pista

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed.

Well played UAE..they were ready for this day.[emoji123]

I'm really proud of the team," Pogacar said. "They did such a big effort. We were dreaming of the yellow jersey from the start. Amazing.

"It was not just me today, we needed the whole team for the recon. I knew every corner and knew exactly where to accelerate. Congrats to all my team.

"I didn't hear anything on the radio in the final five kilometres because the fans were too loud so I just went full gas.

I'm really proud of the team," Pogacar said. "They did such a big effort. We were dreaming of the yellow jersey from the start. Amazing.

"It was not just me today, we needed the whole team for the recon. I knew every corner and knew exactly where to accelerate. Congrats to all my team.

"I didn't hear anything on the radio in the final five kilometres because the fans were too loud so I just went full gas.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji4]

Bikehub Admin should consider doing a full feature article on John Wakefield and Doctor Jeroen Swart's involvement in this historic moment for South Africa at the pinnacle of cycling.

I need something to send to my non-cycling friends and family to explain the gravity of this achievement.

When last did a debutant win the TDF?

Winning Tour de France on first occasion

Eleven cyclists won the general classification the first time they entered the competition.

1903 – Maurice Garin (FRA) in the first ever Tour de France

1904 – Henri Cornet (FRA)

1905 – Louis Trousselier (FRA)

1947 – Jean Robic (FRA), first Tour de France after World War II

1949 – Fausto Coppi (ITA)

1951 – Hugo Koblet (SUI)

1957 – Jacques Anquetil (FRA), first of 5 victories

1965 – Felice Gimondi (ITA)

1969 – Eddy Merckx (BEL), first of 5 victories

1978 – Bernard Hinault (FRA), first of 5 victories

1983 – Laurent Fignon (FRA)

2020 - Tadej Pogačar (SLO)

Disclaimer: This is the first thing I searched from using the iOS 14 Wikipedia widget.

In his Tour de France debut (first entry) in 1969, Merckx immediately won the yellow jersey (overall leader), the green jersey (best sprinter) and the red polka-dotted jersey ("King of the Mountains" - best climber in the mountain stages). No other cyclist has won the three jerseys in one Tour de France, and only Tony Romingerin 1993 and Laurent Jalabert in 1995 have been able to match this feat in any Grand Tour (cycling). Both were in the Tour of Spain. Merckx was only 24, so would have won the white jersey (for best rider under 25 years of age) but the Tour de France did not give a white jersey until the 1970s.

Not taking anything away from the great effort the youngster put in today (it was a great ride) but I see that Lantern Rouge was having a go at Jumbo for the way they failed to attack Pogacar throughout the race, taking little wins along the way and leaving the door open for today’s great effort.

This echoes something I was saying on here a while back already, perhaps they have themselves to blame.

Not taking anything away from the great effort the youngster put in today (it was a great ride) but I see that Lantern Rouge was having a go at Jumbo for the way they failed to attack Pogacar throughout the race, taking little wins along the way and leaving the door open for today’s great effort.

This echoes something I was saying on here a while back already, perhaps they have themselves to blame.

Ifs and buts.. that's sport... [emoji2368]

Roglic said that he just didn't have the legs today...these things happen..

Edited by Gen

Been saying this all along. They took control too early and then didn't drive the advantage home to game set and match.

Hopefully they learn from it and come back with different tactics next year.

Man, have to recover from what went down yesterday.... real epic stuff, i mean epic, as the true greats of the sport have won on first try. This was one of the best, hands off to LeTour for making such a stage possible... it really had us on the edge of our seats...

So we roll into Paris hey? that is one amazing feeling for the riders and having stood and watched them, each guy is so super pumped that they've reached the end, but make no mistake, those hot laps are nothing but flat out. I was in awe at how quick they came up before the turn around point at the Arc, insane that you can go so fast on those crap cobbles. The whole place is such a buzz, people from all over the globe united for the love of this sport.  must do on your bucket list!

Viva.Viva La France

Enjoy the last one guys, not sure what we going to do tomorrow? TDF hangover... LOL

And between all of this Hirschi is awarded the Super Combative award..

Yeah great talent, his valued has doubled  no doubt, a good rider with a hard hard mind set. The guy can win against the best of them, much respect.

Bikehub Admin should consider doing a full feature article on John Wakefield and Doctor Jeroen Swart's involvement in this historic moment for South Africa at the pinnacle of cycling.

I need something to send to my non-cycling friends and family to explain the gravity of this achievement.

Brilliant idea...100% just has to ensure that they don't burnout this young star! 

Brilliant idea...100% just has to ensure that they don't burnout this young star!

I think with Jeroen and John and their DS they have his future in safe hands. LA and GH were saying they have a lot of respect for the DS at UAE.

Right now the young man has to keep it upright, cross the finish line so he can send Fabio to the bottle store for a few beers and champagne (he's not old to buy alcohol in France).

Probably has to make some time to lose his virginity too lol

I didn't know Enric Mas was also a youngster, he's been around the pointy end for what seems a while. There are some power riders on the first page of white jersey comp