actually joked this past weekend about that Afrikaans song\saying, "Wie trou dan op 'n final?". "Wie ry W2W op 'n final?"

The wife will be sending score updates. I'll just check them at the WPs.

Or maybe I can ride along with guys getting updates straight on their Garmin\Wahoo\Polar etc.

Go Bokke!

Updates not gonna cut it for me

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find the guy who's streaming it on his phone mounted to his handlebars.

then make sure you stay behind him with your Go-Pro on!

This past weekend's W2W Shiraz event was my first W2W event ever. What an experience!

I can definitely recommend this to any first timers to a stage race. From start to finish the organization of this event stood out for me. Everything ran smoothly and the overall experience was great. The water points from Woolies were well stocked with ReHidrate, Coca-cola, water & snacks (dates, bananas, chips, sandwiches, naartjies, watermelon, jelly babies, jelly worms, ocassional banana bread, cake pieces) more than enough to get one going again and we really enjoyed the vibe at the water points. There were even some wines to be sampled en-route. Once fueled up from all the snacks the guys from Squirt lubed up the chains and you set off to the next one or to finish off for the day.

Race village was outstanding! DHL provided a massive pickup area (under roof & on pallets so your bags don't get wet / soggy from the grass). Each rider has his own tent with your race number on it, clearly marked and easy to find. Each tent is supplied with a mattress (was comfy and had a good two nights sleep). Overall during the evening I hardly heard any snoring and the weren't too much noise to keep you awake (except for a few noise okes after the rugby world cup win on Saturday evening late). More than enough chill areas provided for riders with bars where you can buy refreshments (beer/coldrinks/wine). The complimentary spur burger & chips was nice after a long ride washed down with some CBC Lager. Hardly any queues waiting for food & drinks. The whole race village was kept tidy and cleaners were constantly cleaning up after people who can't bin their rubbish. We didn't spent any time in FNB lounge area (the indoor area had aircon) but it looked chilled and people were enjoying lounging around. There was a huge area for massages, a huge dining tent where you get a very nice breakfast in the morning as well as dinner in the evenings. The food was great! Really enjoyed the spread. After your ride each day you take your bike to get washed and placed in area where all the bikes are locked up during the night.

Ablutions and showers was not too far away and the shower setup worked very well (warm water if you needed it). Overall it was a very nice experience, riders & W2W staff were very friendly through the whole weekend which made the experience even better, not to mention the awesome trails you get to ride on a event like this. My mind was blown by the beautiful scenery and the Gantouw Pass was an experience in itself. The finish in Onrus was great against the backdrop of the ocean and riding on the beach - you have made it!

Yes the race is tough but with some training it is more than doable. Next year the route will be in reverse, starting off in Onrus and finishing in Lourensford, I don't know if I'm keen for all that climbing but I really enjoyed my first Wines2Whales and kudos to everyone for making it a very memorable experience, it was GREAT!

Edited by Beer4Recovery

First time doing the w2w. What an incredible experience it was. Best trails I have ever done. Water points were really good.

Only one complaint I have was for SPUR. I saved my complementary burger on the first day for the second day for when I watch the rugby. They only gave me my second day complementary burger because the first day burger was for the first day only. What a joke SPUR! Will think twice before I support SPUR again. If you say you sponsor every rider with 3 burgers I think it is just fair if the rider can decide when he wants to eat his burgers.

Appart from this incident it was a really good experience and will be back again in the future.

First time doing the w2w. What an incredible experience it was. Best trails I have ever done. Water points were really good.

Only one complaint I have was for SPUR. I saved my complementary burger on the first day for the second day for when I watch the rugby. They only gave me my second day complementary burger because the first day burger was for the first day only. What a joke SPUR! Will think twice before I support SPUR again. If you say you sponsor every rider with 3 burgers I think it is just fair if the rider can decide when he wants to eat his burgers.

Appart from this incident it was a really good experience and will be back again in the future.

Strange. FIL punched 2 holes in his Spur band on day 1 and got the 2 burgers and I did the same on day 2.

Hands down one of the best stage races I've done. Great vibe, awesome food and the trails were lovely! 

Only downside was not having snacks available in between meals but not a big issue. 

Will definitely be back next year.

I would be a little hesitant to knock Spur as a whole and rather look at it as an isolated incident.  Perhaps a staff member only worked with the information he/she was given.

Imagine if 800 cyclist all decided, that they are "saving" their burgers for Sunday, they would then need to be ready to produce 2400 burgers for that day instead of 800 daily.  Chaos

Spur is deeply involved with sport and mountain biking in particular, in this country.

10 year Sponsorship renewal for the Spur School Mountain Bike League = Spur

Development School Cycling Programs = Spur

That little logo you saw during the Rugby World Cup = Spur

Not sure if you have seen the bike clinics, rides, get together that Ariane has with the kids = Spur

I will stop here...

Dont bite the hand that feeds you, literally in this case... ;)

Great event as always. Still the same territorialism over bean bags in the rider lounge souring the lounge experience.

Some lekker #gees during the rugby final 

Trails were running better than ever. Dried up enough during the week to offer a mostly dry experience and those bits that were muddy made it lekker interesting.

New / old sections in Lebanon were a welcome addition but the short cut was a complete stuff up as they ended up penalising in error a few teams that had not taken the get-to-the-rugby-final shortcut.

food at the waterpoints was actually better than expected; really decent sports nutrition not a lunch spread.

Food in the dining tent was superb. 

Sadly that overall EPIC feel has crept in but that's to be expected.

I'll be at the Switchback next year. Hopefully some okes will have been for skills training then!

Edited by DieselnDust

Look at it from their perspective: they have set up the logistics to deliver X burgers on each day of the event. To keep track of who has what when and carry Y burgers over to Z day is simply not feasible.

And sure: choosing when you'd like to have it would be incredible in a perfect world (and schedule your mechanical for the day after you finish the race :w00t: ). 

Edit: I cannot quite believe I defended the Spur.  :blink:  :huh:

Edited by tinmug

I think expecting to get two burgers on one day is a bit much.

Ranks up there with expecting a three course buffet at the water points.

the race says you get one burger per day and that's it. There's also food in the dining tent from 11 am till 8pm.

We grabbed our spur burgers and ate them with extra food in the dining tent over lunch. There was enough food to gain a full kilogram over 2days....

Seriously, they sponsor shedloads of MTB events and clinics, they give you free burgers, and all you can do is moan. If I was the spur dude when you were moaning about two burgers, I would have just taken yours back from you and told you to sort yourself out.

Seriously, they sponsor shedloads of MTB events and clinics, they give you free burgers, and all you can do is moan. If I was the spur dude when you were moaning about two burgers, I would have just taken yours back from you and told you to sort yourself out.

Thats the thing. I didn't get my free burgers. Thats why I am moaning.